Who is your least favorite non-Pegula since the Pegulas took over?

Randall Flagg

Least favorite member of Sabres org. post-Golisano  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Least favorite member of Sabres org. post-Golisano

• Battista (lol what was this about again?)
    • Darcy Regier
    • Ted Black
    • Lindy
    • Leino
    • Eichel
    • Disco Dan Bylsma
    • GMTM
    • Phil Housley
    • Jason Botterill
    • Kevyn Adams
    • Pat Lafontaine
    • Ron Rolston
    • Jeff Skinner
    • Ralph Krueger
    • Other (please discuss)

Thread title says it all. What a miserable 10 years it has been. Which name to you brings about the biggest sense of dread, seeds a pit deep in your stomach? It doesn't necessarily have to be the guy you think MOST responsible for the current state of affairs. 

For me, it's Botterill. The best shot we had to climb out of this was when we won ten games in a row, to surge to a 17-6-2 record in 2018-19. The Sabres had never been more confident, never more ready to finally remove the shackles of expecting to lose, being defined by losing. But they were missing one or two players - they were using a 4th line LW, who could take faceoffs, but would gradually decay to below replacement level, as their 2C. They had a 3rd line that was in a bit over its head. We all saw it and talked about it at the time, we needed a move. Phil knew we needed one too. We never got that move. Not after losing 5 straight post-win-streak, nor after gutting out 3 wins in 4 games after that, including playing the Capitals and Bruins phenomenally tough. Not after the slow crumbling that sent us to the bottom 10 in the league, the only team in NHL history to be in first place after Thanksgiving to miss the playoffs, and we missed them by a ***** MILE. Not one move was made to help a team that had earned it. 

Jason did the same thing the following year, and this team is now broken beyond repair. Their psyches are shattered, and they can no longer complete basic NHL tasks with any competency. 

I would have really liked to see where we could go, and where we'd be now, if we had shown that team that we believed in them. But we didn't, and I blame Jason for creating those holes, not addressing them, and then letting them destroy something so good. I've heard a whisper or two that some parties believe Jason really, reeeeeally liked Ralph, and because of this, he wasn't so quick to stem the bleeding as he could have been knowing Ralph would be available. But that is just whispers in the wind - Jason mangled my relationship with this team without them. He completely changed the way I prioritized hockey, and the way I've watched it ever since he came on board. So that's my pick. What is yours?

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

For every fan it should be GMTM and it's not even close, as they say.

He had assets in that 15 draft class that he could have moved up or down the 1st and 2nd rounds at will. Instead, he initiated a fast rebuild policy that is directly responsible for where the team is today.

Say what any of you will about Darcy, but his "suffering" comment was dead on accurate. Him and Ruff knew some things I reckon.

But at the end of the day, come hell or high water, it was General Manager Tim Murray who was given responsibility over the assets available to pull this franchise forward, and he failed, miserably.

• Like (+1) 2

It's weird having players on here, but here we are.

Ville Leino, hands down.

The Sabres' financials were absolutely rejuvenated from the recent Pegula purchase.  Sabres fans were simply erect at the thought that we could spend to the cap and never be hindered financially ever again, something that had plagued the team since ever.  However, the salary cap era had tightened the UFA market to the tightest it had ever been, as a premium had been put on player asset management and a long period of sustained salary cap raises allowed teams to sign most useful players to big dollars and long terms without consequence.

Every team in free agency that year was salivating at the only big-name center available: Brad Richards.  Next on the list of centers after Richards was only a very washed up, broken down Jason Arnott; Richards was THE player to sign and was to be courted by just about every team, effectively guaranteeing Richards the choice of teams that would offer him a monster contract at huge term.

The 2011 playoffs ended for Buffalo at the hands of the Flyers in seven games in the conference quarterfinals, with Ville Leino recording 3G 1A 4P in 7GP.  Leino would finish the playoffs with 3G 2A 5P in 11GP, as the Flyers would be swept by the Bruins following round.

The Sabres needed an ugrade at center.  Connolly had lead Sabres' centers with 42P in 68GP, simply mediocre.  Darcy Regier knew that, even armed with huge dollars, it was flat unlikely that the Sabres could compete with every other team and land Richards.  Regier and the scouting staff instead scoured the UFAs for center experience and figured out the Ville Leino had a very successful career playing center for years in SM-Liiga.  When free agency started, instead of courting Richards, the Buffalo Sabres figured all the other teams would be busy seeking Richards and they instead immediately went after VIlle Leino.

The Sabres signed Ehrhoff and Leino and traded for Robyn Regher in a few short days, with Terry Pegula himself flying to rural Alberta to convince Regher of the Sabres' conviction to winning (FUEL UP THE JET!).  Leino had signed for six years, $27M.  The Sabres touted his ability to play center as the reason they signed him.

Leino would only play a few games at center before being moved to wing by Ruff.  Over the next three seasons, before being permanently benched by Ted Nolan then bought out at huge cost to the Sabres, he recorded 10G 36A46P in 137GP, including an infamous 0G in his last season of 58GP.  He was injury prone.

Leino would continue in the K and the SHL for a couple years.

