2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

Here is one to watch for people who want a physical power forward type with an awesome hockey name.

Cutter Gauthier is a 6’1” 185lb forward who has spent a majority of his time at wing, but has played and done well at center.  Physical and, a good, fast skater with skill.

Steve Kournianos has him ranked 6th, which got my attention because I’ve mostly seen him mocked in the 15-30 range and didn’t know too much about him.  Could be a Sabres target with one of their other 1sts.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2022-nhl-draft/2022-draft-profile-lw-cutter-gauthier/

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Here is one to watch for people who want a physical power forward type with an awesome hockey name.

Cutter Gauthier is a 6’1” 185lb forward who has spent a majority of his time at wing, but has played and done well at center.  Physical and, a good, fast skater with skill.

Steve Kournianos has him ranked 6th, which got my attention because I’ve mostly seen him mocked in the 15-30 range and didn’t know too much about him.  Could be a Sabres target with one of their other 1sts.

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2022-nhl-draft/2022-draft-profile-lw-cutter-gauthier/

EP has his consolidated at 25th currently

17 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Realistically if we pick 4-7 what kind of player are we getting here? So they start in the NHL next season?

Probably not, it would really depend on the player we get. 

Nemec is the only player outside of Wright that I would say has a immediate NHL shot because he plays in a Men's league already and has for a couple years. A big issue with the 18yr olds is that they aren't physically strong enough for the NHL. 

Here are the current consolidated rankings up to #12. Kemell maybe you could bring over but would benefit from another year. Savoie needs to go back even if he destroys the WHL, he simply isn't strong enough yet. Yurov is an interesting option as he is in the KHL so maybe he could come immediately but he isn't really tearing up the KHL and his deal goes through 2023. Slafskovsky is physically big enough at 6'4" 225lbs but I would leave him in Liiga another year to develop. Cooley, no he needs a year of college to build strength. Lambert, he needs a year to mentally put it all together. Miroshnichenkov is not ready and he is signed through 2024. Geekie has major skating issues to fix to even make the NHL. Jiricek could conceivable make the jump to NA... he would be interesting but I think he stays one more year. Nazar is going to college.  

Consolidated_12_18_21.thumb.png.5d2aa31e64f63ccbd41593862cb55815.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’m not an expert in evaluating amateur hockey players, but outside of Wright and maybe Savoie, is anyone seeing 1C potential in any of this year’s prospects? Instead of reaching for a C, maybe we should just go BPA that’s not a LHD. 

Logan Cooley and one of Mesar, Nazar, Lambert, or Kasper have 1st line potential. 

There are multiple rhd

There are several high end wingers as well. 

The name of today...

Elias Salomonsson, 6'1" RHD

Salomonsson is probably going in the 16-24 range (lots of variability) but he has the Olen Zellweger effect. Zellweger was 5 days shy of being in the 2022 draft and Salomonsson is 15 days off from 2023. He's currently just under a ppg in the j20 (SHL juniors) and he has 8g 9a in 23 games.

In reality he compares better to the Sept-Dec bdays of 2023. You get a highly talented defenseman who is almost a year younger than other prospects given you potentially longer runways. 

Good scoring metrics, extremely young. That's the kind of player I look for... and he's a rhd

"He is a lock as powerplay quarterback on one of Skellefteå’s units, with over a third of his total points coming from the man advantage. Though like many two-way defencemen at this age, there are some flaws within his defensive game, especially his positioning." https://dobberprospects.com/2021/12/18/dp-scouting-teams-midseason-2022-nhl-draft-rankings/

Edited by LGR4GM

13 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Huh. Was reading some of those rankings and under Savoie (who they ranked 3) they said “He should be seen as a consensus top-10 pick at this point and he holds the second spot in our midseason rankings.”  Wonder if they meant third there, or if they wanted Kemmel rated 3 🤷‍♂️

Read that too.  Typo I’d guess 

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Really looking forward to watching him at the WJC.  I’m heavily on the Savoie at #2 bandwagon but I admit its a little skeeed since I’ve seen about 15 of his games and zero of Kemell. 

Savoie creates more chaos than Kemell. He's my #2 currently. 

16 hours ago, kas23 said:

I’m not an expert in evaluating amateur hockey players, but outside of Wright and maybe Savoie, is anyone seeing 1C potential in any of this year’s prospects? Instead of reaching for a C, maybe we should just go BPA that’s not a LHD. 

I don't think we need to worry about 1C any more than any other position. We need a defensive C to replace Eakin, but we likely find that in a veteran FA or trade, not really a top pick type guy you look for. Cozens, Mitts, Thompson, Krebs, that's 4 guys for 3 spots as is. 

If we draft 1 it's Wright, 2 it's Savoie, after that idk yet. Just go BPA, preferably add some size and grit, draft another goalie somewhere lower and carry on. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think we need to worry about 1C any more than any other position. We need a defensive C to replace Eakin, but we likely find that in a veteran FA or trade, not really a top pick type guy you look for. Cozens, Mitts, Thompson, Krebs, that's 4 guys for 3 spots as is. 

If we draft 1 it's Wright, 2 it's Savoie, after that idk yet. Just go BPA, preferably add some size and grit, draft another goalie somewhere lower and carry on. 

Not sure I'd draft a goalie b4 the 3rd round in this draft. 

Geekie is going to end up as a litmus test for this board b4 the end. 

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not sure I'd draft a goalie b4 the 3rd round in this draft. 

Geekie is going to end up as a litmus test for this board b4 the end. 

Ya, I'm not saying goalie early. I'm saying every year (or most years at least) you draft a long shot goalie somewhere later because goalies are the biggest key to success and they develop late and in strange ways and you get those 7th round surprises (and if you have too many of them you can always flip one for a veteran right winger :)) 

Geekie. Ya, idk. I'm going to wait to see where we are drafting before narrowing in on the potential first rounder. 

On 12/18/2021 at 4:56 PM, Curt said:

@Buffalonill

What is your current opinion of Lambert?  Do you still see him as a tier 1 player, equal of Wright and Savoie, and an absolute lock to be drafted top 3?

He's likely going to drop 4 or 5 imo but his attitude has been a huge problem this year and his father isn't helping

He obviously will mature but im done with players that are  Divas

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.