Everything Kevyn Adams has done as Sabres GM

Zamboni

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's the argument I'm dead against. NOBODY WANTS TO BE NEGATIVE  about the team, the team puts us in a position where there is no other option if you have any objectivity at all. 

So you are the judge on objectivity?

I think this D-unit is highly talented but the youngest in the league by far and I feel they will get better with more expereience.

I think Tage is going to bounce back next year, he hurt his wrist, and Matthews had a similar injury and has his production drop about 30% the year he played through it.

Since the beginning of the year, it is obvious to me the team is playing a different style in their own zone, in over 30 games they have a winning record and even in their losses, 90% of them have been close.  

So you may not agree with me, but to say that I dont' have any objectivity at all? That is YOU not being objective.  Seeing the team is playing better over the course of almost a half season is being objective.  Understanding that a Defensive group who's top 4 is by far the youngest and most inexpereienced in the league and realizing that is being objective.  Saying "enough is enough" and just being negative and wanting coahes and GM's fired because you ran out of patience?  Not objective, that is more of an "Agenda". I refuse at this point to be that way.

Next December, if they are still floundering out of the playoffs, sure I will likely be there then, but not now. I'm choosing to be 'objective' in that I realize the only way to improve is not changing who the players and coaches are, but to understand your existing players and coaches can improve.

Edited by mjd1001

20 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I think this D-unit is highly talented but the youngest in the league by far and I feel they will get better with more expereience.

I think Tage is going to bounce back next year, he hurt his wrist, and Matthews had a similar injury and has his production drop about 30% the year he played through it.

Since the beginning of the year, it is obvious to me the team is playing a different style in their own zone, in over 30 games they have a winning record and even in their losses, 90% of them have been close.  

So you may not agree with me, but to say that I dont' have any objectivity at all? That is YOU not being objective.  Seeing the team is playing better over the course of almost a half season is being objective.  Understanding that a Defensive group who's top 4 is by far the youngest and most inexpereienced in the league and realizing that is being objective.  Saying "enough is enough" and just being negative and wanting coahes and GM's fired because you ran out of patience?  Not objective, that is more of an "Agenda". I refuse at this point to be that way.

Next December, if they are still floundering out of the playoffs, sure I will likely be there then, but not now. I'm choosing to be 'objective' in that I realize the only way to improve is not changing who the players and coaches are, but to understand your existing players and coaches can improve.

Was that first line necessary?

I'd address your points but with that line off the top you're not worth carrying on the discussion with. Have a nice day.

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Was that first line necessary?

I'd address your points but with that line off the top you're not worth carrying on the discussion with. Have a nice day.

Well to be fair you mentioned the objectivity thing first..

I don’t think it’s fair to say you objectively have to be negative like you mentioned, but I do agree with you in your insistence it’s not a desire to be negative: in that it’s also very fair to say that, whether measuring by our failure of 13 years or the last 4, there’s clearly enough factual data to back up the disappointment, to the extent that a suggestion the negativity is necessarily there “just because” or by choice is sort of absurd 

57 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well to be fair you mentioned the objectivity thing first..

I don’t think it’s fair to say you objectively have to be negative like you mentioned, but I do agree with you in your insistence it’s not a desire to be negative: in that it’s also very fair to say that, whether measuring by our failure of 13 years or the last 4, there’s clearly enough factual data to back up the disappointment, to the extent that a suggestion the negativity is necessarily there “just because” or by choice is sort of absurd 

What's your point? You want to squabble just to squabble? You bored? Or do you fancy yourself above others? Come on man, you know what the point was. It's fanboy blind belief vs. facts and results. The actual results. and the actual results are another year of failure. 

