2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

image.png.e976e99e26f46a4e20973c18affb635b.png

Alright I used the consolidated rankings (up until it says 29, because they only go to 32) to make this easier and then roughly put in the other RHDs of interest that fell outside of that. I tried to rough out where they should be drafted by round for the non consolidate guys. I haven't read up or watched much or anything on a chunk of these guys but at this stage the consolidated rankings and their production give us a decent feel. I think some of them are overrated in that consolidated but whatever. 

I would also toss Sept 16th born and RHD Christian Kyrou into this list in that 2nd/3rd area. He is tops in the OHL for draft eligible defenders in P1/EV

46 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Woof. It was bad but I got to here and just kinda was done with it. 

"was a tough blow to Jiricek as he’s expected to miss several weeks." While that was the initial hope, it is widely known Jiricek had surgery and is expected to be out 3-4 months. 

Wait no... he has Beck ranked in the top 32, okay that's fair. Still not sure you want to rank Cooley over Wright though. 

In my research on Rosen I realized that the 2023 draft currently has 3 players either at the top or in the top 4 of ALL players for p1/egp in those respective league. 2023 is going to be absurd. 

That said, I think OHL players really need long hard looks this draft season. What they do in the last 25 or so games is going to be really important since they missed a year of dev. Bel Belluz, Wright, Beck, Goyette, Zhlikin are the 5 OHL guys I will probably focus on. Poitras might work his way in there too. It is just really hard to evaluate the production when they had a year off and if they make up for that, where does that place them in terms of the draft? Is Owen Beck secretly a #2 center on par with a Cozens level guy? Unclear but it is possible. Bel Belluz has skating issues but if he had another year to fix them would they go away or be good enough for the NHL? Unclear but it is possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Figured out what the Sabres should do with their other 1st round pick (the one that will be in the early 20s) 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/690807/gleb-trikozov

Why?

Why not:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/578989/maveric-lamoureux

I'm also thinking Jiricek would be good around that 5th spot. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why?

Why not:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/578989/maveric-lamoureux

I'm also thinking Jiricek would be good around that 5th spot. 

Drafting defenders that are below .5ppg while playing in the Q is fine... in the 3rd round... maybe the 4th round really. If Buffalo were to draft Lamoureux in the 20s, yikes. 

Lamoureux is 30th in the Q for p1/gp and Luneau is 27, I would avoid both in the first round at this point. Lamoureux is also 2nd to last on his team in +/- which should make pie unhappy. 

Edited by LGR4GM
added more info

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

In my research on Rosen I realized that the 2023 draft currently has 3 players either at the top or in the top 4 of ALL players for p1/egp in those respective league. 2023 is going to be absurd. 

That said, I think OHL players really need long hard looks this draft season. What they do in the last 25 or so games is going to be really important since they missed a year of dev. Bel Belluz, Wright, Beck, Goyette, Zhlikin are the 5 OHL guys I will probably focus on. Poitras might work his way in there too. It is just really hard to evaluate the production when they had a year off and if they make up for that, where does that place them in terms of the draft? Is Owen Beck secretly a #2 center on par with a Cozens level guy? Unclear but it is possible. Bel Belluz has skating issues but if he had another year to fix them would they go away or be good enough for the NHL? Unclear but it is possible. 

A) that next year’s draft is so much stronger legitimately scares me in terms of what our aims might be. 

B) Re: OHL - it’s nice to remember that Adams emphatically did away with the CHL avoidance last draft 

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Drafting defenders that are below .5ppg while playing in the Q is fine... in the 3rd round... maybe the 4th round really. If Buffalo were to draft Lamoureux in the 20s, yikes. 

Lamoureux is 30th in the Q for p1/gp and Luneau is 27, I would avoid both in the first round at this point. Lamoureux is also 2nd to last on his team in +/- which should make pie unhappy. 

And 6’7 195 lbs is not an attractive package. He is not a giant punishing dman. He is gangly as can be.

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

And 6’7 195 lbs is not an attractive package. He is not a giant punishing dman. He is gangly as can be.

I’d say it depends on his frame.  Is he narrow shouldered/framed or is he just skinny right now?  Gangly is ok for an 18 year old, he’ll gain weight, but someone with a slight frame will find it difficult to be a physical defenseman.

Probably more important than anything else:  is he good at hockey?  Is he better at hockey than other 1st round options?  I haven’t watched him play, but his numbers are not very impressive relative to 1st round picks.  For comparison, Mattias Samuelsson’s numbers were quite a bit better.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Don't you argue that +/- is an outdated meaningless stat?

Guy is 6'7" strong and a decent puck handler. He's ranked anywhere from 15 to 50, sportsnet and Bob MacKenzie have him around 28, 29, which is where I'm putting him. He would need time and development, but I see him as another Samuelsson but on the right side. What we need. He'd be a 2nd round steal, but I'd jump on him with the late 1st because of the positional need. 

and his name's Maveric. That's worth moving him up a few slots just for the sheer joy of being able to talk about him. 

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't you argue that +/- is an outdated meaningless stat?

Guy is 6'7" strong and a decent puck handler. He's ranked anywhere from 15 to 50, sportsnet and Bob MacKenzie have him around 28, 29, which is where I'm putting him. He would need time and development, but I see him as another Samuelsson but on the right side. What we need. He'd be a 2nd round steal, but I'd jump on him with the late 1st because of the positional need. 

and his name's Maveric. That's worth moving him up a few slots just for the sheer joy of being able to talk about him. 

Got it, you saw he was tall and decided you wanted him. 

Also the only place he's ranked 15 is central scouting where they stupidly split na and euro players rankings

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Got it, you saw he was tall and decided you wanted him. 

Also the only place he's ranked 15 is central scouting where they stupidly split na and euro players rankings

Oh please, in today's game, you want/need defenders with strength and reach. At 6'7" he has that possibility. We already have speedy puck movers, we need more defenders. 

We are talking about a very late first rounder here not a top 10.

But here's the real question. Do you not think he is comparable to Samuelsson and could be of similar worth? (You were probably against picking him when we did too I'd guess)

Look in the late 2nd I might take him, but in the first, right now in early February, no. 

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh please, in today's game, you want/need defenders with strength and reach. At 6'7" he has that possibility. We already have speedy puck movers, we need more defenders. 

We are talking about a very late first rounder here not a top 10.

But here's the real question. Do you not think he is comparable to Samuelsson and could be of similar worth? (You were probably against picking him when we did too I'd guess)

No, I don't think he's comparable to Samuelsson 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.