Shopping Jack Eichel: Toronto

dudacek

Will they be interested?

There are maybe three teams in the NHL whose top six would not be dramatically improved by adding Jack Eichel. Toronto is one of them. Toronto is also the only team in the league with three $10 million players. Not much room for another.

Do they have the pieces?

They have no high picks, or 5 star prospects, or enough intriguing pieces to put together a competitive package and cap space is an issue. They do, however, have a distraught fan base who will be demanding a sacrifice.

Would this work?

Marner and Robertson for Eichel

Eichel is better than Marner, plays a more premium position, and has a better contract. He is also easily the best player that might be made available for Eichel, and vice versa. Robertson is the most attractive add. It's absolutely crazy, but if team decides its time to move on, they will not get a better piece in return.

Is there a deal to be made with the Leafs?

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

No, trading a center and getting two wingers back I’ll pass.

Even if Marner is one of the better in the gas 

Even if the alternative is a centre like Marco Rossi or Alex Turcotte?

(Not disagreeing, just asking)

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Even if the alternative is a centre like Marco Rossi or Alex Turcotte?

(Not disagreeing, just asking)

Let's say hypothetically the LA deal of Turcotte and Vilardi (not Kaliyev) for Reinhart were to do though. And the Leafs off Marner and Sandin/Roberston for Eichel. How does this alter the next season in Buffalo? 

Skinner (meh)--nobody--Marner

Roberston-- Mitts/Villardi/Turcotte--Cozens

Olofsson-Mitts/Villardi/Turcotte--Tage

Gigs--Mitts/Villardi/Turcotte-R2

To me that looks no better. Neither Villardi or Turcotte or Mitts should be slotted next year any higher than top six. There's an off-chance our bottom-9 in improved, but we are going to be left with a gapping hole at 1C. I don't see how a TO trade works. We need a Byfield, Newhook, Zegras coming back or we need to anticipate another top-5 pick.

Just for the record, I think Turcotte tops as a strong 2C, Vilardi as a strong 3C (assuming his back hold ups) and Robertson a top-6 wiger. Byfield has 1C potential but I worry he will top out at as a strong 2C. Newhook I have somewhere better Byfield and Turcotte. Marner's cap hit is higher than Jack's so no money is being saved. The Reinhart money could go to Danault, but all you're getting there is a strong 2C. The bottom-9 just isn't capable enough to make up for the lack of first line. 

Edited by #freejame

Well I wouldn't trade Eichel for Matthews cause Matthews has already proven he's playoff incapable. Eichel might be too, but we don't know yet do we.

Really, I don't want any of those Toronto "stars" cause every year they keep proving that their model is the wrong way to build a hockey team.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

If the Sabres are trading Eichel, they simply have to re-sign Reinhart.

Why? I see no reason for this to go together. If we're cleaning house we should scrub hard and clean it all. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well I wouldn't trade Eichel for Matthews cause Matthews has already proven he's playoff incapable. Eichel might be too, but we don't know yet do we.

Really, I don't want any of those Toronto "stars" cause every year they keep proving that their model is the wrong way to build a hockey team.

Why? I see no reason for this to go together. If we're cleaning house we should scrub hard and clean it all. 

I think trading both mistake. Unless Jack and Rhino are dead set against being here I want them both. They are not our problems, at least on ice, and that's been a problem with this team trading the good players and keepng mediocre or misfitted players. We need depth quality to fill out not tear dowm. I know we disagree on this but we've done what you're suggesting and results were not good. Upgrade our goal position first. 

Edited by Radar

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Colorado has continuously refuted this. The only difference between the amount of skill in Colorado and the amount of skill in Toronto, at least up front, is Colorado is massive and skilled whereas Toronto is simply skilled. Colorado also has a backend that is lightyears better but too much skills and too many stars are not the issue. 

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Is it still believed that Matthews is more talented and a better player than Eichel?

without the handicap of recency bias?

Yes.  Looking at their entire body of work and their impact to the team.  Mathews is better. 

This is absolutely the best of the deals we've seen proposed in this series 

We'd be getting a player it could actually be argued is as good as Jack. Most probably wouldn't but there's an argument there and none of the other deals had close to that. Add in the injury concerns and we may get the better asset in the long run. Add in Robertson? This is a reasonable trade. 

Edited by Thorny

8 hours ago, Radar said:

I think trading both mistake. Unless Jack and Rhino are dead set against being here I want them both. They are not our problems, at least on ice, and that's been a problem with this team trading the good players and keepng mediocre or misfitted players. We need depth quality to fill out not tear dowm. I know we disagree on this but we've done what you're suggesting and results were not good. Upgrade our goal position first. 

I disagree with all of this as you know, except for the bolded. Goalie should be the starting point imo not an after thought like we've handled it. Murray was not wrong in getting a top goalie to build off of, he just might have (arguably) got us the wrong one and overpaid for him. The idea was correct though. We go nowhere without dominant goaltending. We've missed the boat on that so far (hope for UPL). 

7 hours ago, #freejame said:

Colorado has continuously refuted this. The only difference between the amount of skill in Colorado and the amount of skill in Toronto, at least up front, is Colorado is massive and skilled whereas Toronto is simply skilled. Colorado also has a backend that is lightyears better but too much skills and too many stars are not the issue. 

But Colorado is built entirely differently. Yes, they have a top line, all great teams do, but as you say the back end is key. The point is unless you get to cap cheat like Tampa you can't have all those star contracts and have enough left over to build that back end and have a well balanced team.   

47 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I disagree with all of this as you know, except for the bolded. Goalie should be the starting point imo not an after thought like we've handled it. Murray was not wrong in getting a top goalie to build off of, he just might have (arguably) got us the wrong one and overpaid for him. The idea was correct though. We go nowhere without dominant goaltending. We've missed the boat on that so far (hope for UPL). 

Agree on the goalkeeper. We'll have to disagree on trading off Jack/Rhino unless, of course , they just don't want to be here. And that's a distinct possibility of course.

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yes.  Looking at their entire body of work and their impact to the team.  Mathews is better. 

maybe but we have to admit Matthews has been put in a better situation from Eichel with Supporting cast.  

7 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Nope. Always thought, to my eyes Marner was somewhat overrated by the Toronto-biased media (as is Morgan Reilly); the fact Mitch hasn't scored a goal in 18 playoffs games just confirms it to me.

I think Marner is a great player but try to find one puck battle he won in the entire 7 game series.  

As many delay of the game penalties as he has playoff goals...thats damning

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

With Girard, Toews, Makar and Byrum in the Top 4 for the foreseeable future, unfortunately for Him there probably isn’t a fit 

He will try anyway and he already stated he would go to UFA to explore his options.   If you trade for him its for nothing more than a rental.

Yeah maybe Toronto should send Marner for him 🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.