I'm tired of "next year" aren't you? I don't want to hear any more crap about "we are the youngest" when it's a self fulfilling prophecy as we continually make ourselves even younger. There is no other successful team that operates on this sort of model and the results speak for themselves. That's the objectivity and if anyone rejects that, it's just blinders on fanboy speak and I personally have no time for that because there's no speaking to it. That mind is made up and it puts on it's hat and chants slogans regardless of facts. You can't have a discussion with that, it's just impossible and pointless. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

So 13 years of no playoffs is an unacceptable number to be negative about the team, but 14 years it's OK.

Got it.

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, Demoted said:

So 13 years of no playoffs is an unacceptable number to be negative about the team, but 14 years it's OK.

Got it.

Nope, not at all.  It is laughable how much you "don't get it" that it is almost funny that you make a post back to me that way.

It is amazing to me that some of us have a differnent opinion and state it, and how many comments back those of us who are optimisitic about this team get like the one you posted...do all of you negative people have such a fragile ego that you need a mental victory lap that bad that you need to make smart comments back instead of actually debating the topic?  I guess so.

So you are another one just making a point because you want to without regard to reading or understanding my posts.  Lots of that going on around here lately.

Adams wasn't here for the last 13 years, Neither was Granato, not the players either.  RIGHT NOW I am happy with the franchise's direction. What happened 13 years ago has basically zero to do with how they are performing now/their direction now.  

For an emotional, irrantional fan, I guess it could be. But the decisions being made now don't have much carryover from what happened 13 years ago.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Eyeroll 1

We have all been here suffering. Hell, I forget how many years I've been here now, but I think we were in the playoffs when I stared lurking or posting..

We don't have a 1st year GM, he's going on, what, 5. 

So yes, let the negativity flow, we've earned our right to be skeptical, negative or pissy. 

Pegula still needs to sell and GTFO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

What's your point? You want to squabble just to squabble? You bored? Or do you fancy yourself above others? Come on man, you know what the point was. It's fanboy blind belief vs. facts and results. The actual results. and the actual results are another year of failure. 

I'm tired of "next year" aren't you? I don't want to hear any more crap about "we are the youngest" when it's a self fulfilling prophecy as we continually make ourselves even younger. There is no other successful team that operates on this sort of model and the results speak for themselves. That's the objectivity and if anyone rejects that, it's just blinders on fanboy speak and I personally have no time for that because there's no speaking to it. That mind is made up and it puts on it's hat and chants slogans regardless of facts. You can't have a discussion with that, it's just impossible and pointless. 

Now who's calling names?  Is it an affront to you if someone chooses to look at the positives of the team and refuses to share your opinions?  A lot of a viewpoint on this team really boils down to the time period over which you want to evaluate it.  There's certainly a natural affinity to looking at the tenure of the current owner and calling it a failure.

That said, the current team and its leadership are not responsible for all of the owner's failure.  The team established a plan and they've stuck to it. They are a young team and yes, they got younger.  This year, they said they were a playoff team, that was their goal. I am sure they believed the players would improve collectively and it obviously did not happen.  As such,this season is a failure as measured against their stated goal. But the prior years under Adams they did not establish playoffs as their goal, and as such, we cannot say they failed in achieving their goal.  Now, whether their achievements measured up to each person's subjective measurement is quite another story.  But, that's subjectivity for you.

As for the bolded statement, I think you are defining yourself just as much as you are attempting to define others.  The opposing viewpoint is that anyone patently dismissing an argument for positivity is just a hater and there's no speaking to it. The haters mind is made up.

The team has failed against their stated goal this season.  Overall it's been 12 years of failure and not looking good for year 13. That said, there are still positives to take away on the future of the team. Next year will come either way and there's no harm in looking ahead even if some people are tired of doing so.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Your first paragraph is just erroneous I admittedly don’t really know what you are talking about. My point was my point: you don’t have to, objectively, be frustrated with the situation. Just because I am doesn’t mean I am automatically foisting that opinion on others, that’s my point

I resent the bit about considering myself above others I don’t even understand the statement especially not in context. I just disagreed with your assertion that there’s *no other option but to be negative*. And I’m saying this AS someone who is negative about the team because the results, IMO, demand it. 

