Buffalo Bills: Damar Hamlin collapsed and taken to hospital

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I know you didn’t. I’m saying the league deserves criticism. The leaders on the field knew what the right thing to do was. Commentators knew what was right. People at home knew what was right. But somehow it took an hour for the league to figure it out.

Thanks. They got it right in the end.

Standing ovation for Bills leaving the field was a beautiful gesture by Bengals fans.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

I’ll give the nfl the benefit of the doubt that the 5 minutes was just standard protocol locally called by the refs and the delay to pause the game really wasn’t about struggling to make the decision, but making sure all parties necessary were consulted and informed first and the stadium had time to prepare. If anyone is to blame it’s the head ref on the field not thinking immediately to contact HQ to call it. 

Hoping for the best. Classy Bengals keep it classy 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I’ll give the nfl the benefit of the doubt that the 5 minutes was just standard protocol locally called by the refs and the delay to pause the game really wasn’t about struggling to make the decision, but making sure all parties necessary were consulted and informed first and the stadium had time to prepare. If anyone is to blame it’s the head ref on the field not thinking immediately to contact HQ to call it. 

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I won't. Hamlin was on the field for almost 15 minutes before the ambulance left. This is MNF so the entire league is tuned in and can immediately contact that stadium. They called and said give them a 5 minute warmup and then start. Both coaches said no, thankfully.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Exactly.

Just ftr, I do not have an issue with either of your thoughts on this.

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

now if this is true. The respect I have for McDermott and the Bengals coach is huge. The only adults in the league there tonight. Hope the NFL isn’t this dense. 

I think Zac Taylor and Sean McDermott said they weren't playing and mutually agreed to pull their teams.

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I won't. Hamlin was on the field for almost 15 minutes before the ambulance left. This is MNF so the entire league is tuned in and can immediately contact that stadium. They called and said give them a 5 minute warmup and then start. Both coaches said no, thankfully.

100% right.  They new he was in a life and death situation and expected the Bills to continue to play. 
I

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Zac Taylor and Sean McDermott said they weren't playing and mutually agreed to pull their teams.

The refs called the 5 minutes and the coaches immediately disagreed and left, I think we can be sure of that. It’s whether the league stepped in and said something prior to that exchange or argued with them after the exchange that’s in question. 

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

Also being reported that the NFL didn’t postpone the game until both teams said they aren’t going back out there 

Probably technically correct under the league's rules & bylaws.

Honestly don't give a flying fig if they make the Bills forfeit or call it a tie or do something else.

Took some time, but the right thing was done tonight.  Tomorrow is another day.  Hopefully they do the right thing then as well, regardless of what that is.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Probably technically correct under the league's rules & bylaws.

Honestly don't give a flying fig if they make the Bills forfeit or call it a tie or do something else.

Took some time, but the right thing was done tonight.  Tomorrow is another day.  Hopefully they do the right thing then as well, regardless of what that is.

I agree.  I’d rather them forfeit the game than have to them struggle to complete it.  
1st seed doesn’t seem so important at the moment 

Was not watching but caught a replay; this was terrifying. It was nerve-wracking just watching the players’ responses. The best news is that team medics and paramedics were there immediately and he’s now getting the best medical attention possible. 
If any of you have little ‘Spacers make sure to talk and listen and help them process it (and give them a hug).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Was not watching but caught a replay; this was terrifying. It was nerve-wracking just watching the players’ responses. The best news is that team medics and paramedics were there immediately and he’s now getting the best medical attention possible. 
If any of you have little ‘Spacers make sure to talk and listen and help them process it (and give them a hug).

"Little 'Spacers" 

In Love Singing GIF by The Voice

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm surprised to realize I'm not cynical enough to believe that.

Could see it being true but not as horrible as it seems on 1st glance.  (And it could be just as bad as it's being made out to be if it is true.)

There have been several instances through the years of guys being paralyzed coming off the field with the games completing.  Can't recall any not being completed.  Making a decision from 800 miles away could see how Goodell & his staff didn't fully understand the emotion of the moment.  Seeing the player hooked up to the AED is way more traumatic to the guys right there.

He'll get roasted for it, but not positive it's justified.   (Though it may very well be.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.