Jack Quinn is fine and probably good.

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think you have to born January 1 or later to be eligible if I understand the rules. Quinn would not but Peterka would be eligible. 

Basically if the tourney ends in 2022 you have to be born Jan 1 2002 or after to be eligible. 

I think they'll release him because Germany needs him and it would be a big deal personally for him to go. 

Thanks.  I wonder if Peterka really wants to go to the WJC actually.  I know it's a big deal to play for your country but he has now played in 2 WJC's.  Maybe he wants to keep doing well with Rochester and maybe get a couple of games with the Sabres to show that he could play for Germany in the Olympics.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they'll release him because Germany needs him and it would be a big deal personally for him to go. 

You might be right, his personal feelings might play into this.

NHL teams usually only release players who are playing 2ndary roles, AHL teams don’t have a lot of precedent.

Its worth considering that last year’s German team was much better than this year’s and that he’s already played two tournaments and proven everything he needs to at that level.

His buddy Reichel is in exactly the same situation with Chicago’s farm team, but he didn’t play last year because of injury. Adding both of them would certainly boost Germany a ton.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I will say Dahlin has been better in the regular season so far than he was in the preseason (where he was awful) but he still runs around too much and gets caught out of position. Pairing him with a positionally stronger and more reliable partner helps him a lot and I would question Granato's decision if he pairs him back with Jokharju again when he returns. 

I also think Dahlin's decision making is slow and flawed. Carries the puck alone when he should pass it and to a lesser extent vice versa. Many of the basic fundamentals of his D game are weak and that's on the Sabres, not him. maybe it's slowly being corrected now, but idk. 

I think Butcher is by far a better fit with Dahlin as well, because Butcher gets the puck out of the defensive end faster and I believe is more of a offensive threat, so that allows Dahlin more time to run the point on offense because the defense has to account for Butcher and his great passing skills and his tendency to take shots from the Blueline. I have never been a fan of Joki and putting him with Dahlin who has brainfarts in the DZone, leads to alot of "WTF are you doing" moments, because Joki in my opinion has a ton of those moments as well.

Haag by far has been a huge addition to the defense, he understands shooting lanes and is also the enforcer on the team and protects our smaller young guys if another team targets them.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nozlen said:

Haag by far has been a huge addition to the defense, he understands shooting lanes and is also the enforcer on the team and protects our smaller young guys if another team targets them.

....and can get it on net from 200 feet away.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2021 at 4:05 PM, LGR4GM said:

There's lots of Rossi talk and I get it. There's even some Lundell talk. 

But we have Jack Quinn and I'm not saying he's gonna be better than those guys but since his hernia healed he's really starting to settle into the AHL and JJP is a great linemate. The point is, I think Quinn is going to be fine even if we wait another year or two to see it. 

Quinn is a fine prospect and can finish, to me like Olofsson he needs someone in the engine running it for him.  Enter Peterka.  That's my only begrudging remark against him.  He's a finisher; if he doesn't have a productive player who sees the ice better, he's not truly effective.  Lundell is a supremely more talented hockey player, both with and away from the puck.  Rossi is as well.  That being said, I like Jack and he's here. 

Edited by Rasmus_
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nozlen said:

I think Butcher is by far a better fit with Dahlin as well, because Butcher gets the puck out of the defensive end faster and I believe is more of a offensive threat, so that allows Dahlin more time to run the point on offense because the defense has to account for Butcher and his great passing skills and his tendency to take shots from the Blueline. I have never been a fan of Joki and putting him with Dahlin who has brainfarts in the DZone, leads to alot of "WTF are you doing" moments, because Joki in my opinion has a ton of those moments as well.

He sure is making a case to be in line up full time 

3 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Quinn is a fine prospect and can finish, to me like Olofsson he needs someone in the engine running it for him.  Enter Peterka.  That's my only begrudging remark against him.  He's a finisher; if he doesn't have a productive player who sees the ice better, he's not truly effective.  Lundell is a supremely more talented hockey player, both with and away from the puck.  Rossi is as well.  

Great. Quinn is the only guy you named in the Sabres organization, soooo…

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

Great. Quinn is the only guy you named in the Sabres organization, soooo…

I was commenting on a post, I didn't discredit Quinn, he's a quality prospect.  He'll be a fine addition to the line up.  That's all.  Peterka is the better prospect. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nozlen said:

It's counter intuitive that the offense-first LH D that can play either side that historically has had problems in his own end is a better fit to pair with the much better version of that than Jokiharju is, but here we are.  On paper, the 2 way Jokiharju who was actually good in his own end when paired w/ the more defensively minded 2 way player Scandella should be an ideal partner for Dahlin, but the pairing simply hasn't worked to date.

