Jack Eichel Presser on Monday 5-10-21

Brawndo

This might get some rocks thrown at me for this but ... is anyone else kind of excited about this? There’s a few factors at play here, most of which are short-term thinking.

1. It’s good to have some clarity here. Eichel clearly doesn’t want to be here. No more rumors. Dude ***** hates it here.

2. It’s something to talk about for a while here and elsewhere and something to at least make us pay attention to this team for.

3. Superstar trades in sports are fun. Just to see how someone is valued in their profession and the many pieces that end up going the other way. Plus all the rumors and proposals leading up to it.

None of this makes this team better (unless you absolutely knock it out of the park with the trade) ... but it’s something, I guess.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Kong said:

I don't take Eichel's word for gospel either. He's such a spoiled, arrogant kid, I think he actually believes that how he frames the situation is the whole truth. It's an opinion and hockey's such a rough sport, a botched operation might endanger him for life. The Pegulas, as stupid as they are, are only trying to protect their assets.

Do you actually think anyone is going to believe you are framing your opinions without bias, when you start out the sentence like that?

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Or they could take him to court and request damages, the result being he's still under contract, but for a LOT less.  I'm no lawyer, but it's a plausible scenario.

They could, and probably would for a lesser player, but neither the NHL nor the NHLPA would ever allow this. Hell would freeze over before they allowed a team to drag one of their star players into court. In all likelihood, a settlement, then free agency. 

But, that’s neither here nor there. Eichel signed his contract knowing this. The NHLPA also signed off on this. Team doctors are not in support for surgery. End of story. He has nothing to complain about. Probably Googled that surgery helps some people and is running with it. 

Just now, Thorny said:

Do you actually think anyone is going to believe you are framing your opinions without bias, when you start out the sentence like that?

I want Jack back but rumors are there is more to his psychy and not in a good way ...   Callaway hinted it at and turns out we both heard the same rumor... again its a rumor but may tie into the injury and appearance of being a spoiled brat but be something else... that is all I will say but sheesh sounds like a ***** show all the way around and at best I hope the Sabres figure it out for both the team and Jack.

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

I want Jack back but rumors are there is more to his psychy and not in a good way ...   Callaway hinted it at and turns out we both heard the same rumor... again its a rumor but may tie into the injury and appearance of being a spoiled brat but be something else... that is all I will say but sheesh sounds like a ***** show all the way around and at best I hope the Sabres figure it out for both the team and Jack.

Unsubstantiated rumours.

- - - 

They look bad for letting the situation get to this point, regardless. He's 24 years old. This organization is supposed to be run by professionals. They can't let it devolve to the point of gong show, and they assuredly did - to the point where the asset value suffers. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Some people do, some people don't. 

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This might get some rocks thrown at me for this but ... is anyone else kind of excited about this? There’s a few factors at play here, most of which are short-term thinking.

1. It’s good to have some clarity here. Eichel clearly doesn’t want to be here. No more rumors. Dude ***** hates it here.

2. It’s something to talk about for a while here and elsewhere and something to at least make us pay attention to this team for.

3. Superstar trades in sports are fun. Just to see how someone is valued in their profession and the many pieces that end up going the other way. Plus all the rumors and proposals leading up to it.

None of this makes this team better (unless you absolutely knock it out of the park with the trade) ... but it’s something, I guess.

Nothing can be any worse than what we've had since he's been here, so ***** it why not. 

All aboard the Dahlin Is Our Savior train 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I'd be more excited about it if I trusted the folks in the charge.     We have a rookie GM who's been on the job for what... 6-7 months?   A barebones scouting department.    This is a major crossroads for the organization and yet there is still no real leadership at any level.     It's basically come down to KA and TP spitballing on his yacht in Boca Raton.   What could possibly go wrong?

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Before today, when the Eichel sun was still shining, I was still playing around with moving him for the right deal. The Reinhart presser sucked more to me personally, because he's the guy I wanted to fill that center hole.

My reaction to Eichel leaving will be entirely tied to what we get in return. If it's an elite-prospect to fit into the new Dahlin,Cozens era (Byfield, Lafreniere, Zegras) then I'll miss Jack, but I'll recover. If it's some shoty package of assets like what Colorado got from us for ROR (decent assets, no big prize), I'll be upset. If it's our ROR trae to STL, then I'll cease giving anything Sabres 1 cent or 1 second of my time until Terry and Kim are gone.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'd be more excited about it if I trusted the folks in the charge.     We have a rookie GM who's been on the job for what... 6-7 months?   A barebones scouting department.    This is a major crossroads for the organization and yet there is still no real leadership at any level.     It's basically come down to KA and TP spitballing on his yacht in Boca Raton.   What could possibly go wrong?

This is really the issue 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

They have no choice but to move Eichel. What are you suggesting, fire KA and keep Jack? Things are way past that now, it is what it is. 

