Dahlin breaks the NHL record for consecutive games with a goal to start the season by Dman against Calgary!(UPDATE)

matter2003

Record is held by Lawrence "Baldy" Northcutt way back in 1932-1933 with the Montreal Maroons!

Dahlin is the only other defenseman besides Victor Hedman back in 2013-2014 to score in 3 consecutive games since ex-Sabre Calle Johansson in 1992-1993 did it with Washington.

UPDATE:  NHL apparently has concluded that Baldy played forward some of those games so he does not count in this record and it is Dahlin's alone!

Edited by matter2003
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Maybe that should be the thread title ? The title is a bit wordy in my opinion.

Then show the graphic you posted.

His goal scoring pace isnt the topic of the thread. The topic of the thread is that he can tie an NHL record for goals in consecutive games to start the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly wouldn’t say it’s “crazy” when a player, especially of Dahlin’s pedigree, develops...during the young-age time-frame when players generally develop. Especially when you add in the obvious Krueger factor. 

I think the words they were actually looking for was that they were “wrong”, not that Dahlin being good is crazy. 

I, others told anyone who would listen the data was there saying Dahlin would likely still be very good, acting like it’s crazily coming out of nowhere seems a bit disingenuous. 

This was always a *reasonable* possibility 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

I honestly wouldn’t say it’s “crazy” when a player, especially of Dahlin’s pedigree, develops...during the young-age time-frame when players generally develop. Especially when you add in the obvious Krueger factor. 

I think the words they were actually looking for was that they were “wrong”, not that Dahlin being good is crazy. 

I, others told anyone who would listen the data was there saying Dahlin would likely still be very good, acting like it’s crazily coming out of nowhere seems a bit disingenuous. 

I don’t believe that Chad was ever of the opinion that Dahlin was forever broken or anything like that.  I believe that in this tweet he was just trying to express that the improvement in Dahlin’s play over the last year has been extreme.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Skibum said:

Crazy that this record stands at just 4 freaking games after a century of seasons. Borque, Coffey, Lidstrom, Niedermeyer, Bobby freaking Orr? Nobody???

For clarity just in case, it seems the record is for the team's first games, not any four consecutive games.  Hopefully he gets one tonight and we can move on to the other mark which carries a lot more stature.  

Looked it up. 8 games, Mike Green. 

https://records.nhl.com/records/skater-records/scoring-streaks/longest-consecutive-goal-streak-defenseman

22 hours ago, shrader said:

The notes section at the end of this TSN recap says Lindy Ruff scored in the first 3 games of a season while with Buffalo.

Probably as a forward?

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

Shows what confidence can do...he was beaten down by Krueger and previous coaches and Granato lifted him up.

Sure would be something to have mentioned in the same breath as Baldy Northcutt.

Seriously though, I’d like to see him do it for two more games and own that record.

TSN talked about the Norris trophy predictions the other night. One analyst said it was Makar’s for the next ten years. I think he will win many of them but I’m sure Dahlin will be on a ballot soon. 

11 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t believe that Chad was ever of the opinion that Dahlin was forever broken or anything like that.  I believe that in this tweet he was just trying to express that the improvement in Dahlin’s play over the last year has been extreme.

No, Chad and Kevin we’re tweeting an awful lot about the fact we may have already seen Dahlin’s ceiling, during his down stretch

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, Chad and Kevin we’re tweeting an awful lot about the fact we may have already seen Dahlin’s ceiling, during his down stretch

I don’t Twitter, but I listen to their podcast.  Don’t recall them being especially down on Dahlin’s potential.  Could just be my memory though.

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t Twitter, but I listen to their podcast.  Don’t recall them being especially down on Dahlin’s potential.  Could just be my memory though.

Maybe the podcast is different, I don’t listen. But I am certain on the twitter content 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.