2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

Liger's Lads Midterm

So here are my top 10 for the mids (seems to be the time). I went back and forth on a bunch of these guys and moved a couple things but in the end I stuck with my process. 

1. Matthew Beniers C, the production, skating, and skills are all just perfectly translatable to the NHL. He's always moving but it is with purpose and he sees the ice really well. His game is very very complete and I think if he adds even just a little more to the toolbox he could be a ROR type of player. His NCAA production is better than all but 4 guys in their D+1 year for my 3 years of data. 
  2. Dylan Guenther RW, almost slipped to third as I worry about his transitions but skating, shot, everything else is pretty nice. He gets his shot off quickly, accurately, and with power. His backchecks really well and is smart. He loves to drive the slot. 
  3. William Eklund C/LW, he make Alex Holtz better by being his center and Eklund just is really good at everything. There's a clever way he moves about the ice and he is very creative with SHL numbers better than Holtz or Dahlin in his draft year. Eklund is gonna be a steal when he slides because he is only 5'10". 
  4. Luke Hughes LHD, he's almost 2 years younger than our 2020 pick Jack Quinn and he's very gifted. His game is solid but there's another level there with how good his skating in. He lacks the burst of his famous brother Quinn but I think that is because he is taller (6'2") and hasn't filled out his frame yet. Best part is he will be playing with Beniers, Power, and Johnson next season at Michigan. 
  5. Owen Power LHD, I went back and re-watched almost all the stuff you can find on Power and I did it without thinking of Beniers or Johnson who he also played with. My take away is that there is some rawness to his game but when he is on, he's really good. He needs to be more physical at the blue line but the rest of his game is solid.
  6. Brandt Clarke RHD, this was almost someone else but Clarke was really solid in the slovak league and his game rounded into form. I think his overall play is good but he sometimes does some weird things and has bad passes. Still he's got a lot of talent but he is a little raw in his own end. 
  7. Fyodor Svechkov C, now some of you just said "who?" and I am here to tell you about a very underrated player in the draft in this guy. Basically from what I have gathered (Scouching reports helped) he's an offensive driver with no one to drive the offense too. Alone on the island of misfit toys he does everything well and is a gifted playmaker who can play a 200ft game. I think there's tons of potential if you pair him with a shooter... or really any talent. 
  8. Fabian Lysell RW, this dynamic speedster is lightning in a bottle. Probably the best pure skater in the class (sorry Beniers) he uses it to great effect (affect?) and he's not afraid to play 200ft and boy is he aggressive in pursuit. He reminds me a little of Robertson but not quite there yet. 
  9. Kent Johnson LW/C, lower on my list than some, Johnson has a lot of skill and you see it when he gets in the offensive zone. His skating is very good and his shot is underrated. The issue here is that Johnson can be a perimeter guy at times and he really benefited from the chaos Beniers created. Still lots of potential and if he bulks up (listed at 165lb 6'1" to start the season) he could really start to drive the slot and move off the perimeter. 
  10. Cole Sillinger C, this was almost 1 of 4 other players but in the end it was noted that Sillinger did this on his own. The only minor concern is his skating which is fine and has improved but would be considered average for the class or just above. Doesn't seem to hinder him much as everything else about deception and creating offense. When he gets back to the WHL next, it will be interesting to see what he does. 
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Really appreciate this stuff.

I don’t agree exactly with the weight you give certain elements, but I love the fact you build a structure and lean into it. 

Particularly think the NHL could learn to pay more attention to production, particularly the way you weight it.

Quick note. My rankings will reflect the fact the OHL did not play and I am sorry to say I do not have the ability to correct for that. Some good OHL guys will simply get missed and this is due to my limits and the way I look at production. 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Really appreciate this stuff.

I don’t agree exactly with the weight you give certain elements, but I love the fact you build a structure and lean into it. 

Particularly think the NHL could learn to pay more attention to production, particularly the way you weight it.

Defender or forward, if you can't produce at lower levels, you won't at higher ones. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Quick note. My rankings will reflect the fact the OHL did not play and I am sorry to say I do not have the ability to correct for that. Some good OHL guys will simply get missed and this is due to my limits and the way I look at production. 

Do you think this could lead to more late round surprises?

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Do you think this could lead to more late round surprises?

Yes. I would expect this draft to have a bunch of 3-5th rounders become really really good because that's where teams will be comfortable taking some of the OHL guys. OHL guys to watch... Pinelli, McTavish, Stillman, Harrison, Hayes, Othmann, Johnston.

Edited by LGR4GM

What is your take on Edvinsson? I saw a guy with little hockey sense and then I watched the Scouching video and oh boy. I just don’t see a top 3 pick there unless someone falls in love with the sexy skating/size combo. Praise the Lord it is not Buffalo🤪

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Honorable mentions:

Aatu Raty C

Chaz Lucius C

Mason McTavish C/W

Zach L'Heureux C/LW

Simon Edvinsson LHD

Matt Coronato LW

Sasha Pastujov LW

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Do you have him at 1 for need? Then I would understand coming from buffalo

him who?

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

What is your take on Edvinsson? I saw a guy with little hockey sense and then I watched the Scouching video and oh boy. I just don’t see a top 3 pick there unless someone falls in love with the sexy skating/size combo. Praise the Lord it is not Buffalo🤪

I don't understand the Edvinsson love and I have tried. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't understand why you have Beniers 1 when guenther beats him in every  single category besides being a "center" but you said faceoffs don't matter so this should be an easy decision 

Oh that's who you mean. When I watch Guenther I see a lot of him going to the right spot, getting the puck and either making a slick move or shooting outright. I watch other players carry the puck in and he gets passes and makes magic. 

Beniers is a transition monster. He carries the puck in. He retrieves the dump in. He is all over the zone making things happen. That style appeals to me more. 

So really it is about what you want in a player versus saying Benier/Eklund/Guenther are better than the other.

NCAA is a step up from the WHL. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

him who?

I don't understand the Edvinsson love and I have tried. 

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

He reminds  a lot of OEL the young and good one lol I would definitely take him over powers

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.