Who Does KA Trade at the Deadline and What Does He Get For Them?

GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

After the Whistle podcast Peters says he's hearing the Sabre have a 1st on the table for a defenceman.

Friedman responded he hasn't heard that, but he wouldn't be surprised.

Peters then asked if it was true Chychrun is available.

Friedman says he is and his age and contract status fit exactly what the Sabres are trying to do.

This is a juicy detail that, if true, is something that I’d love to see, but if I had to guess, something a lot of the board would be weary against. The “don’t pull a Murray and try and jumpstart things” line of thinking...

IMO we have enough draft picks to use some as currency. It’ll be about the quality of the talent evaluation, that’s what it’ll come down to: I don’t think the idea itself is a bad one. 

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

After the Whistle podcast Peters says he's hearing the Sabre have a 1st on the table for a defenceman.

Friedman responded he hasn't heard that, but he wouldn't be surprised.

Peters then asked if it was true Chychrun is available.

Friedman says he is and his age and contract status fit exactly what the Sabres are trying to do.

Giving up a first for a LHD makes 0 sense without a corresponding move. You'd have to trade Samuelsson or Johnson for rhd or forward help. 

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is a juicy detail that, if true, is something that I’d love to see, but if I had to guess, something a lot of the board would be weary against. The “don’t pull a Murray and try and jumpstart things” line of thinking...

IMO we have enough draft picks to use some as currency. It’ll be about the quality of the talent evaluation, that’s what it’ll come down to: I don’t think the idea itself is a bad one. 

I think the idea is a great one.  Use one of those picks to get a solid vet D man to bolster the development of the kids.  I just wish the player being rumored wasn't a player on the only team that matches Buffalo for futility.  I'd want a player with a playoff resume.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

At first I hated this, but I just checked he's under contract for long enough and cheap enough that it is a good move.

Overall though, in a cap world I'd never give up 1st's and blue chip ELC's for guys you're going to have to pay $$$$$ in another year or so. That's the biggest (but not the only) reason why we sucked coming out of the 1st tank.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Giving up a first for a LHD makes 0 sense without a corresponding move. You'd have to trade Samuelsson or Johnson for rhd or forward help. 

Even then, with a Samuellson or Johnson trade, it had better be a rhd. Dahlin and Power should hold down the top 2 LHD spots of the future, and whichever of those two prospects left should slot in nicely on the third pair. And if they don’t, Bryson is not a bad option for 3rd pair.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

At first I hated this, but I just checked he's under contract for long enough and cheap enough that it is a good move.

Overall though, in a cap world I'd never give up 1st's and blue chip ELC's for guys you're going to have to pay $$$$$ in another year or so. That's the biggest (but not the only) reason why we sucked coming out of the 1st tank.

Right. 23 years old, 4.6M cap hit through the 24/25 season. I'd love to get him, but it depends on the ask. 

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Even then, with a Samuellson or Johnson trade, it had better be a rhd. Dahlin and Power should hold down the top 2 LHD spots of the future, and whichever of those two prospects left should slot in nicely on the third pair. And if they don’t, Bryson is not a bad option for 3rd pair.

Agreed.  Eric Cernak anyone?

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

It was interesting watching the WJC exhibition game today.

You guys have slowly won me over on the need to play your natural side.

But Canada and Russia didn't have a RHD playing today between them.

Maybe it's not as universal as you think.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

For me the issue lies in the total value for the organization. If we are paying high value for a LHD, and playing him on his off side, he is likely going to play worse than he would on the left defense. We’d be paying the price of the LD player, which would be an overpay for the value he brings on the right side. If we were to keep him on the left, then we’d have to shift another player over, let’s say Dahlin for this example. We’d be paying fair value for the LD, but then also make Dahlin play worse, which means the value of the trade likely isn’t there for us.

While Chychrun doesn't have to play the left side, what is his highest and best use?

Next season we are starting with LHD Dahlin, Bryson, Power, Samuelsson at the NHL level.  Where does Chychrun fit? Doesn't he bring the same general skill set of Dahlin, Power and to a lesser extent Bryson?  I just don't see the need.  If we need another puck mover, we have a guy developing very nicely according to the Amerks HC in Laaksonen and he is a cheap RHD.  

Give me a veteran stay at home D to help mentor Power and Dahlin and who can still play.  That should be our agenda, not another puck mover and offensive oriented D from another loser organization.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While Chychrun doesn't have to play the left side, what is his highest and best use?

Next season we are starting with LHD Dahlin, Bryson, Power, Samuelsson at the NHL level.  Where does Chychrun fit? Doesn't he bring the same general skill set of Dahlin, Power and to a lesser extent Bryson?  I just don't see the need.  If we need another puck mover, we have a guy developing very nicely according to the Amerks HC in Laaksonen and he is a cheap RHD.  

Give me a veteran stay at home D to help mentor Power and Dahlin and who can still play.  That should be our agenda, not another puck mover and offensive oriented D from another loser organization.

Jan Rutta!!!

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Russia’s only right hand shooter was Askarov, their goalie.

Their teams from the 70’s and 80’s were like that, almost all LH.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.