2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

19 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

This is a good one for the size debate thread.

Basically exactly what I posted and why I was looking at some of the taller prospects from this draft. 

The Sabres need to mix in some more big guys who play with some snarl. 

Every championship team has some and this Sabres team does not, currently. 

On the Sabres ice atleast.  

19 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Spend 6 paragraphs talking about how important size is... proceeds to list none of the sizes of the prospects they go on to rank. 

9 minutes ago, Norcal said:

This is a good one for the size debate thread.

Basically exactly what I posted and why I was looking at some of the taller prospects from this draft. 

The Sabres need to mix in some more big guys who play with some snarl. 

Every championship team has some and this Sabres team does not, currently. 

On the Sabres ice atleast.  

Would you draft Geekie (6'4") over Savoie (5'9")?

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Spend 6 paragraphs talking about how important size is... proceeds to list none of the sizes of the prospects they go on to rank. 

Would you draft Geekie (6'4") over Savoie (5'9")?

Right I was gonna say that. Should have included the sizes, fail. 

No. The first 3-5 I'd defer to the talent but after that I'd take Slafkofsky or Geekie for sure. 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-draft-rankings-december-baracchini/

There is no consensus at all with this draft outside Wright at this point. WJCs will be interesting to see how some of these guys fare.

I think this ranking is better. From what I've read, Yurov is the Russian winger that drives his line and looks far more engaged and dangerous compared moroshnichenko.

6 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Give me one of Nemec, Wright, Savoie, or Yurov with our first pick. If it’s Nemec, grab 2 forwards with the other firsts, if not, grab at least 1 Rd with one of the other firsts 

From what I have read, Nemec has a better floor but a lower ceiling than Jiricek. I wish Nemec was a little bigger because jiricek at 6'3" is really intriguing but Nemec is 6'1" and both guys are listed at around 190lbs so they've eaten their Wheaties. Nemec is about 3 months younger and both play in men's leagues already. 

Nemec 6'1" 192lbs, 11pts 21gp (0 goals)

Jiricek 6'3" 190lbs, 11 pts 21gp (5 goals)

Depending on where we draft, snagging one of these 2 with a first would be cool. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

From what I have read, Nemec has a better floor but a lower ceiling than Jiricek. I wish Nemec was a little bigger because jiricek at 6'3" is really intriguing but Nemec is 6'1" and both guys are listed at around 190lbs so they've eaten their Wheaties. Nemec is about 3 months younger and both play in men's leagues already. 

Nemec 6'1" 192lbs, 11pts 21gp (0 goals)

Jiricek 6'3" 190lbs, 11 pts 21gp (5 goals)

Depending on where we draft, snagging one of these 2 with a first would be cool. 

If the Sabres traded their lowest first round pick with other picks to move up to the middle of the first round which prospect would you find enticing to pursue? KA's trade up for Peterka appears to have worked well. Maybe he can duplicate the maneuver?

19 hours ago, Norcal said:

Not for 2022 draft and not quite Around the NHL worthy either but one of next years top prospects is signed in Russia through 2026

Is he really going to be in the K for that whole time? Is he even draftable then?

16 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/2022-nhl-draft-rankings-december-baracchini/

There is no consensus at all with this draft outside Wright at this point. WJCs will be interesting to see how some of these guys fare.

Setting up for that tournament to be as overrated as ever, honestly

12 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Give me one of Nemec, Wright, Savoie, or Yurov with our first pick. If it’s Nemec, grab 2 centres with the other firsts, if not, grab at least 1 Rd with one of the other firsts 

FTFY. If the Sabres come away from a draft loaded with centres, where they have 3 first round picks, and don't take a single one after not taking a centre of note in either of the last two drafts either, they are doing it wrong. 

Teams don't go that long, with that many picks, without taking a C. It's exactly the thing that would be first pointed to in a few years if our C depth isn't strong enough:

"hey, maybe we *shouldn't* have gone 3 straight years without drafting a C in the first two rounds". 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Is he really going to be in the K for that whole time? Is he even draftable then?

It sucks for the team drafting him that he may be in Russia for another 4-5 years.

He may be better than Bedard so you have to draft him if you pick near the top.

Money talks, the oligarchs could be paid to release him from his deal if he wanted out.

45 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He is amazing talented, so someone will draft him.  It’s just a question of whether he will get drafted where his talent warrants (top-3) or will he drop down to 10ish.

His KHL contract encompasses 3 seasons after his draft.  He would come over to the NHL for his age 21-22 season.  I want to say that it’s doubtful he finishes that contract in the KHL, he would be losing out on serious money at some point, but it’s kind of a weird situation so who knows.

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

It sucks for the team drafting him that he may be in Russia for another 4-5 years.

He may be better than Bedard so you have to draft him if you pick near the top.

Money talks, the oligarchs could be paid to release him from his deal if he wanted out.

Contract runs for 3 seasons after his 2023 draft.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

If the Sabres traded their lowest first round pick with other picks to move up to the middle of the first round which prospect would you find enticing to pursue? KA's trade up for Peterka appears to have worked well. Maybe he can duplicate the maneuver?

I'm not a fan of trading up. Especially not in the first round because it almost guarantees losing your 2nd rounder. In round 2-5, sure why not. 

However, if Buffalo is sitting in a position at 16-20 to draft a player, super early on right now but, Filip Mesar would be a player to think about in that range especially if you get Nemec or Slafkovsky. Mesar's consolidated ranking is 19.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.