13 minutes ago, LTS said:

Now who's calling names?  Is it an affront to you if someone chooses to look at the positives of the team and refuses to share your opinions?  A lot of a viewpoint on this team really boils down to the time period over which you want to evaluate it.  There's certainly a natural affinity to looking at the tenure of the current owner and calling it a failure.

That said, the current team and its leadership are not responsible for all of the owner's failure.  The team established a plan and they've stuck to it. They are a young team and yes, they got younger.  This year, they said they were a playoff team, that was their goal. I am sure they believed the players would improve collectively and it obviously did not happen.  As such,this season is a failure as measured against their stated goal. But the prior years under Adams they did not establish playoffs as their goal, and as such, we cannot say they failed in achieving their goal.  Now, whether their achievements measured up to each person's subjective measurement is quite another story.  But, that's subjectivity for you.

As for the bolded statement, I think you are defining yourself just as much as you are attempting to define others.  The opposing viewpoint is that anyone patently dismissing an argument for positivity is just a hater and there's no speaking to it. The haters mind is made up.

The team has failed against their stated goal this season.  Overall it's been 12 years of failure and not looking good for year 13. That said, there are still positives to take away on the future of the team. Next year will come either way and there's no harm in looking ahead even if some people are tired of doing so.

I don't want this team to lose, but I agree with most of what you said.  There are just so many people on this board that want to complain.  If one of us chooses to be positive, chooses to look at things in a positive matter, its like we become the enemy, like we are stading in the way somehow of heads starting to roll and that just can't happen so shout us down!  

Those of us who are postive on the direction of the team right now...maybe we are wrong about it and this team will have a change and get better because of it.  But then again maybe not.  But to all the negative people out there who have made up their minds and are just going to complain about everything...well, we all KNOW they have never been wrong about anything on this forum, right?  That must be why they get so offended they feel the need to respond to so many posts some of us make that are positive and not challenging anyone else other than saying things we like about being fans of this team.

Look, I THOUGHT this team was going to challenge for a playoff spot and probably get one this season when we were talking about it, but I did not think it was guaranteed at all. They started out bad, but for the last few months (since January 1) I have LIKED watching this team. I think the team Defense has gotten a LOT better. They have a winning record since then.  They have hardly had a game they haven't been in late in the game. They have a lot of big wins. So No, I am not happy with the beginning of the season, but I think 3+ months of them playing MUCH better is not a small sample size. I LIKE that direction since then, I think it might be sustainable, and I'm looking forward to the team, in the offseason,  supplementing what they have had for the last 3 months. 

Like the Vancouver game. They lost. They didn't play well. But they were on the road. West coast. 2nd night of a back-to-back. They were within one goa the entire game. Against one of the best teams in the league. After playing a great game the day before.  They lost, but guess what, in the big picture, I'm not all that upset about it.  Why?  To me as a fan its not the end of the world if a team loses a game like that.  But the amount of venom, hate, vitriol on this forum during and after that game...thats just not me.

My life doesn't revolve around the success of this team, they are entertainment. If I watch a game and they win, I like that. And since the beginning of this calendar year, they have won more than they lost so I like that.  I also think with most of this current team, and the current GM/coach, that is likely to continue into next year, and I like the thought of that possibility. If that is offensive to so many people, then too bad, I don't care I'm going to keep posting about it unless/until they get a LOT worse over a long stretch again.

Edited by mjd1001

8 minutes ago, Demoted said:

You wrote a book complaining about people that have the right to be angry woth this team. Maybe you need to stop complaining.

Maybe I need to stop complaining?  Maybe YOU need to comprehend a point of view other than your own? I guess that is too big of a problem for you though.

It has zero to do with having the right to be angry about the team missing the playoffs again...Again, you just dont get it, do you even read anything I post.

