GDT Sabres at Rangers 7PM 3-2-21

spndnchz

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Thank you. This is at least a response I can read and understand outside of "kid punch ppl, he do good." I hope you are right about the bolded. 

That was very well put, but it was also the essence of what pretty much everyone on that side of the coin is saying. 

"kid punch ppl, he do good" is far more revealing about the way you view others vs. yourself in this conversation than it is an accurate description of what anyone is saying.

Just now, John Tucker said:

To that, we can agree.  He appears to be the bright spot that hopefully doesn't get tainted by the rest of this putrid roster

I'm definitely at a point where he's the only player that I really, really don't want to see them trade.

The Workhorse of Whitehorse.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Thank you. This is at least a response I can read and understand outside of "kid punch ppl, he do good." I hope you are right about the bolded. 

Yes, cuz that’s what we have been saying.

Excuse me while I go back to picking out bugs from my mate’s fur and eating them.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Yeah but why did it matter? Just kidding. Spot on assessment. Sadly it won’t be enough for him

You are right is isn't enough. Give me a 20000 word essay on why it mattered using advanced statistical analyses or I will continue to ask simple questions. 

• Sad 1

The disgusting part about all of this is that all we have to get excited about with this team is that fact that it takes a kid to try and fire up the rest of the dead weight, paycheck collecting group of garbage.  I would soooooo much rather be talking about the goal he scored, the pass he made, the save he made, etc..., but this is all we have to grasp on to at this point and it's so frustrating.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That was very well put, but it was also the essence of what pretty much everyone on that side of the coin is saying. 

"kid punch ppl, he do good" is far more revealing about the way you view others vs. yourself in this conversation than it is an accurate description of what anyone is saying.

No it actually says a lot about the ppl attacking me for asking the simplest of questions and not getting a solid answer until someone actually took the time to say something useful. 

The general gist of the conversation was "fight good" and that was about it. "Fight good, kid punch ppl" that was it. At least now we can all move on because someone actually spent the 2 seconds of time needed to compose and actual answer.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

No it actually says a lot about the ppl attacking me for asking the simplest of questions and not getting a solid answer until someone actually took the time to say something useful. 

The general gist of the conversation was "fight good" and that was about it. "Fight good, kid punch ppl" that was it. At least now we can all move on because someone actually spent the 2 seconds of time needed to compose and actual answer.

the liger cries out in pain as he degrades your mental capacity 

1 hour ago, John Tucker said:

You do realize that we are not allowed to have any sort of emotional response to a exciting action taken by a player on an unexcitable team without repercussions, correct?  

1 hour ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Ok guys, I’ve been looking for a reason, any reason at all, to get excited for this team. I’d hope that we can all agree that there hasn’t been any reason for excitement this year. It’s dreadful. Last night one of our promising young players showed some heart and beat a dude up to try to get the team fired up. Did it work? Well not so much. But I got excited as hell seeing it. I fell asleep during the 3rd period and missed it live. I was mad this morning when I woke up and saw it because I missed it. It was exciting for me. We might not win another game the rest of the year, but at least for the moment it gives me a glimmer of hope that there is still some heart on the team. Why can’t you guys let us have that?

54 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

He’s the only one that has. It could have been anyone else. But the fact that it was Cozens is big in my eyes. Was fighting even allowed in his junior league? I haven’t ever heard of him fighting anybody. That’s why, to me, it’s a big deal. It’s not like he’s some goon like John Scott just fighting people for no reason

Since Cal was the primary person I was responding too, here is the actual words. 

Cal thought the fight was a big deal, I asked why and it took 1 whole ***** page to get any semblance of an answer. So yea Flagg, it is telling how I viewed the conversation because that was how the conversation was. 

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

the liger cries out in pain as he degrades your mental capacity 

I could lie and say I missed your presence but unlike other posters, I don't. 

I asked a simple question and did get a good and simple answer. That clearly offended your sensibilities. I almost give a *****. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Since Cal was the primary person I was responding too, here is the actual words. 

Cal thought the fight was a big deal, I asked why and it took 1 whole ***** page to get any semblance of an answer. So yea Flagg, it is telling how I viewed the conversation because that was how the conversation was. 

I could lie and say I missed your presence but unlike other posters, I don't. 

I asked a simple question and did get a good and simple answer. That clearly offended your sensibilities. I almost give a *****. 

I'm not offended lol, you're just being incredibly disingenuous. Last night and this morning, a dozen different posters used different words to say the same thing that you so generously gave a grudging stamp of approval to (from Carmel Corn). 

Wait, you don't like me? Is it because I like to poop on all of your favorite modern mediocrities, like late night 'comedians' and Neil Tyson?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm not offended lol, you're just being incredibly disingenuous. Last night and this morning, a dozen different posters used different words to say the same thing that you so generously gave a grudging stamp of approval to (from Carmel Corn). 

Wait, you don't like me? Is it because I like to poop on all of your favorite modern mediocrities, like late night 'comedians' and Neil Tyson?