Am hopeful that Granato will see this & try Henri with Bryson when he's ready to come back.  At this point have no issues w/ choosing Miller or Henri to sit depending upon opponent.

Would not break up Dahlin- Butcher and would not break up Hagg-Pysyk.  Bryson has been very good on the PK even though the 2 goals given up have come through his side on very well executed passes (to the back side against the B's & from the missed net shot pass in Joisey).

Which leaves Miller or Henri as odd man out.

And, to your point on Hagg, as said previously, he's been way better than expected.

When Samuelsson is healthy would consider sending him down to get game action as though the team on paper really needs a true defensive defenseman, not sure that he should go in ahead of Henri (especially with not having played in a month).  In all the Botterill era, the D was always a strength on paper but not in practice.  Now that it should be a budding tire fire it's actually a strength.  Seems to be a true testament to Steve Smith's coaching ability.

And, no, did not see this hodge podge of D being a strength.  Hopefully they can keep it up.  There's no reason to believe they can't.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

Quinn is a fine prospect and can finish, to me like Olofsson he needs someone in the engine running it for him.  Enter Peterka.  That's my only begrudging remark against him.  He's a finisher; if he doesn't have a productive player who sees the ice better, he's not truly effective.  Lundell is a supremely more talented hockey player, both with and away from the puck.  Rossi is as well.  That being said, I like Jack and he's here. 

Olofsson has 4 goals and 6 points in 6 games with Tage Thompson in his engine room.

To your point, Quinn drove his own line to the tune of 52 goals in junior. To argue otherwise would tell me you didn't watch.

He's played 15 games as a 19-year-old in a men's league with a hernia since, and 3 more as a healthy 20-year-old. Seems a little premature to decide he's a sidekick, no?

His coach just this week called him a line driver.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rasmus_ said:

You are talking about the Sabres 8th overall draft pick Jack Quinn correct? I can't agree with this. I think JJ is a disruptor and that helps Quinn but I've seen him drive his line in juniors and his 2way game is good enough that he essential was a shutdown winger at the WJC last year for Canada. He is a finisher because he shot is elite but there is more under the hood.

What I think we see is that JJ's flair meshes very well with Quinn's smarts. Quinn can and does transition the puck well and JJ then goes in like a pittbull with a chew toy, and attacks the puck in the offensive zone. Quinn gets into space and into positions to support that pursuit and then manufactures his offense from there. It seems a very complimentary pair IMO. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

When Samuelsson is healthy would consider sending him down to get game action as though the team on paper really needs a true defensive defenseman, not sure that he should go in ahead of Henri (especially with not having played in a month).  In all the Botterill era, the D was always a strength on paper but not in practice.  Now that it should be a budding tire fire it's actually a strength.  Seems to be a true testament to Steve Smith's coaching ability.

or lack thereof

It is truly amazing how poorly run the coaching side of things was in the last 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You are talking about the Sabres 8th overall draft pick Jack Quinn correct? I can't agree with this. I think JJ is a disruptor and that helps Quinn but I've seen him drive his line in juniors and his 2way game is good enough that he essential was a shutdown winger at the WJC last year for Canada. He is a finisher because he shot is elite but there is more under the hood.

What I think we see is that JJ's flair meshes very well with Quinn's smarts. Quinn can and does transition the puck well and JJ then goes in like a pittbull with a chew toy, and attacks the puck in the offensive zone. Quinn gets into space and into positions to support that pursuit and then manufactures his offense from there. It seems a very complimentary pair IMO.

Agree with this take wholeheartedly. Well said.

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

or lack thereof

It is truly amazing how poorly run the coaching side of things was in the last 2 years. 

The restraint you are showing not giving us a 20 paragraph dissertation on the Sabres bad drafting in your response is ground breaking for you.  Much appreciated. 

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, inkman said:

The restraint you are showing not giving us a 20 paragraph dissertation on the Sabres bad drafting in your response is ground breaking for you.  Much appreciated. 

I don't consider Quinn to be bad drafting. Risky drafting for sure. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

Olofsson has 4 goals and 6 points in 6 games with Tage Thompson in his engine room.

I'm surprised @inkman didn't jump on this one, but I guess Tage only checks of the blonde part of his two-part checklist.

Speaking of assets, it's always a pleasure to read @LGR4GM. I keep telling myself I'll engage more on prospects (both in the system and in the draft) but life continuously adds more crazy and I just can't find the energy. Thanks for the good analysis.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.