When he retired, he started fashion design.  Here, he depicts his impression of his last year in Buffalo:

d9c512a9bd1de6b39ccd2f3658ee1f89

"One of my most personal works. I was playing my third year in Buffalo Sabres with long and big contract. Things weren’t working with me and the team. I was getting a lot of pressure and heat and there was no way out of it. I felt trapped and down. All I could do was get up every morning and go to work and try to make it work. This painting reflects those feelings that I was going through on that period of time.”

I don't know if injuries derailed Ville Leino's goalless final year in Buffalo, but I know this: Ville Leino agreed to a large contract to play center for the Buffalo Sabres, and when he got here, it was immediately clear he did not want to play center.  Leino would then outlast both Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff.  He should rethink who was truly put in jail.

I picked JBot for the most damage, but I despise GMTM equally.  

No doubt GMTM screwed the rebuild with gutting too deep and flagrantly tanking, bringing in some bad characters, giving up too much in trades, and acting like a arrogant jerk.  

JBot traded ROR for nothing, overpaid on Skinner by a mile, and hired two bad coaches. The RK hire was inexcusable, I don’t care who mentored that deal.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

It's weird having players on here, but here we are.

Ville Leino, hands down.

The Sabres' financials were absolutely rejuvenated from the recent Pegula purchase.  Sabres fans were simply erect at the thought that we could spend to the cap and never be hindered financially ever again, something that had plagued the team since ever.  However, the salary cap era had tightened the UFA market to the tightest it had ever been, as a premium had been put on player asset management and a long period of sustained salary cap raises allowed teams to sign most useful players to big dollars and long terms without consequence.

Every team in free agency that year was salivating at the only big-name center available: Brad Richards.  Next on the list of centers after Richards was only a very washed up, broken down Jason Arnott; Richards was THE player to sign and was to be courted by just about every team, effectively guaranteeing Richards the choice of teams that would offer him a monster contract at huge term.

The 2011 playoffs ended for Buffalo at the hands of the Flyers in seven games in the conference quarterfinals, with Ville Leino recording 3G 1A 4P in 7GP.  Leino would finish the playoffs with 3G 2A 5P in 11GP, as the Flyers would be swept by the Bruins following round.

The Sabres needed an ugrade at center.  Connolly had lead Sabres' centers with 42P in 68GP, simply mediocre.  Darcy Regier knew that, even armed with huge dollars, it was flat unlikely that the Sabres could compete with every other team and land Richards.  Regier and the scouting staff instead scoured the UFAs for center experience and figured out the Ville Leino had a very successful career playing center for years in SM-Liiga.  When free agency started, instead of courting Richards, the Buffalo Sabres figured all the other teams would be busy seeking Richards and they instead immediately went after VIlle Leino.

The Sabres signed Ehrhoff and Leino and traded for Robyn Regher in a few short days, with Terry Pegula himself flying to rural Alberta to convince Regher of the Sabres' conviction to winning (FUEL UP THE JET!).  Leino had signed for six years, $27M.  The Sabres touted his ability to play center as the reason they signed him.

Leino would only play a few games at center before being moved to wing by Ruff.  Over the next three seasons, before being permanently benched by Ted Nolan then bought out at huge cost to the Sabres, he recorded 10G 36A46P in 137GP, including an infamous 0G in his last season of 58GP.  He was injury prone.

Leino would continue in the K and the SHL for a couple years.

When he retired, he started fashion design.  Here, he depicts his impression of his last year in Buffalo:

d9c512a9bd1de6b39ccd2f3658ee1f89

I don't know if injuries derailed Ville Leino's goalless final year in Buffalo, but I know this: Ville Leino agreed to a large contract to play center for the Buffalo Sabres, and when he got here, it was immediately clear he did not want to play center.  Leino would then outlast both Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff.  He should rethink who was truly put in jail.

Screw Ville Leino, he brought every last bit if trouble on himself when signing here, clearly to fill a C spot.

Though I can totally relate to the “jail” feeling, that’s pretty much how I’ve felt about this team for years.

It’s like a crappy marriage, where you just can’t up and leave.

I don't know that I have a least favorite.  I haven't found any of them to be likeable at all.  Rolston comes the closest I guess, but is it his fault that the GM went out and hired the least qualified person to coach the team?  Should I really hate on Ron for being the lamb fed to the lions?

A very, very few players have my respect for consistently doing their best during these trying times, but that is about the extent of my emotions, really.  The rest can all be labeled as having my equal level of apathy.

There needs to be an F 'em all choice.

Edited by Weave
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The only reason I didn’t vote for Botts is that the moves he gets most criticism for, I believe behind the scenes the Pegula’s had a LOT of say...

- Skinner deal

- ROR deal must be made before roster bonus deadline. 

- RK hiring

Edited by LabattBlue

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The only reason I didn’t vote for Botts is that the moves he gets most criticism for, I believe behind the scenes the Pegula’s had a LOT of say...

- Skinner deal

- ROR deal must be made before roster bonus deadline. 

- RK hiring

Maybe.  But being weak is enough of a crime.  Pat LaFontaine left abruptly, maybe he knew they were clueless and in control?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.