Wasn't grudging. I think it was a good answer that actually shed some light on why that fight mattered. 

as to the bolded...

Edited by LGR4GM

35 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

None of us are in the locker room, so we don't know.  Perhaps it means that a young kid is willing to show the rest of the locker room that he is willing to do whatever it takes to win.  Whether the rest of the room cares?  Many may not, so it may not accomplish a better result going forward.  

I don't think Cozens is expecting the other stars to throwing punches, but maybe his intent is to inspire the other players to break out of their complacent comfort zones and do something different than they are now to try and win.  I for one am not confident it will work with this bunch of players.

Regardless, I think Cozens took some initiative that much of the Sabre fan base appreciates.

This really is a good answer.

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Wasn't grudging. I think it was a good answer that actually shed some light on why that fight mattered. 

as to the bolded...

Genuinely confused because I don't think I ever got into any major disagreements with you, at least like I have with SwampD (Bylsma) and Hank (I don't even remember what, I'm sorry Hank), triumphcommunes (about anything and everything) etc. ? 

I agree that it was a very well-thought-out post, but again, literally everyone engaging from that side of the issue has said essentially the same thing haha, nobody is grug the caveman here 

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Paul said that Kyle also said he was proud of Dylan. IMO, that's no hockey cliche. Dylan showed Kyle something Kyle hasn't seen around these parts.

The real importance associated with Cozens fight last night is that he showed real leadership (I sense a problem and I am going to do something bold to address it), real courage to step outside his comfort zone, and real emotion.  And for a short period of time those traits had a positive impact on our bench.  When was the last time we saw any of that out of a Sabres roster, and when was the last time a rookie had to be the one to do it? (I'm thinking Brad May on Shane Corson for the same sort of reasons)

It's a good sign for Dylan that he felt compelled to react in these ways.  It's a bad sign fro the rest of the roster that Dylan felt compelled to react in these ways.  I tmeans the rest of the team was derilect in that regard.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John Tucker said:

What Eichel did last year wasn't a fight, it was an assault on an unwilling individual.  At the time he was pissed that everyone kept calling him out for not leading by example so he dropped the gloves with a guy that he knew wouldn't return any punches.  That's not leadership, that's a spoiled little brat's attempt at showing he's worthy of the "C".  His "fight" obviously had nothing to do with the outcome or the rest of the season.  The team around him sucks and I'm sure the one's that do care saw his hollow attempt for exactly what it was.  Leaders lead.  He's too busy circling around the perimeter and praying for the best.  The rest of the team follows his leadership.  It's pretty obvious that Cozens has jam to his game and that's the type of leader this team needs.

Lol 

4 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Trying to measure fighting and its impact by using goals for/against in the next five minutes strikes me as almost complete hubris about the ability to measure things. The use of the tactic of being able to define and measure everything is becoming laughable to the point that the misuse is blatantly absurd. The example is about like looking to see the temperature outside and whether it was a good day or not.

Whereas people thinking they know what’s going on inside Jack’s head isn’t hubris, at all.....

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I know it’s common place to rag on Okposo, but I thought he has played much better recently than he has in a very long time. I mean, he’s equally as ineffective as anyone else on the ice, but not more so. What you just posted doesn’t surprise me at all.

It's true that he's playing well, but at $6m/yr he needs to be scoring and creating more. 

3 hours ago, John Tucker said:

Not a single person said anything about fighting every shift, every night.  Quite contrary to your interpretation of the quote, the fact that he WANTED to spark the club with a fight speaks to the importance of it.  Again, you may be giddy over watching pond hockey but there is still a very large portion of every market's fan base that gets excited over this.  You're correct, it will eventually go away due to public pressure but that doesn't make it a good thing.  Checking will eventually be outlawed too.  There's a reason why nobody watches the NHL All-Star game.  20 goals a game with no intensity isn't exactly interesting.  I can do that on my xBox.

I mean... It was pretty clear why he fought.

For shady, selfish reasons you said, right? 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

All I’ll add is that just because an act is performative, does not mean that it is void of or unable to elicit an emotional response in others.

Ya but, Eichel’s was bad performative, and Cozens was good performative.

See: reasons

3 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

It can be debated whether it elicited any response from the team.  The stats would say NO, meaning no perceived "lift" in the play of the other players....disappointing. 

I would say though that if this were a home game last night in front of a full arena, the response from the crowd might be deafening....which still may or may not inspire this current team, but at least the fans in the stands would be charged-up.

Like the crowd when Jack did it 

Edited by Last Eichel Fan

2 hours ago, nucci said:

it's pretty incredible. I've never read so much about a useless fight is a game that continued a losing streak and keeps the team in last place. Are they trying to distract us? It's embarrassing

I’m fine with the fans who want to tout the fight. Tout your heart out. What I can’t accept is the double standard being applied to Eichel who’s been referenced several times within the context of the convo 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.