Rasmus Dahlin has evolved and is good

LGR4GM

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

I have a theory (I think many people agree) that tall/long limbed players (6’3” Dahlin, 6’4” Ekblad, 6’6” Hedman) take longer to develop into their best selves than more compact/smaller players (5’10” Hughes, 5’11 Makar and Fox).

Such as Thompson?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I have a theory (I think many people agree) that tall/long limbed players (6’3” Dahlin, 6’4” Ekblad, 6’6” Hedman) take longer to develop into their best selves than more compact/smaller players (5’10” Hughes, 5’11 Makar and Fox).

Though Ekblad was already a man at 18 but I think your point is absolutely valid 

plus Dahlin is already on his 3rd coach, each telling him something different. 

55 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Though Ekblad was already a man at 18 but I think your point is absolutely valid 

plus Dahlin is already on his 3rd coach, each telling him something different. 

Yeah, I think weight/muscle mass is commonly part of it, I think part of it is also coordination of those long limbs and their long sweeping movements, as opposed to the compact shorter movements of smaller players.

Ekblad also had some injury issues that might have prevented him from blossoming sooner.

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I totally agree with this.  Just look at Tage Thompson.  Took him till now to grow into his body.  

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I don't agree entirely. Rosen is a 5'11" guy who is going to take years to develop like some of these guys mentioned. Fox btw, is already 24. 

It's just dependent on body maturity. Noah Warren isn't going to suddenly become better because of being big. He's already physically mature. 

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Has there ever been two defensemen selected #1 OA on the same team?

Probably, at least in some Legwand-esk capacity. I'd be curious if they were drafted this close together by the same team though.

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I found two other teams in addition to the Sabres:

The Caps in ‘74 and ‘76

The Sens in ‘95 and ‘96

Joly and Green never played together.

Neither did Berard and Philips.

30 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s not how I read your question. 

Sorry what I meant to say was have 2 defensemen selected #1 OA ever play together on the same team?

I can't find any... 🤔

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

He's become exactly what he showed in Frolunda, he got his groove back and just went with it.  Shed his anxiety of shooting and entering the zone and just has gone full bore. 

It’s great to see, too. Seems like he’s starting to realize he’s better than most of the players he faces on a nightly basis and knows he belongs now. And he’s just scratching the surface. And he’s not even 22 years old yet!

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, K-9 said:

It’s great to see, too. Seems like he’s starting to realize he’s better than most of the players he faces on a nightly basis and knows he belongs now. And he’s just scratching the surface. And he’s not even 22 years old yet!

Another great thing to see, he's usually always smiling.  Unlike some former franchise faces!

• Like (+1) 3

I've noticed 2 significant improvements in his game... 

He's quicker (acceleration and small area speed) and much more physical.     

Those were two areas he needed to improve to take the next step. 

That said, he'll need to continue to work on his foot speed, and overall strength, I think there's still a few more levels he could reach.

• Like (+1) 1

To me, this is where I want Rasmus to be from a physicality standpoint going forward.  He is playing the body, standing up for himself and his teammates, and isn’t easily moved off the puck.  
He’s hard to play against. 

If he obtains more man strength, it just multiplies the above.
Anything more would probably increase injury risk.  I don’t need him trying to Scott Stevens body check people and I definitely don’t want him throwing fists.  

His current physicality baseline in conjunction with his continued flourishing of driving of puck possession will put him in elite company. 

25 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I've noticed 2 significant improvements in his game... 

He's quicker (acceleration and small area speed) and much more physical.     

Those were two areas he needed to improve to take the next step. 

That said, he'll need to continue to work on his foot speed, and overall strength, I think there's still a few more levels he could reach.

I’m not so sure that his actual skating is quicker, but I think he is being much more decisive and confident in his actions.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1