I'm complaning about people taking shots at posts that I (and others) have simply becuase we say something good about the team. We get 'eyeroll' emojis and smart comments made to us because we aren't on the 'everything is bad, blow everything up' train.

The "book" I wrote was intened exactly for people like you, the ones who haven't read many of our other posts or simply do not have the ability to 'read between the lines' so I thought I would spell it out. Guess that doesn't even work.

Yes, I am talking about other people's posts right now...but I want to know, why do SO many other people take offense to a postive post about this team? Until someone makes a smart comment back to me, I hardly ever, maybe NEVER disagree with someone who is negative in any way (initial response/post) other than saying something like "I disagree with you and here is why" or something like that. Why are the negtative people on this forum just so eager to take it as a challenge, or a persona afront that they must address with what they think is a 'smart' or 'clever' respons, if not outright anger?  I might be doing that not because of how this converstation is going, but that is not how I operate on this forum when discussing topics....until the time (and it almost always happens) that someone responds to one of my posts that way because me (or some others) DARED to say we are happy with aspects of this team.

You don't want me to 'write a book' or you want to tell me to stop complaining...well, too bad. Those are the types of comments that people make to me that will give me all the more reason to do it.  Want to have a rational discussion of where we disagree, fine, but come across as dismissive or make comments like that, and I'm going to respond back (providing I'm not busy with something else in life, which happens)

Edited by mjd1001
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

It has zero to do with having the right to be angry about the team missing the playoffs again...Again, you just dont get it, do you even read anything I post.

I'm complaning about people taking shots at posts that I (and others) have simply becuase we say something good about the team. We get 'eyeroll' emojis and smart comments made to us because we aren't on the 'everything is bad, blow everything up' train.

The "book" I wrote was intened exactly for people like you, the ones who haven't read many of our other posts or simply do not have the ability to 'read between the lines' so I thought I would spell it out. Guess that doesn't even work.

I think I'm jealous that I can't get excited like I want to. I'm not seeing the progress necessarily and then when they start playing better, I just assume they'll start the next season the same exact way. 

This city would light up like a Moonless Scandanvaian summer if the sabres spring to greatness again. But I don't know how many more years we have before we lose and entire generation and subsequent frenzy like we used to. 

I freaking hope at some point we turn this around (the bills went 17 years and now look at them) but this is hockey and not as popular as football. 

5 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I think I'm jealous that I can't get excited like I want to. I'm not seeing the progress necessarily and then when they start playing better, I just assume they'll start the next season the same exact way. 

This city would light up like a Moonless Scandanvaian summer if the sabres spring to greatness again. But I don't know how many more years we have before we lose and entire generation and subsequent frenzy like we used to. 

I freaking hope at some point we turn this around (the bills went 17 years and now look at them) but this is hockey and not as popular as football. 

I understand that. 

In December, I was lighting up this board (well maybe not THAT bad) with frustrations of how they were playing in their own zone.  I was ready to 'buy the train ticket' myself to ship Cozens out of town.

But then for me, a few things happened.  I read a couple posts of other people on the forum saying how when they see kids, or take their kids to the game...a lot of time the kids don't really are if they win or lose, they just like being there, or watching the game.  I then thought about when I had the most fun watching the team, and a lot of it was when I was a kid/teenager in the 1980's and 1990's....and they didn't win then, but I still liked the game...because it was a GAME.  Add to that that the team started playing better....and finally, I realized I enjoyed watching the game, I enjoyed watching OTHER NHL games besides the Sabres, when my main only concern wasn't if the Sabres make the playoffs this year..and rather started to think of each game as nightly entertainment.

And with the team playing better, I'm able to find more things about the team that I like.  So I'm certainly not 'excited', and yes, we have been burned before by thinking good play at the end of one season will carry over to the next, but i'm not letting that get in the way of enjoying certain things I see now.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LTS said:

and there's no harm in critiquing that either. I don't stop anybody from posting anything, but it's also my right to say what I want and if I find a rebuttal to my comment(s) to be fanboy crap I will be free to say so and also free to not address it further. Why you decided to get involved in that likely speaks to you seizing an opportunity to attack me personally and if that is what you want to do have at it, but it won't help the Sabres win. 

