Hot Starts to the Season

Porous Five Hole

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd like to think you're right about Kulich, but I don't think you are. 

Rousek and Weissbach are definitely less than Quinn and imo Quinn isn't ready. Maybe in a limited capacity, but not really. Murray, well, he had moments last year but he's not as good as anybody on the current roster. I guess I'd accept that assessment of bottom 3. 

It's a drop off in all cases though, which was kind of my point. Depth to me is guys who can be inserted as equal to what's already there. Or very close. Pilut will apparently sub for Jokiharju and that too is a drop off imo. I'm not sure how many injuries this roster can handle before it totally drops off. Not that many more. Definitely not more to the D. 

Personally I think pilut outplayed Joker and Fitz to start but lhd him demoted.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Jackie Redmond at NHL Network is on board.

And that unbuttoned top button is.... attention getting.

She also touches on the Berglund thing.  She knows her stuff.

I like everything about that clip. She was on TSN (I think) earlier in her career and has been getting better all the time.

’these aren’t your I’ve lost my love of the game Sabres’ was great.

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I like everything about that clip. She was on TSN (I think) earlier in her career and has been getting better all the time.

Yeah, that was the Berglund... and actually ROR... forgot about that!  reference.  She knows the history and knows how to use it.

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Jackie Redmond at NHL Network is on board.

And that unbuttoned top button is.... attention getting.

She also touches on the Berglund thing.  She knows her stuff.

Only correction, this is the Dahlin era, not Tuch but he is a major piece. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

She raises a valid point that the turnaround seemed to click with the addition of Tuch.

I think granato did more. The Sabres played a bunch of bad games with Tuch before it finally clicked. Currently though, this team runs through Dahlin.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What team has a roster full of NHL talent in the AHL? I think your expectations are a bit inflated.

The 04-05 Buffalo Sabres

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

She raises a valid point that the turnaround seemed to click with the addition of Tuch.

Actually incorrect. For quite a while after Tuch started playing our record was as bad or worse, IIRC. We were losing games with Tuch. It was later in the year we started winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What team has a roster full of NHL talent in the AHL? I think your expectations are a bit inflated.

I'm talking about the ALMOST ready players. Pilut and Murray might fall into that although I think Murray's ceiling might have been reached and he's really not NHL caliber. 

The kind of player where you had a hard time deciding if he should stay up or go down at the beginning of the season and he ends up down due to his age or eligibility so you don't have to waive somebody (or for cap reasons). Quinn and Krebs are really that guy but they are already up. If we had a couple veterans up instead and Krebs and Quinn were call up guys, THEN I'd say we had depth. 

We're getting there. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think granato did more. The Sabres played a bunch of bad games with Tuch before it finally clicked. Currently though, this team runs through Dahlin.

This is how I remember it as well. 

We weren't good right away, first half, just by getting rid of Jack. 

We weren't good right away, as soon as Tuch got here. 

Obviously Jack being gone played a role in allowing the guys here to flourish, but we didn't get better through the simple act of removing him - he wasn't providing negative value. Very positive, actually, overall. And obviously Tuch played a big part in helping the turn around. And, like you said, Granato too.

Really, it was an amalgamation - and I think that's the theme of KA's tenure so far, TBH - doesn't he make decisions in combination with his team of staff, as well? The whole point of not needing Eichel is that it *wasn't* one player, like Tuch, shaping the turnaround. It's the group.

If I had to pick 2 players who were the true spearheads, it's gotta be Dahlin, who, again, was/is our MVP - his play in the second half was the biggest individual one factor, of many factors, in combination with I'd say as well, Tage's streak/play to end the year. It was Dahlin and Thompson finding a new level at the forefront, I think. 

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The 04-05 Buffalo Sabres

Actually incorrect. For quite a while after Tuch started playing our record was as bad or worse, IIRC. We were losing games with Tuch. It was later in the year we started winning. 

Tuch started at the end of December when the Sabres were holding fan raffles to see who would get to be between the pipes that night.  He didn't affect the end result but he was involved in pretty much ALL of the scoring in the next 2 months.  Which is likely why people think that's when the turnaround started.    But they were bad from November-February.  In that stretch, they had something like 15 points before he got in the lineup and 16 after prior to March.

When healthy in October, Anderson, & Tokarski too to a lesser extent, willed them to a good record.  When healthy the last 2 months they were good pretty much regardless of the goaltending.

The other reason IMHO Tuch coming back seemed to correlate to winning is they weren't having those painful, oh, crud, are they about to fall off the map again losses after he came back like they'd had in November & December.

Or at least not as many of them.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Tuch started at the end of December when the Sabres were holding fan raffles to see who would get to be between the pipes that night.  He didn't affect the end result but he was involved in pretty much ALL of the scoring in the next 2 months.  Which is likely why people think that's when the turnaround started.    But they were bad from November-February.  In that stretch, they had something like 15 points before he got in the lineup and 16 after prior to March.

When healthy in October, Anderson, & Tokarski too to a lesser extent, willed them to a good record.  When healthy the last 2 months they were good pretty much regardless of the goaltending.

The other reason IMHO Tuch coming back seemed to correlate to winning is they weren't having those painful, oh, crud, are they about to fall off the map again losses after he came back like they'd had in November & December.

Or at least not as many of them.

Yup. The funny thing with Tuch is his scoring cooled off about around when the team took off

• Agree 1

It's nice to see Quinn get a game.  I imagine that he'll get some shifts on a couple of the lines.  Nice to see him show some chemistry with a line.

Also looking forward to seeing Power with Lybushkin.  Hope they play well together.

Mainly just hoping for a strong consistent effort with another win.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Digger said:

It's nice to see Quinn get a game.  I imagine that he'll get some shifts on a couple of the lines.  Nice to see him show some chemistry with a line.

Also looking forward to seeing Power with Lybushkin.  Hope they play well together.

Mainly just hoping for a strong consistent effort with another win.

"Just win!" works better than "must win" for me, as a thread lead in 

Edited by Thorny

On 10/22/2022 at 8:15 AM, French Collection said:

On 10/22/2022 at 8:20 AM, Doohickie said:

Yeah, that was the Berglund... and actually ROR... forgot about that!  reference.  She knows the history and knows how to use it.

Frankly, she was brilliant in that clip.  I don't know much about her, but I'd read/watch her again.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.