Dylan Cozens has evolved into nearly(and soon over)a point per game player

matter2003

44 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I put my comment in the wrong place so let me try again ....

So, based on their ages this will still be an appropriate comparison to make next year as well.  👍

No. This is more of a “3-young-guys-that-are-the-potential-future-of-the-franchise-first-year-playing-in-league-together” type comparison.

I too think 55 pts is much more realistic for Cuzzie than 80 is, and that this line will cool off once the opponents get some film on them and start prioritizing defending them, and if and when the Sabres get back to being a team that generally gets the opponents' #1 goalies and A games.  Still, I wouldn't be shocked if Cozens hits 60 pts. 

More importantly, it looks like there is a pretty good likelihood that Cozens will develop into a quality #2 C, which is a precious commodity in the NHL, and gives the Sabres a good shot at a strong C group generally, if Savoie, Kulich, Östlund and/or Krebs can develop into a good #3 C.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Toilet_Mop said:

Lol

We'll have to wait and see. 

They have some things to work on, but they're already putting up points *and* suppressing chances against.  I'd like them be able to spend more extended times in the offensive zone instead of simply producing rush chances then falling back on defense.  But overall they are really burning it up out there and chances are they will only improve.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

We'll have to wait and see. 

They have some things to work on, but they're already putting up points *and* suppressing chances against.  I'd like them be able to spend more extended times in the offensive zone instead of simply producing rush chances then falling back on defense.  But overall they are really burning it up out there and chances are they will only improve.

There are times teams look simply overwhelmed against them...that's scary with them being so young.

Just now, Doohickie said:

cut.png

2 pretty good guys to be sandwiched between.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

that's scary with them being so young.

Indeed.

I think the thing that sets them apart from other lines, especially with younger players, is they are, all three of them, defensively very good.  I think it was Quinn that said in yesterday's postgame that they generate offense from sound defense.

They actively participate in the defense, but also remember how out-of-joint all of the forward lines looked when we had our defensive injuries.  You need sound defensive pairings and solid forward support to defend properly and quickly transition to offense.  The Cozens line is a poster child for that.

In general I do like that the Sabres often have a guy that will pull out of the defensive zone and streak down toward the opposing blue line when the Sabres get firm control in the defensive zone, and that the defenders know to look for the long bomb aerial outlet pass.  I think that's generated a lot of offensive chances for the team.  What sets the Cozens line apart is they are all so speedy that those long passes can quickly turn into 2- and 3-man rushes.

Edited by Doohickie

• 7 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.