Who Should Be On The Top PP, Risto or Samson?

bob_sauve28

I've always liked the big body in front of the goalie and Risto does it well. It's either Hall or Reinhart for sure. Or a third option, put Cozens in the bumper position and have a second unit with those 2 guys, and leave Jack out, maybe Skinner and Miller.

Just now, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I've always liked the big body in front of the goalie and Risto does it well. It's either Hall or Reinhart for sure. Or a third option, put Cozens in the bumper position and have a second unit with those 2 guys, and leave Jack out, maybe Skinner and Miller too.

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Risto makes the unit better. Just the fact that there is always a body in front of the net makes even weak point shots potential goals. 

No he doesn't. If you are taking weak point shots on the pp, your pp is complete garbage and your entire coaching staff should be fired. 

Sam Reinhart is better than Risto on the pp. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No he doesn't. If you are taking weak point shots on the pp, your pp is complete garbage and your entire coaching staff should be fired. 

Sam Reinhart is better than Risto on the pp. 

Oh, we don’t need to fire anyone, just put big moose Risto in front of that net and watch the goals come 

32 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t see Hall bringing much so far.  Take him off of it.  

Did you see you are one of the three stars for the week? 🍻 🍕 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Oh, we don’t need to fire anyone, just put big moose Risto in front of that net and watch the goals come 

What have they got? 1 goal with him in front of the net? 

Again, if you are running your PP from the point, you should fire the entire coaching staff. 

Reinhart no question.   He's been doing the same thing as Risto did on the PP, only Sam has better offensive instincts/skill.

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Running the PP from the point with a screen in front does not work unless it is 2007. 

Everybody does it, that's hockey 101.    What do you suggest?

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Reinhart no question.   He's been doing the same thing as Risto did on the PP, only Sam has better offensive instincts/skill.

Everybody does it, that's hockey 101.    What do you suggest?

Run the PP from below the goal line. 

https://thecoachessite.com/behind-net-powerplay-formation-driven-analytics/

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Interesting approach.     My initial thought is this probably works really well in amatuer/youth hockey, not sure how well it would work in pro, with bigger bodies/sticks clogging passing lanes down low.      The PP QB usually has a cannon at the NHL level, which is quite the weapon.

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Interesting approach.     My initial thought is this probably works really well in amatuer/youth hockey, not sure how well it would work in pro, with bigger bodies/sticks clogging passing lanes down low.      The PP QB usually has a cannon at the NHL level, which is quite the weapon.

Right because things get through when you bomb them from the point because you now "the PP Qb has a cannon". 

Running a PP from as far away from the net as you can get is stupid and outdated. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

If Risto stays there in front of the net someone has to come off the top unit, I can’t see Ollie, Hall, Jack or Dahlin being taken off. It would have to be Sam. 

Sorry Sammy 😞 

Agree. Risto brings some attitude and force vs Reinhart who is finesse.  We have enough finesse on this team already (as Risto said well in the post game yesterday).

• Like (+1) 1

Don't take my word though, let's talk about the Pros since that was the only thing you could toss out there. 

Boston Bruins. 

https://theathletic.com/1441607/2019/12/11/slim-fast-on-the-power-play-the-net-front-presence-continues-to-evolve/

Even though Torey Krug has a good shot, the first power-play unit’s quarterback is distributing them more than launching them on net.

“More important to have a guy recover pucks and make small-area plays than it is, maybe, to screen the goalie,” Cassidy said.

Again, if our PP is just bombing shots from the point or top of the circles, it is going to have major issues just like last year. Teams will dial in and that will be that. 

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The cannon is still effective in running from below the line.  The key is to make the defenders have to continually turn.  In the cliche 1-3-1 the defenders can 99% face up ice.  Every defender is taught not to go behind the net on the PK so that space is open.

Also, most teams don't use the cannon, they rely on the FO shooters more.  Teams have gotten real good at how to put the right pressure on and only teams with highly effective shooters see success (thankfully that's the Sabres this year).

I would drive it below the net all day long.  A good QB below the net can still get a pass up to the cannon on the blue line.

• Like (+1) 1

Imagine getting the defenders to collapse and then putting it back to the top of the circle, the defenders are now forced to quickly shift back out to block the lanes but too late because the puck was passed across ice to an open shooter below the circle for a goal. All because you got them to collapse low by taking the puck behind the net. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the primary objective of PP1 is setting up Eichel and Olofsson for one-timers, then Risto should be in front. Eichel, Olofsson for sniping, Hall and Dahlin for distribution.

Reino is excellent in front of the net, but he can do that on PP2 as well as operate on the half wall, jump below the goal line and distribute, and pop open for his underrated shot. He's much more versatile. He and Cozens combined on PP2 could be very effective.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

If Risto stays there in front of the net someone has to come off the top unit, I can’t see Ollie, Hall, Jack or Dahlin being taken off. It would have to be Sam. 

Sorry Sammy 😞 

Wait. I thought everybody keeps telling me I'm wrong and Sam goes to the dirty areas so why do we need Risto?

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Right because things get through when you bomb them from the point because you now "the PP Qb has a cannon". 

Running a PP from as far away from the net as you can get is stupid and outdated. 

Running it from behind the net where you can't score from is even dumber.    It's like killing a penalty in the neutral zone. 

Put Risto down low on the second unit and rotate him onto the first unit as needed for injury or if production falls off.

Sam doesn't provide the type of screen Risto does because Risto has no fear and stands in there while Sam will slide over and go for the tip. 

Sam does give them much better playmaking and passing however which is why he should stay on PP1 IMO

39 minutes ago, tennessee dan said:

Pathetic that we have to put Risto in front of the net because our forwards won't go there.

@tennessee dan Welcome.  Nice to have another Southern Voice.  As to Risto on the PP, Boston used Chara for many years in that net front position to great affect.  The issue is size more then F’s unwilling to go there on the PP.  Samson has made a living doing just that.  I like Risto more in that role on the first PP.  

The question for me is Samson vs Hall on the first PP.  

On the second PP, I’m placing Skinner in front, Samson on the RW wall, Miller as the QB, Staal at center and Cozens or Mittelstadt on the other wall.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.