2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

Marco Kasper

Rögle GM Chris Abbott on Kasper:

"Very cerebral. Kid taught himself Swedish the summer before he came here so that he could do his full high school here at the Swedish high school. Character off the charts.”

With one of those later first rounders, this is the type of guy I would want. The production might not get there but he's at worst a 3rd line center in the NHL. This is a player that I think if he had spent all season in the J20, he'd have good production and would have really shown out more. Basically I think he is underrated value and in the early 20's I want guys like him. As the quote notes, he's smart and driven too. 

Okay so.... if the season ended today and everyone finished where they are currently in the standings the Sabres would have the following picks and here are the players I would be curious to see us take in roughly those spots based on some of what Scott Wheeler just put out.

Sabres, 4th overall: Simon Nemec RHD or Logan Cooley C. Nemec is the RHD we need and would be perfect for the #2 spot on any team, he has good everything. Cooley is smart, fast, and hard working. He plays center which is something I think many want more of. 

Knights, 21st overall: Marco Kasper C or Liam Ohgren LW. I have a soft spot for Kasper because I just enjoy the mature game he plays, he is better Jack Hughes (2022). I think there is more offense to be found. Ohgren has really great J20 numbers and I think he has a good translatable game, always bet on production. 

Panthers, 31st overall: Owen Beck C or Elias Salomansson RHD. Beck is a player I like who does everything well and I think suffered from not playing last year. I think he is actually better and will be better, you are gambling a little on future here. Salomansson is similar in that you are gambling a little on future. Salomansson though is a Aug 31st bday which means he could be the Zellweger of this draft and the j20 numbers back some of that up, he is very raw still and makes mistakes.

Sabres, 36th overall: Luca Belluz C/LW or Sam Rinzel RHD. Luca Belluz just keeps scoring in the OHL to the tune of roughly Jacob Perrault level of p1/gp which is pretty good for a 36th OA. He has some skating questions but everything else is there. Rinzel is a gamble but his 3 USHL games make you a believer and his HS #s are very good. I need to actually find some stuff of his to watch because I am reaching a little. 

Sabres, 68th overall: Rieger Lorenz C or Filip Bystedt C. Lorenz is one of the AJHL guys and they are really hard to pin down because that league has allllll the scoring. Hence why he is in the 3rd round, good skating, decent size, crushing the AJHL for DY scoring and is going to Denver next year. Bystedt is probably a safer pick, he plays in the Swe J20 and has some decent numbers, even playing some SHL this year. He is a sturdy 2-way C that doesn't have a ton of flash.

*Note*, any and all the players I have slotted into these spots could be gone already. This is my rough guesstimation of some decent players that could be available based on the mid season rankings that we have. The only position I excluded while doing this was LHD because this draft doesn't have a lot of good ones and it is not worth spending draft capital on them when you can get the same level of talent at another position. For example we could take Pavel Mintyukov at 21 but why would we when Kasper and Ohgren are in the same tier of talent?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Sabres, 36th overall: Luca Belluz C/LW or Sam Rinzel RHD. Luca Belluz just keeps scoring in the OHL to the tune of roughly Jacob Perrault level of p1/gp which is pretty good for a 36th OA. He has some skating questions but everything else is there. Rinzel is a gamble but his 3 USHL games make you a believer and his HS #s are very good. I need to actually find some stuff of his to watch because I am reaching a little. 

Son of b***h. Ask and you shall receive

The Chaska High defender is an overwhelmingly dangerous puck carrier; fearless like a formula-1 driver travelling at 260 KPH, manipulative like a hypnotist and as poised as a Broadway actor.

Edited by LGR4GM

On 2/14/2022 at 12:04 PM, LGR4GM said:

Okay so.... if the season ended today and everyone finished where they are currently in the standings the Sabres would have the following picks and here are the players I would be curious to see us take in roughly those spots based on some of what Scott Wheeler just put out.

Sabres, 4th overall: Simon Nemec RHD or Logan Cooley C. Nemec is the RHD we need and would be perfect for the #2 spot on any team, he has good everything. Cooley is smart, fast, and hard working. He plays center which is something I think many want more of. 

Knights, 21st overall: Marco Kasper C or Liam Ohgren LW. I have a soft spot for Kasper because I just enjoy the mature game he plays, he is better Jack Hughes (2022). I think there is more offense to be found. Ohgren has really great J20 numbers and I think he has a good translatable game, always bet on production. 

Panthers, 31st overall: Owen Beck C or Elias Salomansson RHD. Beck is a player I like who does everything well and I think suffered from not playing last year. I think he is actually better and will be better, you are gambling a little on future here. Salomansson is similar in that you are gambling a little on future. Salomansson though is a Aug 31st bday which means he could be the Zellweger of this draft and the j20 numbers back some of that up, he is very raw still and makes mistakes.

Sabres, 68th overall: Rieger Lorenz C or Filip Bystedt C. Lorenz is one of the AJHL guys and they are really hard to pin down because that league has allllll the scoring. Hence why he is in the 3rd round, good skating, decent size, crushing the AJHL for DY scoring and is going to Denver next year. Bystedt is probably a safer pick, he plays in the Swe J20 and has some decent numbers, even playing some SHL this year. He is a sturdy 2-way C that doesn't have a ton of flash.

