2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I looked at Scouching. (Think he is future considerations now)

He had Quinn at 22 and JJ at 23 

hence why he was still a little sceptical of Quinn on his live chat thing last week 

Quinn's problem lies in his D-1 year. The numbers aren't there and the math says players like Quinn project out lower than others like Rossi. The Sabres think Quinn exploded because his ceiling is really high, it's a gamble because it would make Quinn an exception. Time will tell. 

The interesting thing is since that pick the Sabres have added 3 analytics ppl to the staff. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Quinn's problem lies in his D-1 year. The numbers aren't there and the math says players like Quinn project out lower than others like Rossi. The Sabres think Quinn exploded because his ceiling is really high, it's a gamble because it would make Quinn an exception. Time will tell. 

The interesting thing is since that pick the Sabres have added 3 analytics ppl to the staff. 

Quinn is a unique case. He played AA hockey coming up. The top players in Ontario play AAA, AA is the secondary team, a step down for the age group. He finally played a year of AAA the year before he went to the OHL.  I think Quinn is a natural but it took time to finally explode as his strength and confidence came together. He has tremendous brains, instincts and co-ordination.

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

A dman’s ability to play d. Everyone is a puck moving dman. If you ask every team in the league what they need they would all say a dman that is a rock in the defensive zone. It is never valued in dmen drafted early.

It would be if there was a reasonable way to evaluate it and be confident in the way it transitions to NHL ice.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I looked at Scouching. (Think he is future considerations now)

He had Quinn at 22 and JJ at 23 

hence why he was still a little sceptical of Quinn on his live chat thing last week 

A look at how Quinn is stacking up this season against his draft peers. Still many chapters to be written

NHL

4) Raymond 6/8/14

12) Lundell 3/3/6

6) Drysdale 1/5/6

3) Stutzle 0/5/5

1) Lafreniere 3/1/4

13) Jarvis 1/1/2

2) Byfield 0/0/0 (inj)

7) Holtz 0/1/1

AHL

8 Quinn 7/6/13

9 Rossi 2/7/9

10 Perfetti 3/3/6

14) Holloway 0/0/0 (inj)

NCAA

5) Sanderson 3/6/9

KHL

15) Amirov 01/1

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Everything about this sentence confuses me. The size thing is an obvious one but how are you okay with Cooley but concerned about Savoie? 

Logan Cooley is 5'10" 174lbs

Matthew Savoie is 5'10" 179lbs

If you are worried about Savoie's size you are effectively eliminating the following players 5'10" or less... 

Issac Howard, Frank Nazar, Seamus Casey, Noah Ostlund, David Goyette, Ty Nelson, Filip Mesar who all are potential first round options that are Savoie's size. 

Alex Newhook is this size as well if we want a recent draft comparable. 

McKenzie said Savoie is 5’9. I was going based on that. As for Cooley I like his style but only if we didn’t pick too high up and he’s slightly taller. Not the most ideal. I’ve listed several others I liked more. I don’t know too many legit top 6 C who are 5’9. 

6 hours ago, CM37 said:

McKenzie said Savoie is 5’9. I was going based on that. As for Cooley I like his style but only if we didn’t pick too high up and he’s slightly taller. Not the most ideal. I’ve listed several others I liked more. I don’t know too many legit top 6 C who are 5’9. 

Savoie said he measured at 5'10" when he got to camp in September. https://nhlentrydraft.com/news/the-pipeline-a-conversation-with-matthew-savoie/ 

"GF: The WHL website lists you at 5-foot-9, 170 pounds. How up-to-date is that?

MS: At camp this year I measured in at 5-10, 176, I believe."

If your main factor is height you should like Geekie over a lot of other centers. 

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

A look at how Quinn is stacking up this season against his draft peers. Still many chapters to be written

NHL

4) Raymond 6/8/14

12) Lundell 3/3/6

6) Drysdale 1/5/6

3) Stutzle 0/5/5

1) Lafreniere 3/1/4

13) Jarvis 1/1/2

2) Byfield 0/0/0 (inj)

7) Holtz 0/1/1

AHL

8 Quinn 7/6/13

9 Rossi 2/7/9

10 Perfetti 3/3/6

14) Holloway 0/0/0 (inj)

NCAA

5) Sanderson 3/6/9

KHL

15) Amirov 01/1

Without games played, hard to really judge the numbers

Edited by LGR4GM

4 hours ago, 7Fun6 said:

Hockey prospect had Quinn at 6 fwiw. (And Peterka at 24)

https://hockeyprospect.com/2020-nhl-draft-rankings/

So Quinn was ranked 6th to 21st at the time of the draft. That's a big gap and reflects the concerns about his D-1 points. 