Really doesn't matter if you choose 13 years of failure or 4 years of the latest GM as failure, they are both horrible failures and very few if any GMs last past that sort of thing.

Biggest problem I have with the chosen argument is that using "youngest team" as the excuse ignores the fact this GM CHOSE to have the youngest team. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

Your first paragraph is just erroneous I admittedly don’t really know what you are talking about. My point was my point: you don’t have to, objectively, be frustrated with the situation. Just because I am doesn’t mean I am automatically foisting that opinion on others, that’s my point

I resent the bit about considering myself above others I don’t even understand the statement especially not in context. I just disagreed with your assertion that there’s *no other option but to be negative*. And I’m saying this AS someone who is negative about the team because the results, IMO, demand it. 

Everyone "foists their opinion" on others here, that's what the medium does. You are choosing to judge my way of writing as if you have a superior perspective and/or manner. You can do that, you can do anything the mods allow, but you actually have no right to do it and definitely no authority to make it true. 

We are all just a bunch of a-holes with opinions. No more no less. You, me, everybody here. 

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Everyone "foists their opinion" on others here, that's what the medium does. You are choosing to judge my way of writing as if you have a superior perspective and/or manner. You can do that, you can do anything the mods allow, but you actually have no right to do it and definitely no authority to make it true. 

We are all just a bunch of a-holes with opinions. No more no less. You, me, everybody here. 

Hey, I'm an a-hole with a recently age related a-hole award, a hemorrhoid. So, I'm now "extra", as the kids would say, in the a-hole dept. 😜 

• Haha (+1) 1

Whatever Adams has done to or for the Sabres hasn’t been enough to end the playoff drought.  What more needs to be said.  

A competent GM would make substantive changes to his roster and coaching.  Therefore I’m expecting more Ostrich head in the sand management this summer from the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Adams is nothing more than a yes man for Pegula that follows whatever he is told to do. Anyone who thinks he is not under an internal cap is fooling themselves.

That coaching staff is ECHL level at best. 

They will keep everybody and insert a couple young kids to keep costs down. Then be perplexed why it is 14 years no playoffs and 6000 people in the stands.

What really has Kevyn done?

1. He has built a roster where the guys like each other.  

2. He has built a deep pipeline of potential NHL talent but no elite players except maybe Levi.

3. He has built the youngest roster in the NHL with many good and solid players but with no elite one except Dahlin and maybe Byram. 

4.  The team is producing marginally better results than the two prior administrations 

Here is what he hasn’t done:

1. Build an organization and a team culture that’s focused on winning and has accountability for players, coaches and staff when the goal of winning isn’t achieved.  

2 Build a roster capable of even making the playoffs.  They aren’t physical enough.  The forward groups also lacks capable playmakers or enough forwards willing to back check 

3. Bring in good players from winning organizations who have a winning expectation for themselves and their teammates and demand accountability in the locker room. Guys like Drury and Numminen. Yes those guys are hard to come by but not impossible. 

4. Clean out the roster dead wood quickly enough. VO, KO, Girgensons, Jost, Bryson, Comrie were all retained and brought back this season.  None should have been here at all and none should return.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

and there's no harm in critiquing that either. I don't stop anybody from posting anything, but it's also my right to say what I want and if I find a rebuttal to my comment(s) to be fanboy crap I will be free to say so and also free to not address it further. Why you decided to get involved in that likely speaks to you seizing an opportunity to attack me personally and if that is what you want to do have at it, but it won't help the Sabres win. 

Really doesn't matter if you choose 13 years of failure or 4 years of the latest GM as failure, they are both horrible failures and very few if any GMs last past that sort of thing.

