🏒 Buffalo @ Columbus, 7 December 2022 7:30 PM ET, TNT TV, WGR Radio

Doohickie

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

One of the most interesting things about watching this game was the commentary during the periods. Each of the commentators basically made the same comment/observation that it is clear that this team has mastered the art of offense. But in order to make the leap from an interesting and entertaining team to being a serious team, they have to sacrifice some of their offensive style of play to a more responsible defensive game. In this game, the Sabres didn't show that they can do it just yet. (My opinion.) Clearly, the goaltending is not good enough. Also, this team gives up too many quality chances to the opposition. Once there is a better balance between the offense and defense, this team will be a factor. We're not there yet. 

The announcing team in the studio started off very bad.  They were prepped beforehand to talk about the Sabres bad defensive stats without any other background.  None of them know the Sabres.   If they did, they would have at least mentioned something about them having 3 and 4 defensemen out during the 8 game losing streak.  The problem with this Sabres team is:  (1) lack of depth, (2) goaltending, and (3) lack of experience - and they were not prepared to cover that story.   That is poor preparation on their part - something that does not happen in National NFL coverage. 

At one-point before the game started "Hank" Lunquist said that maybe they should not play UPL, because the defense is not good enough. Really.  He said that.  

They read a few bullet points and then went out for drinks and dinner and had some fun.   That is what hockey players do.  Once the game went all Buffalo's way, and they saw our young talent in action, they had to adjust.  Even then they did it poorly with the Eichel vs Tage schtick.  What sense was all that?  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is such a strange obsession. Multiple threads with you posting love for a guy who hired Ralph Krueger. 

There aren't a lot 23 year old prospects that suddenly become Tage.

Yes but 23 is definitely young for a goalie

Who knows what UPL will turn into when he is a few years older.  

34 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

He's earned nothing since his junior days way back when.

Since joining the AHL, he's shown zero progress.

He should have been given the #4 job this year, and let him earn his way up.

And 2 years ago Dahlin should have been traded and Tage released.  He’s a young goalie, relax 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s what I’ve been saying for weeks.  If not now with our offense is at the top of the NHL, when are we ever going to flip the switch and try to win?  How many of the goals CBJ scored when Bryson and Pilut were on the ice? The answer is all of them.  Time to make a move.

Yes, you beat that drum pretty regularly.

I’ll just never understand why people who mop toilets (or nickname themselves after the tools of such) think it is fun to troll people on the internet. 

Dear mop of toilets, please find a new hobby. And congrats, you’re the person who encouraged me to learn the ignore feature of this website. Please wear this as a badge of honor.
I hope you one day feel that it is more redeeming to engage in discourse rather than rattle a can in people’s faces.  I hope something happens in your life that makes you happy enough to be decent to strangers who have a common bond (Sabres fandom). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I honestly don't remember when we were last on the right side of a blow out like that. I think it's been a long time. 

November 3, 2018, against the Ottawa Senators.  I clearly remember this because one of my Bills Backers friends owns a dive bar, and he opened early to let Sabres fans watch the game (I believe it was a noon start here in Texas).  We brought some munchies and stuff.  Every time the Sabres scored we did a shot.  I had to wait around a while after the game ended to sober up so I could drive home.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, JohnC said:

One of the most interesting things about watching this game was the commentary during the periods. Each of the commentators basically made the same comment/observation that it is clear that this team has mastered the art of offense. But in order to make the leap from an interesting and entertaining team to being a serious team, they have to sacrifice some of their offensive style of play to a more responsible defensive game. In this game, the Sabres didn't show that they can do it just yet. (My opinion.) Clearly, the goaltending is not good enough. Also, this team gives up too many quality chances to the opposition. Once there is a better balance between the offense and defense, this team will be a factor. We're not there yet. 

Something to consider: While I haven't done the figures it seems like many here lament the fact (or perception) that our 3rd pair on D seem to be our main downfall defensively. If that's the case then the problems might not stem from the system or offensive style but it could simply be because of the skill of our bottom pair of defensemen. Back when Bryson and Pilut were new to the Sabres I thought that both of them showed promise and that down the line Bryson could be a nifty puck moving D guy. In retrospect I think that I was fooled only because of who I was comparing them with. My guess is that I thought they were better than what they actually were only because they were the tallest midgets on D. 

Having this team at this point in time pull back on their offense seems premature unless they are protecting a lead late in a game. Even doing that should be predicated on their opponent, amount of lead and other conditions that might affect the game. They are still finding their identity and although their offense appears very potent they are close but not even 1/3 into the season yet. Most people here agree that the team needs help on defense and goaltending. Waiting for Levi or Portillo to (hopefully) turn into good NHL goalies is an unnecessary gamble. The Sabres can afford to make a GT move and also pick up a defenseman or two to shore up this team. The big question isn't the contract cost to do this but what it will cost in players or draft picks to pull it off. If they can make these moves and do so within their overall short and long term plan then doing so is a no brainer. At this time GMKA may even be trying to do these very things but has to hold his cards close to his vest to not weaken his negotiating position. We don't and shouldn't know what he's working on. He's told us in general terms what their plans are and anything more would lessen his effectiveness and ability to do his job. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.