Who is your least favorite non-Pegula since the Pegulas took over?

Randall Flagg

Least favorite member of Sabres org. post-Golisano  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Least favorite member of Sabres org. post-Golisano

• Battista (lol what was this about again?)
    • Darcy Regier
    • Ted Black
    • Lindy
    • Leino
    • Eichel
    • Disco Dan Bylsma
    • GMTM
    • Phil Housley
    • Jason Botterill
    • Kevyn Adams
    • Pat Lafontaine
    • Ron Rolston
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Ralph Krueger
    • Other (please discuss)

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He wasn't a hockey president.

"As president of the Buffalo Sabres, Theodore “Ted” N. Black oversaw all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the franchise, with specific focus on making the Buffalo Sabres the premier destination for NHL players and the Sabres’ current and future employees. "

https://www.phideltatheta.org/famous-phis/ted-black/

"The first draft of the schedule has not yet come out, but I am looking to minimize the number of back to backs. "

"As we sit here today, I would say that the team is built around a world class goalie and a core of very talented players that can and will form the nucleus of a Cup champion. Going into the off season, it seems like the Sabres, along with most other teams, are looking for more help at center, strong 2-way players and depth in defense.  We are not rebuilding."

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/q-a-with-president-ted-black/c-563731

Are you mixing him up with Brandon maybe?  It was Brandon who said he would be "hands-off."

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Easy for me....JBOT - he created the RK monster and executed the worst trade in franchise history.

It's very tough for me to pick Black over Botterill, but Black's jerkiness is the deciding factor.

Edited by Eleven

I don't dislike any of them.  I don't know any of them atoll.  The public persona of Ted Black is pretty terrible, so maybe him.

None of the people (management and players, but mostly management) involved in the organization since DR and LR left the team have been very good at their jobs.  The results proove this.  And who is ultimately responsible for that ...

I too do not dislike any of the choices, as I wouldn’t dislike anyone just for incompetence, and there is nothing to indicate anything worse than that.  However, since the question asks for “least favorite,” I’ll go with TM and JB, as they IMHO inflicted the most damage on the franchise.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

Ted Theodore Logan Black.  He was a jerk.  And he came up with the turdburger.  And he is the ultimate proof that having an executive between the GM and the owner doesn't mean anything.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

It's very tough for me to pick Black over Botterill, but Black's jerkiness is the deciding factor.

I never got the impression that Ted was a jerk.  Why was this?  I know bad decisions were made under him that he ultimately took responsibility for, but his concerns for the fan experience and my interactions with him personally never summed to any more jerkishness than say, Botterill or Murray, and certainly not Larry Quinn.

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I never got the impression that Ted was a jerk.  Why was this?  I know bad decisions were made under him that he ultimately took responsibility for, but his concerns for the fan experience and my interactions with him personally never summed to any more jerkishness than say, Botterill or Murray, and certainly not Larry Quinn.

We belonged to the same club for a while.  (So did Whaley, and Quinn, and a few others.)  Black was a jerk.

Edited by Eleven

22 minutes ago, SDS said:

He-man Woman Haters Club?

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, Scott.  That's me, all right.

To be clear - this is just a reference to the classic Our Gang episode where Spanky, Alfalfa, and Buckwheat form the He Man’s Woman Haters Club. 

My apologies for dating myself. No harm was intended and it was simply a pop culture reference. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

We belonged to the same club for a while.  (So did Whaley, and Quinn, and a few others.)  Black was a jerk.

Disheartening.  Too bad.

48 minutes ago, SDS said:

To be clear - this is just a reference to the classic Our Gang episode where Spanky, Alfalfa, and Buckwheat form the He Man’s Woman Haters Club. 

Holy ***** dude, I got old just from reading the explanation.

Aging Matt Damon GIF

19 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Disheartening.  Too bad.

Holy ***** dude, I got old just from reading the explanation.

Aging Matt Damon GIF

Grew up with four television stations and no cable. You watched what children’s entertainment was on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, SDS said:

Grew up with four television stations and no cable. You watched what children’s entertainment was on.

We had an antenna on the roof and if the wind was blowing just right, we'd get stations out of Toronto and St. Catherines (?). I still remember watching Hockey Night in Canada with Brian McFarlane and Howie Meeker back in the early/mid 70s. I still love that theme song to this day!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

We had an antenna on the roof and if the wind was blowing just right, we'd get stations out of Toronto and St. Catherines (?). I still remember watching Hockey Night in Canada with Brian McFarlane and Howie Meeker back in the early/mid 70s. I still love that theme song to this day!

HNIC was generally a snowish-fest for us. Couldn't really count that station as being "received" for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Yep. Following the puck took a lot of concentration and a bit of imagination.

That was how I learnt how to use a music stand and a hangar as a make-shift antenna.  Served me well in college in Cleveland when I wanted to watch HNIC out of Windsor.

• Like (+1) 1

In order

1) Ralph Krueger

2) Tim Murray

3) Pat LaFontaine

4) Kevyn Adams

LaFontaine is responsible for hiring Tim Murray who authored the fast and failed rebuild.  Had TM done a proper rebuild, utilized the Tank fruit properly and actually been the prospect talent evaluator he was alleged to be we wouldn't be in this situation. Ralph Krueger because he has no idea how to coach and develop players.  I have never seen a coach destroy the confidence of so many good hockey players is such a short space of time.  KA for not growing a pair and getting rid of Rasputin.  

My favorite Pegula is Kelly.  Got to love someone who created a BS hat.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I got to meet Ted, and he was super nice. Witty personality. 

