Anders Bjork Clears Waivers, Has Been Assigned to Rochester

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Since He practiced with the team this AM, I imagine He is probably on the Trip to Western Canada and will be assigned to Rochester when they return in a week if(when)He clears.  That way if they sustain an injury a forward will be available. 

Wouldn't he have practiced because they needed to see Sheahan on the ice before taking him off IR and they wouldn't make Bjork watch practice rather than participate?

Taking him out west would make the logistics much more difficult should somebody get food poisoning from their pre-game meal & Okposo be too stiff to play that night.  Anders'd need to fly back to Ra-cha-cha when Riley would be activated off IR to take that 23rd active spot.

Way simpler to just send him down tomorrow so he can be ready for Wednesday's Bellville game.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

On the other hand, I think he knows he's at best a marginal NHLer and (although I'm not sure what his AHL salary is), he will still be getting paid to play the sport he supposedly loves.

Bjork is on a one way contract so he'll get his full salary, this year $1.8M even if with Rochester.  I know the cap numbers are different for the Sabres with sending him down but I believe Bjork gets his full salary regardless.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wouldn't he have practiced because they needed to see Sheahan on the ice before taking him off IR and they wouldn't make Bjork watch practice rather than participate?

Taking him out west would make the logistics much more difficult should somebody get food poisoning from their pre-game meal & Okposo be too stiff to play that night.  Anders'd need to fly back to Ra-cha-cha when Riley would be activated off IR to take that 23rd active spot.

Way simpler to just send him down tomorrow so he can be ready for Wednesday's Bellville game.

Can’t they just do a paper transaction where he stays with the team but is ineligible to play?

Just now, dudacek said:

Can’t they just do a paper transaction where he stays with the team but is ineligible to play?

Doubtful.  Because they'll have 24 healthy players when Sheahan is taken off IR.  And if Sheahan doesn't have a setback, he should be taken off IR.

If Sheahan isn't activated, then it could be a paper transaction to have him clear waivers prior to traveling out west as a courtesy for him so that if say Arizona were to claim him, he wouldn't need to fly to Ottawa before hopping on a plane to Phoenix.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Doubtful.  Because they'll have 24 healthy players when Sheahan is taken off IR.  And if Sheahan doesn't have a setback, he should be taken off IR.

If Sheahan isn't activated, then it could be a paper transaction to have him clear waivers prior to traveling out west as a courtesy for him so that if say Arizona were to claim him, he wouldn't need to fly to Ottawa before hopping on a plane to Phoenix.

I don't think the NHL does re-entry waivers anymore.  Now that Bjork has cleared waivers he can be recalled at any time and as long as he doesn't play 10 games or stay for 30 days he won't have to go through waivers again to be sent down even with a standard recall.  

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think the NHL does re-entry waivers anymore.  Now that Bjork has cleared waivers he can be recalled at any time and as long as he doesn't play 10 games or stay for 30 days he won't have to go through waivers again to be sent down even with a standard recall.  

That's correct.  They haven't had them for nearly a decade.  But they still can't have 24 healthy rostered players which they'll have tomorrow if Sheahan is activated & Bjork isn't in Ra-cha-cha, which is what the question was.

(And roster limits going away after the trade deadline has no bearing on this discussion.  For now, the limit is 23.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Digger said:

Bjork is on a one way contract so he'll get his full salary, this year $1.8M even if with Rochester.  I know the cap numbers are different for the Sabres with sending him down but I believe Bjork gets his full salary regardless.

Good for him.  That's a nice chunk of change.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Digger said:

NHL contracts are guaranteed.  He gets his salary where ever he plays.  If he clears waivers, the only exception I know of are if he refuses to go to the AHL like Bogo did a few years ago.  At that point the Sabres can terminate his contract.  Once he clears waivers, the Sabres would get 1.125 million in cap relief (not that it matters).  

Interestingly, capfriendly still has Bjork listed on the Sabres as a current roster player.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

17 hours ago, inkman said:

Based on a really small sample size but he looks like he could be a PPG in the AHL. 

No shame in that. Far from it. The A is (arguably?) the second best professional hockey league in the world.

A friend of mine has a kid (no longer a kid) who's made a career in the AHL. There have been probably fewer than 80 (?) NHL games along the way for him. The guy's into his early 30's now, has worn a letter for at least one AHL team, and has been smart with his money. Perhaps he hasn't lived "the" dream, but he's lived "a" dream.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

No shame in that. Far from it. The A is (arguably?) the second best professional hockey league in the world.

A friend of mine has a kid (no longer a kid) who's made a career in the AHL. There have been probably fewer than 30 NHL games along the way for him. The guy's into his early 30's now, has worn a letter for at least one AHL team, and has been smart with his money. Perhaps he hasn't lived "the" dream, but he's lived "a" dream.

There are definitely worse ways to earn a living

• Brawndo changed the title to Anders Bjork Clears Waivers, Has Been Assigned to Rochester
2 hours ago, mphs mike said:

There are definitely worse ways to earn a living

For sure. Once he's done, he'll have grossed ~$2.5M (hard to say exactly as those veteran AHL contracts often don't have reported value) in exchange for ~10 years of professional play. And like I said - he's been smart with his money. That'll be a sweet nest egg to sit on while he figures out his next chapter.

22 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

For sure. Once he's done, he'll have grossed ~$2.5M (hard to say exactly as those veteran AHL contracts often don't have reported value) in exchange for ~10 years of professional play. And like I said - he's been smart with his money. That'll be a sweet nest egg to sit on while he figures out his next chapter.

Realistically, with even basic investing and a middle-class lifestyle he doesn't even need a next chapter past "do whatever I want".

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

Realistically, with even basic investing and a middle-class lifestyle he doesn't even need a next chapter past "do whatever I want".

Fair, fair. But I mean - there were high marginal tax rates applied to a lot of those earnings and there was some spend down as the money was earned. I'm guessing he's sitting on a 6-figure pot (but probably < 750K). That'll set up nicely for retirement - probably an early one. But some cash flow in the meantime is probably needed.  

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.