2022 NHL Draft Day 1

GASabresIUFAN

20 minutes ago, shrader said:

How did the other multiple pick teams do?  That's a big part of why I hate most winner/loser draft analyses beyond the obvious prematurity of the whole thing, the multi-pick teams almost always default to winners.

Part of me likes to think that Arizona was so focused in on Cooley that they never even noticed that Wright hadn't been picked yet.

Former scout has his list. Check out his top four.

https://thepuckauthority.com/north-american-independent-central-scouting-final-2022-rankings/

1 hour ago, shrader said:

What exactly are they talking about, the moment where he stops smiling?  He's focused in the same direction the whole time (the camera) and stops in between pictures.  So did Bettman.

They are clearly looking at the photographer and he is smiling when the pictures are taken.  However, it does seem like his gaze shifts slightly each time he has that sneer look.   If the Canadiens' table was front-right, then he wouldn't have had to shift his eyes much to look right at them.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Closer to what happened to most, but I'm surprised that you didn't say, "his top five."  His fifth choice is pretty reassuring.

6 minutes ago, carpandean said:

They are clearly looking at the photographer and he is smiling when the pictures are taken.  However, it does seem like his gaze shifts slightly each time he has that sneer look.   If the Canadiens' table was front-right, then he wouldn't have had to shift his eyes much to look right at them.

Closer to what happened to most, but I'm surprised that you didn't say, "his top five."  His fifth choice is pretty reassuring.

Didn't notice the floor arrangement, but at the NHL Draft, typically when looking out from the stage, the team w/ the 1st pick is to the front right.

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

FWIW. the Athletic rates the Sabres draft day #1. (Might be behind a paywall.)

https://theathletic.com/3401481/2022/07/08/nhl-draft-first-round-winners-losers/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=4620774

For those who missed this:

Winners

1. Buffalo Sabres

Pick: 9. C/RW Matt Savoie 
My ranking: No. 4 (change: -5)

Pick: 16. C Noah Östlund 
My ranking: No. 23 (change: +7)

Pick: 28. C/LW/RW Jiri Kulich
My ranking: No. 22 (change: -6)

If the goal was to draft slick, skilled players, the Sabres sure did with their first two picks. If the goal was to draft centres, they took three kids capable of playing down the middle.

I knew that whoever grabbed Savoie in the 8-10 range was likely going to have made one of my favourite picks of Day 1, and lo and behold that’s how I feel about this pick now that the first 32 selections have been made. He’s an explosive skater with maybe the quickest first three strides in the draft, a shot and hands that also grade out right at the very top of the draft, and dogged, high-energy, never-stop-moving approach. For what it’s worth, too: I think he’s going to be a centre, the Sabres’ strong pool’s only real need, to boot.

Östlund is a slippery, playmaking centre who is, like Savoie, also one of the better skaters in the draft. He doesn’t skate with the power that Savoie does, but he’s a light, airy skater with soft hands and a standout two-way game.

And Kulich is exactly the kind of player who excels alongside players like Savoie and Östlund. He’s got one of the best shots in the draft (especially his one-timer) but he’s also a complete hockey player with a pro build, a driven on-ice approach, soft hands, and impressive balance and control over his skates.

Arguably the league’s best pool just got better

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

For those who missed this:

Winners

1. Buffalo Sabres

Pick: 9. C/RW Matt Savoie 
My ranking: No. 4 (change: -5)

Pick: 16. C Noah Östlund 
My ranking: No. 23 (change: +7)

Pick: 28. C/LW/RW Jiri Kulich
My ranking: No. 22 (change: -6)

If the goal was to draft slick, skilled players, the Sabres sure did with their first two picks. If the goal was to draft centres, they took three kids capable of playing down the middle.

I knew that whoever grabbed Savoie in the 8-10 range was likely going to have made one of my favourite picks of Day 1, and lo and behold that’s how I feel about this pick now that the first 32 selections have been made. He’s an explosive skater with maybe the quickest first three strides in the draft, a shot and hands that also grade out right at the very top of the draft, and dogged, high-energy, never-stop-moving approach. For what it’s worth, too: I think he’s going to be a centre, the Sabres’ strong pool’s only real need, to boot.

Östlund is a slippery, playmaking centre who is, like Savoie, also one of the better skaters in the draft. He doesn’t skate with the power that Savoie does, but he’s a light, airy skater with soft hands and a standout two-way game.

And Kulich is exactly the kind of player who excels alongside players like Savoie and Östlund. He’s got one of the best shots in the draft (especially his one-timer) but he’s also a complete hockey player with a pro build, a driven on-ice approach, soft hands, and impressive balance and control over his skates.

Arguably the league’s best pool just got better.

Until it counts when it counts (Oct-Apr), or at least until we get a goalie (#itsnotatanktank),… meh.

I’ve lost count of how many times we’ve won the offseason.

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.