πŸ’ Buffalo @ Columbus, 7 December 2022 7:30 PM ET, TNT TV, WGR Radio

Doohickie

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

They should have allowed no more than 2 goals last night.Β  UPL's best and most consistent ability is to allow at least 1-2 goals a game that have no business being NHL level goals.Β  He gets beat cleanly from distance when he has clear views of the puck far far too often and it's due to terrible positioning.Β  It's like he doesn't know where he is in relation to the net sometimes when he comes out to challenge shooters and instead of using his 6'5" frame to take up more of the space, it's almost like he tries to be 5'10" by crouching down so far that is opens up more space than there should be, especially high blocker.

Analytics confirm what we see...he is one of the worst goalies in the NHL. He allows .597 goals per game more than expected(58th out of 68th), his GAA is 4.15 but xGAA is 3.55(61st out of 68th).Β  He should not be in the NHL.

NGL result was a bit satisfying for me after I posted this rough offhand breakdown yesterday

22 hours ago, Thorny said:

positionΒ Β  Β  Β  Β  Β grade

Β 

forwards Β  Β  Β  Β  A

defenceΒ Β Β Β  Β  Β  Β B

goalieΒ Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β D

Β 

overall - BΒ 

OR

Β 

forwards Β  Β  Β  Β  incomplete

defence Β  Β  Β  Β  Β incomplete

goalie Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β incomplete

Kinda lined up with the game. Fix the GT outright, shore up the D a little, profitΒ 

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Finding a goalie is not going to be easy and most teams are in the boat of looking for one.Β  Acquiring a guy like Comrie, and hoping he develops further, while maybe having Levi and Portillo in the wings is not a bad strategy.Β  But it should not be the only thing we do.Β  Β 

Toker, Dell, Andy, and Comrie - Adams has to get goalie play to a higher level.Β 

All that said, look at the cap money spent here.Β Β Looks like a bunch of "good" goalies do not stay good for very long.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

It’s definitely been a situation where you can see that Adams is trying, yet the degree of difficulty required in finding that addition was made so difficult in part by his own miscalculation in not paying to keep Ullmark. So he’s at once making reasonable attempts, yet to a significant degree it’s a situation of his making, in the first place. I wonder if he takes a mulligan on Ullmark and concedes to a bit more pay to get the deal done long before Beantown ever entered the fray, if given the chance.Β 

In the end it’s hard to torpedo a GM for any one individual move or lack there of, especially without knowing all the extenuating that could have worked against a deal. That’s why it’s best to look at a large timeframe - at the end of the day, results in addressing the position must be expected, full stop - ie, it wouldn’t be logical to think a GM with all the tools at their disposal didn’t have the means to better address the position, considering all available avenues, over a reasonably long period of time.Β 

The difficulty is determining the time frame. But I don’t think it’s logical to just expand that timeframe indefinitely forever more and say β€œwell what can be done?” In the end results must be expected over a reasonable timeframe.Β 

With this being his 3rd season as GM, and the rest of the roster seemingly ready, I can’t imagine anyone arguing that entering into next season, his 4th, in a similar spot re: GT could be in any way acceptableΒ 

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Goaltending is much harder in season to get a deal done before the deadline.Β  I just don't see KA giving up on Comrie after 11 games and Anderson has been very good.Β  UPL still isn't good however.

When do you see him addressing it? The offseason?

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

When do you see him addressing it? The offseason?

Like all questions, the answer is it depends. Β Off-season is the most likely answer. Β Hopefully Levi will be signed, UPL will be moved. Β I don’t see Comrie going anywhere.

I’d say the deadline is possible if we have more injuries and are in contentionΒ 

Β 

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Like all questions, the answer is it depends. Β Off-season is the most likely answer. Β Hopefully Levi will be signed, UPL will be moved. Β I don’t see Comrie going anywhere.

I’d say the deadline is possible if we have more injuries and are in contentionΒ 

Β 

Oh so like Levi/Comrie for next season? Was wondering if we were thinking we’d see an outside, proven addition or just riding what we have in systemΒ 

Waiting for Levi doesn’t surprise at all, just have to wonder if there’s an immediate plan for immediate supplementation should he not be ready. It’s a lot of eggs in one basket

53 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Oh so like Levi/Comrie for next season? Was wondering if we were thinking we’d see an outside, proven addition or just riding what we have in systemΒ 

Waiting for Levi doesn’t surprise at all, just have to wonder if there’s an immediate plan for immediate supplementation should he not be ready. It’s a lot of eggs in one basket

I think Levi is the starter in Rochester next season. Β I think he’ll need to adjust to the speed of pro hockey. Β What I’m hoping is someone like Adin Hill to compete with Comrie next year.

Over all I have been well satisfied with KA. I just believe he miss handled the whole goalie situation as thorny said about ullmark. And then I don't think he expected the young guns to be this good this fast. I believe we are two good defenseman or one good goalie away from making the playoffs. I believe KA's time-line was playoffs next year. It's just sad to endure one more year of not making it when we are this close. I just believe he could have been a little more aggressive in this past off-season and we would be well in the hunt for the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If this has already been covered then I apologize… Β does anybody know if Hulu/ESPN+ Will have this game available to rewatch for those who would like to rewatch it or in my case… Watch it because I missed most of it because my TNT was frozen for most of the game.

Good question. I was wondering myself. Last game on TNT never populated on ESPN+ as far as I know.Β 

23 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If this has already been covered then I apologize… Β does anybody know if Hulu/ESPN+ Will have this game available to rewatch for those who would like to rewatch it or in my case… Watch it because I missed most of it because my TNT was frozen for most of the game.

You missed it live, you missed it.

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Boo and hiss

Yep.Β  I learned that during the Detroit game:Β  I left after the OT to pick up something at the pharmacy; when I got back the shootout was done.Β  I never got to see any of the shots except the last round which was in the highlights.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.