*Note*, any and all the players I have slotted into these spots could be gone already. This is my rough guesstimation of some decent players that could be available based on the mid season rankings that we have. The only position I excluded while doing this was LHD because this draft doesn't have a lot of good ones and it is not worth spending draft capital on them when you can get the same level of talent at another position. For example we could take Pavel Mintyukov at 21 but why would we when Kasper and Ohgren are in the same tier of talent?

Cooley or Nemec is one tough call.  Think you can’t go wrong with either pick  

but I lean Cooley.   Then pick up a RHD later on rd 1

Edited by Crusader1969

19 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Defenseman take way too long to develop rather trade that pick for  a Established player.

Simon Nemec could be in the NHL next season (2022) or if they want to slow play it, they could give him 1 more year in the Slovakia league. Considering the Sabres will not be contending for a Stanley Cup next season, I would rather use the pick on a player of his caliber instead trading it for an older player who is undoubtedly a lesser player. 

20 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Cooley or Nemec is one tough call.  Think you can’t go wrong with either pick  

but I lean Cooley.   Then pick up a RHD later on rd 1

There will be multiple RHD into the 2nd and maybe 3rd round for teams to pick from. You could conceivable do this. 

Now that Slafkovsky is obviously going 1st OA How is that going to change everything?😛

The Sabres pick this year will really be dictated by their draft position and where the teams picking in front of them see these players. Which is always the case but this year there doesn’t seem to be any real structure of where these kids are ranked and it could be a real free for all as far as where players are picked this season. This year more then any I don’t think the draft sites rankings will match up with the individual team’s internal rankings.

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Simon Nemec could be in the NHL next season (2022) or if they want to slow play it, they could give him 1 more year in the Slovakia league. Considering the Sabres will not be contending for a Stanley Cup next season, I would rather use the pick on a player of his caliber instead trading it for an older player who is undoubtedly a lesser player. 

There will be multiple RHD into the 2nd and maybe 3rd round for teams to pick from. You could conceivable do this. 

You are much more knowledgeable than I on the draft but Ramsay not playing this kid in the Olympics doesn't give you a little bit of buyer beware to pick him so high?? I think I'd rather pick a C or forward with that pick than a Dman especially since unless everyone hits with our young upcoming guys and core we still need some help up front.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Now that Slafkovsky is obviously going 1st OA How is that going to change everything?😛

The Sabres pick this year will really be dictated by their draft position and where the teams picking in front of them see these players. Which is always the case but this year there doesn’t seem to be any real structure of where these kids are ranked and it could be a real free for all as far as where players are picked this season. This year more then any I don’t think the draft sites rankings will match up with the individual team’s internal rankings.

I tell you a big kid with what appears to be an elite shot, he certainly didn't hurt his draft ratings the past week or so.

19 minutes ago, jsb said:

You are much more knowledgeable than I on the draft but Ramsay not playing this kid in the Olympics doesn't give you a little bit of buyer beware to pick him so high?? I think I'd rather pick a C or forward with that pick than a Dman especially since unless everyone hits with our young upcoming guys and core we still need some help up front.

What do you mean not playing him? Nemec has played in the Olympics. 

But no, 17yr olds (he just turned 18 I think yesterday) not playing in Men's tournaments doesn't really give me any pause at all. 

As to the bold, we have no RHD coming up that are NHL guys. I don't think Laaksonen's defense will ever be NHL good enough. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What do you mean not playing him? Nemec has played in the Olympics. 

But no, 17yr olds (he just turned 18 I think yesterday) not playing in Men's tournaments doesn't really give me any pause at all. 

As to the bold, we have no RHD coming up that are NHL guys. I don't think Laaksonen's defense will ever be NHL good enough. 

I fully agree with the bolded portion but we also have 3 other picks in the top 40 of this years draft, RDs are available later than that top 5-6 picks plus with Dahlin and Power on the left do we really have a need for another top pick Dman over a same tier forward at that spot??

13 minutes ago, jsb said:

I fully agree with the bolded portion but we also have 3 other picks in the top 40 of this years draft, RDs are available later than that top 5-6 picks plus with Dahlin and Power on the left do we really have a need for another top pick Dman over a same tier forward at that spot??

I think I can find Logan Cooley's in the top 10 of most drafts. In deep drafted like 2019 you find them in the top 15-20 even. Nemec, that's a guy available in the top 5 every other draft or so. For example in 2020 you have Drysdale as the top RHD but he is probably a level below Nemec and maybe even Jiricek. 

Let me actually look at the last 5 drafts from 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 and see if my initial post here is correct. I might be wrong, maybe you are right and cooley should be a target over Nemec. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Really think the way to go (providing something crazy doesn't happen) is getting Jiricek/Nemec if available w/ that 1st pick & then get another C & RHD with the 2 later picks.