It's interesting because you can really see the skills the Sabres did now that he's healthy in the AHL. He's such a curious case and outlier in terms of development curve. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/10/2021 at 10:08 PM, Flashsabre said:

Quinn is a unique case. He played AA hockey coming up. The top players in Ontario play AAA, AA is the secondary team, a step down for the age group. He finally played a year of AAA the year before he went to the OHL.  I think Quinn is a natural but it took time to finally explode as his strength and confidence came together. He has tremendous brains, instincts and co-ordination.

I didn't know this, but this is huge. It's almost unheard of to go from AA to AAA that late and be effective, let alone OHL draft material. He must either be a late bloomer growth wise or he was late to start hockey but caught up on talent. I say this as a parent of a U15 AAA player who's hoping to go in the 2023 OHL priority selection. The top kids have basically all been the top kids pretty much since the start.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I didn't know this, but this is huge. It's almost unheard of to go from AA to AAA that late and be effective, let alone OHL draft material. He must either be a late bloomer growth wise or he was late to start hockey but caught up on talent. I say this as a parent of a U15 AAA player who's hoping to go in the 2023 OHL priority selection. The top kids have basically all been the top kids pretty much since the start.

He said he never worked out until he was 15 or 16 which might have had something to do with being a late bloomer.

• Like (+1) 2

If anyone’s paying attention, the season is only 13 games old and we’ve already fallen 11 points behind the Coyotes in the Fight for Wright.Glad that’s out of the way.

The Coyotes have been outscored to 57 to 22. That tank driver ain’t messing around.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2015 was a year to tank.  McDavid is generational and Eichel was a great consolation prize regardless of how it worked out here.

This year is not a year to tank. Wright will be a very good player but not someone to turn a franchise around.  Sabres have a great young group of developing guys and adding 3 more in the 1st will be huge but they don’t have to try and tank and win a lottery now. The last few drafts are beginning to show that theSabres now have some people in place that can identify talent throughout the rounds. Stay the course, hit on a few more picks and keep developing.

• Like (+1) 3

On 11/11/2021 at 10:24 PM, LGR4GM said:

So Quinn was ranked 6th to 21st at the time of the draft. That's a big gap and reflects the concerns about his D-1 points. 

It's interesting because you can really see the skills the Sabres did now that he's healthy in the AHL. He's such a curious case and outlier in terms of development curve. 

FYI: He was 10th on my consensus list which averaged the rankings from 15 writers and services.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

If anyone’s paying attention, the season is only 13 games old and we’ve already fallen 11 points behind the Coyotes in the Fight for Wright.Glad that’s out of the way.

The Coyotes have been outscored to 57 to 22. That tank driver ain’t messing around.

Curious thing: the Coyotes stole a point from us with Vejmelka's stellar NHL debut, but if we'd have gotten Hutton we'd have probably put up 5+ on our 30+ shots.

Another point in looking at Coyotes numbers -- Chychrun is a good young player that they're treating like we did to Ristolainen. He's playing almost 25 minutes a night and likely in all the hardest matchups. He's already a -21. At this pace (doubtful because Wedgewood has settled down their goaltending) he'd be a beyond -100.

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

If we were tanking, we would’ve re-signed Hutton for 1/0.75. A true tank has a blind man in net. 

Hutton only made it 3 games with his .741 save percentage.

I know it is way too early so I won’t list specific names but my ideal 1st round would be a high end centre, scoring winger and a talented RHD.

With Tage emerging and the acquisition of Krebs to go with Mitts an Cozens, centre is no longer a black hole but another high end centre would be great.

You can always use scoring wingers and a high end RHD would help to level out the young back end.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I know it is way too early so I won’t list specific names but my ideal 1st round would be a high end centre, scoring winger and a talented RHD.

With Tage emerging and the acquisition of Krebs to go with Mitts an Cozens, centre is no longer a black hole but another high end centre would be great.

You can always use scoring wingers and a high end RHD would help to level out the young back end.

This mock has 7 RHD going in picks 11-25.  With 3 picks in R1, you should get your wish.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Edited by PickaPecaPickles

1 hour ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

This mock has 7 RHD going in picks 11-25.  With 3 picks in R1, you should get your wish.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

I was looking at that mock draft today. 32 prospects, 14 C and 7 RHD.

Even if they don’t go by positions of need they’ll probably fill some depth holes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.