Biggest problem I have with the chosen argument is that using "youngest team" as the excuse ignores the fact this GM CHOSE to have the youngest team. 

It is your right to say what you want, we all have the right to say it unless the mods disagree.  However, your point was shutting down any oppositional viewpoint by saying people are not listening or refusing to understand when you were doing the same thing.  Nothing any of us do on this forum will help the Sabres win, why would you even bring that up? 

As for why I got involved?  Because I am not a fanboy but I am positive. So in your statement you included me. I am tired of the negativity as well as I've mentioned in other places on the forum.  Every day its the same statements in every thread. Hell the guy who got hired as COO is being blasted and he hasn't done anything yet.

The GM has had this time period to build a team because the prior methods of getting this team to the playoffs failed spectacularly. The cupboard was drained of all talent.  Again, there was plan... we all get to choose whether we like it or not. The GM chose to have the youngest team because that was the plan.  What we won't know is that if this year's plan had paid off and IF the Sabres were in a playoff position would Adams have retained Mitts and then traded away some youth for shoring up the roster?  We don't know that.  Instead, at the deadline he had an offer to improve the team for next year and he took it. We don't know what other moves will come next so there's no point in assuming negative outcomes.

I get people being frustrated, angry, etc. I think what irritates those people is when they see others who aren't suffering along with them. Post a positive around here and people want to tear you down. They want to drag into their level of hell so you can join them.  It's actually a very natural action and not just when talking about the Buffalo Sabres.

I don't like this year. I'm disappointed by the team... but that's it.  I'm more upset at the inches of snow falling outside my window right now than I am with the Buffalo Sabres.  Because whether they win or lose, it will still be a bitch to get my Friday night beers at the store.

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Whatever Adams has done to or for the Sabres hasn’t been enough to end the playoff drought.  What more needs to be said.  

A competent GM would make substantive changes to his roster and coaching.  Therefore I’m expecting more Ostrich head in the sand management this summer from the Sabres.

Sadly, it appears that Adams boss is ok with the "progress". 

With the new COO hire somebody should ask Adams

" Now that that Pete has joined that staff, based on your 4 years as GM here in Buffalo and the current product on the ice, do you think more or less fans should be showing up to the arena? With somebody directly managing the business side of the team, how much pressure is there from the higher ups to actually field a professional hockey team?"

Edited by Mango

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What really has Kevyn done?

1. He has built a roster where the guys like each other.  

2. He has built a deep pipeline of potential NHL talent but no elite players except maybe Levi.

3. He has built the youngest roster in the NHL with many good and solid players but with no elite one except Dahlin and maybe Byram. 

4.  The team is producing marginally better results than the two prior administrations 

Here is what he hasn’t done:

1. Build an organization and a team culture that’s focused on winning and has accountability for players, coaches and staff when the goal of winning isn’t achieved.  

2 Build a roster capable of even making the playoffs.  They aren’t physical enough.  The forward groups also lacks capable playmakers or enough forwards willing to back check 

3. Bring in good players from winning organizations who have a winning expectation for themselves and their teammates and demand accountability in the locker room. Guys like Drury and Numminen. Yes those guys are hard to come by but not impossible. 

4. Clean out the roster dead wood quickly enough. VO, KO, Girgensons, Jost, Bryson, Comrie were all retained and brought back this season.  None should have been here at all and none should return.  

Add to hasn't done list: 

5.  He has not done anything to inspire a winning culture and change the perception of this team throughout the league.  (Should have been priority 1 but instead he let good players go, and kept only the ones that wanted to stay.  He supported them with AHL/NHL JAGs and bad goalies to "not block" the prospects).  

As a result, he is still having trouble acquiring vets in their prime years that want to win because #5 is not a priority like it was for Beane and McDermott.  Good players that want to win go to the teams that show they want to win.  No veteran is on a 5 year plan.   

• Like (+1) 1