GDT Sabres at Rangers 7PM 3-2-21

spndnchz

A few thoughts:

1. Re: the statistical references, let's remember Einstein's quote that "Not everything that can be counted matters, and not everything that matters can be counted".

2. To me, it's not so much that Cozens actually fought as it is that he demonstrated ANY edgy physicality. We're so used to a passive, non-physical, non-intimidating style that an actual FIGHT is this shocking.

3. My observation is that most teams that make it deep into the playoffs are physical, edgy teams. Not brawlers. But they don't let you skate around without having your head on a swivel. That's still the way professional hockey is played. Until the NHL changes, to be competitive I think we have to have that edginess. See point #2 above.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Should someone start a “Jack Eichel countdown until NMC kicks in”  thread.

😂

what is it roughly now? Like 13 months or so?

does the NMC start April of 2022?

I think it's July 1 2022

10 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Embarrassing.  

But yea let's trust this front office to trade Eichel.  Hall.  Skinner.  

How can we get goaltending so wrong?  

This. 

This is last season

Give him the C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rob Ray going wild!!!!!!!

"This is what needs to be done with this group! And Jack Eichel is the perfect guy to do it". 

How quickly we forget. 

I was going to quote everyone in the thread slagging Jack because "that is how a REAL captain it supposed to look" but the post would have been several pages long. 

Edited by Last Eichel Fan

1 minute ago, Last Eichel Fan said:

Jack has fought before. It doesn't actually do anything if your team is terrible. 

This is true.

I don't believe many want Eichel traded, I do believe many are expecting it based on all that has happened in these past years.

If the kid wants out, no one here should be surprised or really upset about it. After all, if many of us were miserable at our job every day, we wouldn't hesitate to go somewhere else to work.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

This is true.

I don't believe many want Eichel traded, I do believe many are expecting it based on all that has happened in these past years.

If the kid wants out, no one here should be surprised or really upset about it. After all, if many of us were miserable at our job every day, we wouldn't hesitate to go somewhere else to work.

Ya, well, thread don't read that way do it. 

9 hours ago, SDS said:

Literally made ZERO difference. Lost 3-2. Number of goals scored after the fight - ZERO. Play prior and after - the same. 

Thankfully he didn’t break his hand hitting something that made zero difference. 

I agree it's meaningless. Not least because Jack fought last year and no one even remembered. That's proof enough. 

9 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Hutton since Oct 25 2019.  7 wins in his last 33 decisions. And they still put him in net !!!???

Kevin Aaaaaaadamns. 

How we could trust this guy to target what we actually need in any potential trade return is beyond me when he couldn't even sniff this one out. 

Gross negligence. 

8 hours ago, realtruelove said:

Cozens is sending a message to Eichel.  Cozens is a Josh Allen type leader.  Eichel is an empty suit.

8 hours ago, Jävə Keith said:

No one is saying bring back goon-ism or the 70's. But passion, defending yourself and your teammates physically, and sacrificing yourself for your team is leading by example, it is Servant Leadership.  Fighting has its place and it took a Rookie to show this team how to lead.  You say it doesn't impact the score.  I disagree. It may not have affected this game's score, but more of this kind of physical example, sacrifice, and leadership will equate to much improved scores and even more importantly WINS in the days/years to come

Stepping off the soapbox now to give someone else a turn : )

No, it didn't. 

And, in the days and years to come?? When do the wins start from Eichel's fight last year?

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

We get it, you don't like fighting. Pretty sure you're a minority view. As for it "going away" you've got to be joking. Tampa finally won last year because they beefed up with grit (even Bogo) and finally fought back. St. Louis Boston was a war. Even Toronto added grit this year. You're dreaming if you think it's going away any time soon, and I am glad for that. 

Sabres on the other hand are a soft joke. "lowest penalty minutes in the league" like it's a badge of honour lol. 

Pretty soon to be followed by "lowest number of W's in the league".

No relation, just pointing out that we're quite good at leading in dubious categories.

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This game was November 19, 2019 

Just got to this. I'm glad I reposted a couple times since your post here got Zero likes and all the posts about needing a real leader got like 10 each. 