Would set them up for from 2 years out w/ a reasonable chance of icing a hybrid of the '06 vintage Sabres (lots of good/very good F's w/ no true elite guy, though w/ the sheer numbers also the ability to have a couple put up close to elite #'s) & Nashville (3 1/2's, a 2/3, and 2 4's & a beeeotch to play against) presuming at least 1 of the 3 goalies pan out.  Would also leave them w/ a viable pipeline to sustain that for a few years.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really think the way to go (providing something crazy doesn't happen) is getting Jiricek/Nemec if available w/ that 1st pick & then get another C & RHD with the 2 later picks.

Would set them up for from 2 years out w/ a reasonable chance of icing a hybrid of the '06 vintage Sabres (lots of good/very good F's w/ no true elite guy, though w/ the sheer numbers also the ability to have a couple put up close to elite #'s) & Nashville (3 1/2's, a 2/3, and 2 4's & a beeeotch to play against) presuming at least 1 of the 3 goalies pan out.  Would also leave them w/ a viable pipeline to sustain that for a few years.

I think Jiricek will be more likely, as Nemec probably goes Top 4 easily. 

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Would agree.  But if the Sabres win the 2nd lottery draw, then they're both most likely in play.  (And, not that the league would ever cheat at a lottery were it even possible, but a top 3 pick sure wouldn't hurt in getting fans back in the stands.  Just sayin'. 😉 )

• Like (+1) 1

Okay... in 2020 you had Drysdale (5th) and Sanderson (19th) as the top 2 RHD taken. I wouldn't put either on the level of Nemec and not sure I would put them at Jiricek level either. 

2019 you have... Seider (6th) as the first righty and he is really good. A great example of a Euro RHD that came over and immediately makes an impact. Next you have Soderstrom (11th) definitely a level below Nemec and Jiricek. 

2018 you have... Boqvist (8th) who is starting to kinda carve out a role. Idk if I would put him on the Nemec/Jiricek tier but would be on the tier below. Bouchard (10th) was underdrafted and is on that tier. 

2017 you have... Makar (4th) and he's assuredly on the Nemec/Jiricek tier and is probably on the level above and was so in his draft year. Next is Cal Foote (14th) and he definitely a level below. 

2016 you have... McAvoy (14th) and he's pretty good and on that level with Nemec/Jiricek. Then you have Fabbro (17th) who is a level below for sure. 

finally we have 2015... there is not a RHD taken in the first to mention. 

That gives us Seider (6th), Bouchard (10th), Makar (4th), McAvoy (14th) for guys in that level of Nemec/Jiricek or better that are RHD taken in the first round. I would say there are 4 players that fit into that Nemec/Jiricek level of defender. Personally I still like Jiricek's style more but Nemec's production can't be denied. Quick note I am not saying that either player will be those players listed, just that they profile out similarish or slightly below (Makar is unique). 

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I can see Nemec being the 3rd player taken. I think we end up drafted 6or so and I would be very comfortable taken Jiricek or Slafkovsky there, among other names that could be available. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay... in 2020 you had Drysdale (5th) and Sanderson (19th) as the top 2 RHD taken. I wouldn't put either on the level of Nemec and not sure I would put them at Jiricek level either. 

2019 you have... Seider (6th) as the first righty and he is really good. A great example of a Euro RHD that came over and immediately makes an impact. Next you have Soderstrom (11th) definitely a level below Nemec and Jiricek. 

2018 you have... Boqvist (8th) who is starting to kinda carve out a role. Idk if I would put him on the Nemec/Jiricek tier but would be on the tier below. Bouchard (10th) was underdrafted and is on that tier. 

2017 you have... Makar (4th) and he's assuredly on the Nemec/Jiricek tier and is probably on the level above and was so in his draft year. Next is Cal Foote (14th) and he definitely a level below. 

2016 you have... McAvoy (14th) and he's pretty good and on that level with Nemec/Jiricek. Then you have Fabbro (17th) who is a level below for sure. 

That gives us Seider (6th), Bouchard (10th), Makar (4th), McAvoy (14th) for guys in that level of Nemec/Jiricek or better that are RHD taken in the first round. I would say there are 4 players that fit into that Nemec/Jiricek level of defender. Personally I still like Jiricek's style more but Nemec's production can't be denied. Quick note I am not saying that either player will be those players listed, just that they profile out similarish or slightly below (Makar is unique). 

I can see Nemec being the 3rd player taken. I think we end up drafted 6or so and I would be very comfortable taken Jiricek or Slafkovsky there, among other names that could be available. 

Slafkovsky is my choice based on what I saw last night.  He may be NHL ready next year.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Slafkovsky isn’t a C or a RD, but I would be happy with him depending on how the board falls.

A lineup with Tuch, Thompson, Cozens, and Slafkovsky seems like it would be a handful.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not to nitpick but you mean Braeden Schneider who was taken 19th by the NYR. Sanderson is LHD Sens took right before Drysdale.

What are Nemec’s and Jircek’s defensive games like because that is what the Sabres really need on the backend, a RHD that can anchor Dahlin or Power and let them play their game offensively.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.