GDT: 2/23/2022 Sabres at Canadiens, 6:30 pm CT (that's 7:30 ET for you Buffalonians) MSG, WGR

Doohickie

3 hours ago, SabresVet said:

Buffalo hasn't beaten a likely playoff team since January 13th at Nashville.  Their wins after that are OTT, PHI, AZ, MON, and NYI.  

You keep expectations reasonable for a rebuild in year 1, but the consistent effort, defensive improvement, etc. isn't happening under this HC.  

The rebuild is regressing. 

If you're only counting wins as success you're simply measuring losses. 

Individual players are improving but again, not enough talent, eakin needs to go, young guns are inconsistent. It's why I don't think we make the playoffs again next season. Gotta keep building talent and experience because 1 line can't do it all for 82 games. 

7 hours ago, Believer said:

We have 40 points and 31 games left…  if we can win at least 10 games… 30%… we can take a step to building a Win Culture… even in the first rebuild year… 

First rebuild year? I don’t know what Sabres team you’ve been watching but This team has been rebuilding since 2014

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If you're only counting wins as success you're simply measuring losses. 

Individual players are improving but again, not enough talent, eakin needs to go, young guns are inconsistent. It's why I don't think we make the playoffs again next season. Gotta keep building talent and experience because 1 line can't do it all for 82 games. 

Its been 8 years of losing. Yeah it’s well beyond time to start counting wins as success. Tage Thompson has been really the only player showing great improvement and he’s an RFA next season. With the financial constraints Adams appears to be under, what real contract will he be able to offer Thompson? 

Grigs, Olofsson, Cozens have been basically absent from the game. 

if Adams makes the right decisions, this team may be competitive in 5 years. Thats only if Adams makes perfect decisions and the Pegulas eases the purse strings.  I don’t see either happening.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

Its been 8 years of losing. Yeah it’s well beyond time to start counting wins as success. Tage Thompson has been really the only player showing great improvement and he’s an RFA next season. With the financial constraints Adams appears to be under, what real contract will he be able to offer Thompson? 

Grigs, Olofsson, Cozens have been basically absent from the game. 

if Adams makes the right decisions, this team may be competitive in 5 years. Thats only if Adams makes perfect decisions and the Pegulas eases the purse strings.  I don’t see either happening.

I don't agree with anything you've written here. 

In fact I think most of what you have written is factually wrong 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hmm, Okposo out & the team played w/ no heart.  Probably just a coincidence.  😉

Tuch with his worst game as a Sabre so far.  I'm not saying he played especially badly, but he wasn't the Force For Good he usually is.

I think taking Tage off that line was a mistake. 

Any recent chemistry was totally absent (and compounded by Joki's injury).

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

What a god awful mess that was.

The good players looked like *****, the ***** players looked like *****.

Burn the tape.

I've considered deleting this whole thread.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is Year One of the Adams/Granato regime. Nothing that happened 10 years prior has anything to do with the current Sabres. 

except the continued tradition of losing and finishing in the bottom 5 and accumulating draft picks that we hope will pan out eventually and not making the playoffs. That seems to carry over from the past 10 years.

• Thanks (+1) 1

It is understood that the Sabres are rebuilding. When it actually started has been a topic of discussion. To state the obvious more talent needs to be added to the roster before being considered a serious team. (That is as obvious as stating that water is wet.) I don't intend to be snarky but looking at the standings around the league how many teams can one claim that the Sabres are better than? If you look at some of the bottom teams in their respective division how many of those teams are better than the Sabres at this point? In our own division are we better than Ottawa or Montreal? I can't say that we are. Detroit is ahead of us in the standing but also in their rebuild process. Do we have more young talent than Jersey? I'm not sure. The one franchise I'm sure that we are better than is Arizona. It is a troubled franchise from a financial and ownership standpoint. Seattle is an expansion team in its first year. In the next few years will they have a faster rate of rebuilding than we will have?

I challenge anyone to go through the teams in the league. At present the number of teams that we are better than are less than a fistful. That is so sad. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Tuch with his worst game as a Sabre so far.  I'm not saying he played especially badly, but he wasn't the Force For Good he usually is.

I think taking Tage off that line was a mistake. 

Any recent chemistry was totally absent (and compounded by Joki's injury).

I've considered deleting this whole thread.

Why would you delete the thread?

Removing it won't change the fact that the team played arguably its worst game of the season.

The combination of still getting the new coach "freshness" along with playing in front of fans in their own building for the 1st time in well over a month combined with the Sabres leader out with some illness (the flu?) set up for a truly awful outing.  But, is what it is.  Hopefully St. Louis doesn't embarrass them twice in a row. 😉

17 minutes ago, eman said:

except the continued tradition of losing and finishing in the bottom 5 and accumulating draft picks that we hope will pan out eventually and not making the playoffs. That seems to carry over from the past 10 years.

And you were expecting what? The playoffs? Calling out a lack of success when a team is rebuilding is the weakest move. Yes. They aren't winning. They explained they weren't going to be winning right away. And yet...

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And you were expecting what? The playoffs? Calling out a lack of success when a team is rebuilding is the weakest move. Yes. They aren't winning. They explained they weren't going to be winning right away. And yet...

It’s not all fans… But there is a certain segment of fans that want to lump all these losing years… Into current times. Current coach. Current roster. Current GM. It’s spill over frustration. Some can’t separate the years of GMTM, GMJB, and GMKA. And the same in regards to the coaches.

One thing that is the constant… The same ownership group.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

To even think that this new rebuild will be "the successful rebuild" (of how many rebuilds in the last 10 years? how many?) is sure folly. The jury is out on this coach as he cannot seem to make this team "all that hard to play against"- Donnie's mantra. We have been going through the cycle for 10 years now and while there are talented pieces in Rochester, inevitably, you need a good coaching staff to play under with a good system in place. I am seriously doubtful under Granato now. Compete shows up every 4th or 5th game only. The defence continues to suck ass under 3 separate  Sabre coaches now and God bless Owen Power, hope we don't wreck him like Ristolainen and end up giving him way too many minutes per game. So tell me when "the winning starts". Do fans show up at the turnstiles past November next season knowing "winning isn't a priority", yet again? Also, when you go into a season with that mindset, you breed a "losing culture" which is all too much the case in Buffalo. At the very least, regardless of the talent assembled, you should be playing hard and competing for the puck and we aren't seeing it all that often under coach Granato.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I will try one more desperate time to say this. The Sabres are at least another full season away from the playoffs because they are young, they are still short on talent, and they need a steady pipeline of mature prospects graduating into the system. It sucks, I hate it. It is however the reality of the situation at hand and firing Granato after one season or firing Adams after 1 season (it is 1 season of him in charge), doesn't change those underlying facts. We either can keep drafting well and build up to what a playoff team is, or we can panic after one of the most predictable years and hit reset on the 3rd plan we have started and set ourselves back another 3-5 years... again. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.