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's funny the way metanarratives evolve - these views have lost a lot of their shine now that they no longer possess the edginess inherent to countercultural thinking. They stand rather nakedly, with not much to offer beneath the layer of smugness that cakes them

I didn't watch the game, but I heard a lot of callers, hosts, former hockey players, and current hockey players buzzing with energy afterwards because of Dylan Cozens. Being honest, I thought they had won the game when I started listening. Actually, it was so jarring that I was wondering why one close win against a bad team could make everyone sound like this given the context of this season (and decade). 

Almost exactly two years ago, Brandon Montour, Evan Rodrigues, and Conor Sheary combined to produce a goal with less than 3 minutes remaining. They won the game in overtime. I'd bet that less than 5% of the posters on this board can tell me anything else about the game I've just described. The reality is, had the Sabres tied and won tonight, Sabres players and fans wouldn't think about it again for the rest of their lives by the time this coming Islanders series is over. But there is a nonzero chance that Sabres fans talk about this Cozens fight a decade from now, and they certainly will remember it 3 years from now. It so obviously meant something to the players, fans, former players, and radio hosts that watched it - this was immediately self-evident. Humans use storytelling to drive their entire understanding of their universe and their place in it, to carry cultures and civilizations, and if Cozens works out the way he has a shot at working out, that fight will without a doubt kick off the Cozens chapter of Buffalo Sabre lore. The ugly context that depreciates the value a 3rd period tie will have to this season and our lasting memory of it also serves to amplify what he just did. It was so stark, fresh, invigorating, and you're the only one I've come across tonight that hasn't felt that. 

I certainly agree that the role of a strict enforcer does not serve the ultimate current goal that keeps people employed in the NHL, and so it will remain extinct (maybe forever, certainly for now). But I cannot deny the ballet of raw violence and passion that is competitive major sports, nor the role that these play for building and guiding males in societies spanning continents and millenia, and that these things will create moments like tonight time and time again. Particularly in our beloved ice hockey. To deny this is to ignore nature itself.

Oh, and while the mention of the potato was certainly out of context, it's pretty disingenuous to imply that the rapidly-accelerating descent into clown world implanting one of its more baffling developments into a sane & normal guy's mind is a more unnatural/contemptable instance of "being bothered" than a toy company feeling compelled "remove the gendered nature" of, or "de-gender," or whatever you want to call it, a toy they made 70 years ago called Mr. Potato Head, which spent that entire span of time firmly embedded in our pop culture, but that's probably for another board

LOL no one even remembered Jack fought last year, and you are *certain* Dylan's will be remembered in 3? 

I don't care how many times I'm going to post this in a row, this thread went off the rails. 

@SDSdoesn't need the moral high ground, he's already broken down the statistical one - and the arguments talking about the intangible qualities and memories the fight provides break down upon themselves by ignoring/forgetting past instances of the event where the result was Jack Squat. 

- - - 

Normally I don't wade into the to fight or not to fight argument as I don't care that much and everyone likes what they like, but if Dylan's is going to be romanticized and weaponized* against Jack, I'm calling bullsh*t, cause it's assuredly bullsh*t

*not saying this is what you yourself are doing particularly 

• Like (+1) 1

Still not a word from the GM or ownership.

From all appearances I am heavily suspecting there is utter and complete chaos reigning behind closed doors. I cannot imagine any of this is acceptable at any level.

I believe multiple roster players will be on their way out the door between the deadline and off season, this cannot continue. It is just brutal torture of the Sabres fan base.

Edited by Scottysabres

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

From all appearances I am heavily suspecting there is utter and complete chaos reigning behind closed doors. I cannot imagine any of this is acceptable at any level.

I believe multiple roster players will be on their way out the door between the deadline and off season, this cannot continue. It is just brutal torture of the Sabres fan base.

I disagree. I’m repeating myself but I really believe this entire disaster of a season will be blamed on the pandemic.  

15 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

You think the GM and Ownership should call a press conference or put out a public statement, why exactly?  Because the team lost 3 in a row?

EDIT: whoops, it’s 4 in a row.  I lose track.

Edited by Curt
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.