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

"As president of the Buffalo Sabres, Theodore “Ted” N. Black oversaw all aspects of the day-to-day operations of the franchise, with specific focus on making the Buffalo Sabres the premier destination for NHL players and the Sabres’ current and future employees. "

https://www.phideltatheta.org/famous-phis/ted-black/

"The first draft of the schedule has not yet come out, but I am looking to minimize the number of back to backs. "

"As we sit here today, I would say that the team is built around a world class goalie and a core of very talented players that can and will form the nucleus of a Cup champion. Going into the off season, it seems like the Sabres, along with most other teams, are looking for more help at center, strong 2-way players and depth in defense.  We are not rebuilding."

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/q-a-with-president-ted-black/c-563731

Are you mixing him up with Brandon maybe?  It was Brandon who said he would be "hands-off."

Terry has been the POHO since Day One. Hell, Terry has always been the POHO of the Buffalo Sabres. (redrum)

I don't think any of the above is evidence that Black was making hockey decisions. Day to day operations is business stuff, as is making the franchise Hockey Heaven. The schedule issue is Ted taking a cue from Darcy (I'm almost certain is was still Darcy). Here, the GM is making the hockey call and Ted is assisting. The last quote is Ted as voice and face of the franchise. He was basically playing the role of press secretary — he had a regular slot on WGR IIRC. Jen Psaki is not POTUS.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Terry has been the POHO since Day One. Hell, Terry has always been the POHO of the Buffalo Sabres. (redrum)

I don't think any of the above is evidence that Black was making hockey decisions. Day to day operations is business stuff, as is making the franchise Hockey Heaven. The schedule issue is Ted taking a cue from Darcy (I'm almost certain is was still Darcy). Here, the GM is making the hockey call and Ted is assisting. The last quote is Ted as voice and face of the franchise. He was basically playing the role of press secretary — he had a regular slot on WGR IIRC. Jen Psaki is not POTUS.

I mean, yeah, Terry has always been the head cheese. He’s the owner. Everyone under him is a puppet, and when they aren’t, they leave (Patty) or get canned. 

Its not like Kevyn was hired on his credentials. He was given the job because he’s been a yes man. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I got to meet Ted, and he was super nice. Witty personality. 

This is the experience I had, as we texted back and forth for bit about fan experience and the broadcast, which was why Eleven's experience was both curious and puzzling.  People are different in their personal and professional lives, I suppose.

5 hours ago, SDS said:

As one of the few American children that grew up watching the Elephant Show, Fred Penner's Place, and Rue Sesame, I empathize.

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In order

1) Ralph Krueger

2) Tim Murray

3) Pat LaFontaine

4) Kevyn Adams

LaFontaine is responsible for hiring Tim Murray who authored the fast and failed rebuild.  Had TM done a proper rebuild, utilized the Tank fruit properly and actually been the prospect talent evaluator he was alleged to be we wouldn't be in this situation. Ralph Krueger because he has no idea how to coach and develop players.  I have never seen a coach destroy the confidence of so many good hockey players is such a short space of time.  KA for not growing a pair and getting rid of Rasputin.  

My favorite Pegula is Kelly.  Got to love someone who created a BS hat.

You have Krueger on here and Adams for keeping him, but Botterill escapes blame for hiring the man😄

The consistency however is legitimately admirable 

5 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

This is the experience I had, as we texted back and forth for bit about fan experience and the broadcast, which was why Eleven's experience was both curious and puzzling.  People are different in their personal and professional lives, I suppose.

As one of the few American children that grew up watching the Elephant Show, Fred Penner's Place, and Rue Sesame, I empathize.

So good

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

You have Krueger on here and Adams for keeping him, but Botterill escapes blame for hiring the man😄

The consistency however is legitimately admirable 

Different set of facts.  They didn’t know how badly he sucked when hired.  Remember he came with glowing recommendations.  Master motivator etc. Hindsight is 20/20. I doubt TP and Jbot would have hired him knowing what we know now.  

KA knows he is terrible.  He has the facts, yet does nothing. 

Someone else pointed out recently that I actually hated the hire then and hate it worse now. I wrote then that he was Ted Nolan 2.  I wrote we needed x and o help not motivation. Maybe I should be the GM.  

This is what I wrote on 5/15/19

“I hate to say this but he sounds like Ted Nolan.  Motivator but not an X and O guy.  This teams real structure and real coach'em up coaching.  Motivation is not enough.  Who is going to provide the structure?  Who is going to make sure that Risto isn't overplayed and who is going to teach him how to pass to facilitate the breakout?  Not Krueger.

On second thought, my initial reaction of Meh! was wrong. This is a bad hire.”

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Different set of facts.  They didn’t know how badly he sucked when hired.  Remember he came with glowing recommendations.  Master motivator etc. Hindsight is 20/20. I doubt TP and Jbot would have hired him knowing what we know now.  

KA knows he is terrible.  He has the facts, yet does nothing. 

Someone else pointed out recently that I actually hated the hire then and hate it worse now. I wrote then that he was Ted Nolan 2.  I wrote we needed x and o help not motivation. Maybe I should be the GM.  

This is what I wrote on 5/15/19

“I hate to say this but he sounds like Ted Nolan.  Motivator but not an X and O guy.  This teams real structure and real coach'em up coaching.  Motivation is not enough.  Who is going to provide the structure?  Who is going to make sure that Risto isn't overplayed and who is going to teach him how to pass to facilitate the breakout?  Not Krueger.

On second thought, my initial reaction of Meh! was wrong. This is a bad hire.”

“They didn’t know how badly he sucked when he was hired”. 

Same logic would apply to LaFontaine re: Murray 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.