I'd fire Adams regardless.  There's no reason for this to escalate like it did.  The GM needs to keep his own house, and there is no evidence that Eichel is the problem child everyone is making him out to be.

And there is nothing in Adams experience to suggest that he is even remotely competent enough to handle a rebuild.

Finally, if I had to choose a star player who finished 8th in MVP voting last season over a nothing GM, I'd pick the player every time.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Unsubstantiated rumours.

- - - 

They look bad for letting the situation get to this point, regardless. He's 24 years old. This organization is supposed to be run by professionals. They can't let it devolve to the point of gong show, and they assuredly did - to the point where the asset value suffers. 

What are they supposed to do?   Give their blessing to their franchise player to get unnecessary spinal surgery?   That would be reckless.    

In fact, I applaud the Sabres medical staff and KA for sticking to their guns here.    The last thing you want is for a complication to occur during the procedure which could end his career.    I get it, Jack is frustrated and wants a quick fix, but IMO he needs to be patient and disciplined with the rehab so his body can heal.       

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

What are they supposed to do?   Give their blessing to their franchise player to get unnecessary spinal surgery?   That would be reckless.    

In fact, I applaud the Sabres medical staff and KA for sticking to their guns here.    The last thing you want is for a complication to occur during the procedure which could end his career.    I get it, Jack is frustrated and wants a quick fix, but IMO he needs to be patient and disciplined with the rehab so his body can heal.       

Oh, it's unnecessary? Source? 

The entirety of the situation should have never gotten to this point. These kind of disagreements are routinely smoothed over. The relationship is completely fractured, there's no trust, and the wasteland the Sabres have operated in since Jack got here allowed it to get to this point. Do you see this happening with franchise players across the league?

Saying "IMO he need to" regarding his injury is completely ridiculous to post on a message board. It's Jack's body, it's his choice 

6 minutes ago, jad1 said:

I'd fire Adams regardless.  There's no reason for this to escalate like it did.  The GM needs to keep his own house, and there is no evidence that Eichel is the problem child everyone is making him out to be.

And there is nothing in Adams experience to suggest that he is even remotely competent enough to handle a rebuild.

Finally, if I had to choose a star player who finished 8th in MVP voting last season over a nothing GM, I'd pick the player every time.

So we’re just going to have a new GM every season, is that it? You are making very hardline decisions on very limited information. I for one don’t make up my mind until I can see the whole picture. All I have is one eye witness testimony who has a motive to lie. 

27 minutes ago, kas23 said:

They could, and probably would for a lesser player, but neither the NHL nor the NHLPA would ever allow this. Hell would freeze over before they allowed a team to drag one of their star players into court. In all likelihood, a settlement, then free agency. 

But, that’s neither here nor there. Eichel signed his contract knowing this. The NHLPA also signed off on this. Team doctors are not in support for surgery. End of story. He has nothing to complain about. Probably Googled that surgery helps some people and is running with it. 

Good post until the bolded. It's fairly naive in my opinion to think that he hasn't spent the last few months getting a variety of medical of opinions, some of which probably recommended surgery. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Nothing can be any worse than what we've had since he's been here, so ***** it why not. 

All aboard the Dahlin Is Our Savior train 

I think Cozens may be co-conductor on that train for me

Regardless of who you side with in the Sabres vs. Eichel saga, this sucks man. Jack was supposed to the light at the end of the s**t tunnel we slogged through for years. How we mismanaged the team since he got here (O'Reilly, poor coaching hires, etc.) is such a damn waste of a player who should have been here for life. Get a President of Hockey Ops for f*** sakes Terry and get the hell out of the way! The disparity between the Sabres and Bills is messed up. I would like this to get turned around in a Colorado Avalanche esque fashion, but I'm realize that's not entirely possible. I need progress and a coherent vision. It that's too much to ask for, I will back off.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, I-90 W said:

So we’re just going to have a new GM every season, is that it? You are making very hardline decisions on very limited information. I for one don’t make up my mind until I can see the whole picture. All I have is one eye witness testimony who has a motive to lie. 

I'd fire the GM every season until they find one who can successfully manage all on and off ice activities.

This organization is historically awful.  They're not awful because Eichel finished 8th in MVP voting instead of 5th. 

They're awful because of terrible trades, FA signings, and staff management.

And this season they finished dead last and drove off their best player.  That's on Adams.

Damn right I'd fire him. And if his replacement was as big a screw-up, I'd fire him too.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

I'd fire the GM every season until they find one who can successfully manage all on and off ice activities.

This organization is historically awful.  They're not awful because Eichel finished 8th in MVP voting instead of 5th. 

They're awful because of terrible trades, FA signings, and staff management.

And this season they finished dead last and drove off their best player.  That's on Adams.

Damn right I'd fire him. And if his replacement was as big a screw-up, I'd fire him too.

But what if Jack doesn’t need the surgery, you’re just gonna fire a grown man with a family because a 24 yo wanted to sit during a bad season? I’m not saying this is the case, but neither of us KNOW what is going on. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.