2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

You would trade from 1 or 2 down to the middle of the 1st to take a guy ranked at the end of the 1st round on a hunch he might turn out like another player? What?

Yup. Obviously I'd want something for that down trade. You make it sound like I'd just give away the first overall for say the 17th overall and a bag of pucks. I'd want either multiple high picks in return or another first next year or more depending on what it is. He's the type of player we need, and I'd hate for Boston to get him 🙂

The top picks in this draft are not immediate impact players. 

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yup. Obviously I'd want something for that down trade. You make it sound like I'd just give away the first overall for say the 17th overall and a bag of pucks. I'd want either multiple high picks in return or another first next year or more depending on what it is. He's the type of player we need, and I'd hate for Boston to get him 🙂

I think the more logical approach here is to trade up from the second round to make it happen ...

48 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think the more logical approach here is to trade up from the second round to make it happen ...

You can do that as well, but then you have to give up thing(s). Either way it depends on the details. I just don't see a sure fire star player in the top 10 and am looking at other dark horse candidates. This draft is a bit of a guessing game with the limited games and recent scouting. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

l heureux will be available in the 2nd round no need to trade down .

And he's the next Tom Wilson he's not  Comparable to marchand at all l heureux loves hitting people and starting fights marchand just runs 

You can do that as well, but then you have to give up thing(s). Either way it depends on the details. I just don't see a sure fire star player in the top 10 and am looking at other dark horse candidates. This draft is a bit of a guessing game with the limited games and recent scouting. 

If you trade down ... you also have to give up things ... the first overall pick (or whatever pick you have).

No team in the history of this league has ever thought “we should trade away a top pick because there’s a guy we love in the teens.” If you love that guy in the teens ... take them at one.

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

There are no immediate impact players. Where we are drafting the Sabres should be able to get a good prospect. The strategy should be to draft and development. That's the process that shouldn't be short-circuited.  Being smart is better than being impatient. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I see 5 players that I would project out to be very good NHL players. Top 3 forwards or top pairing defenders. 

• Like (+1) 2

Here are L’Heureux’s draft Rankings by the big sites.  Trading down from #1 for him would be an all timer. And what is his appeal? He gets suspended a lot for being stupid?  This would be like trading Eichel to NJ for Miles Wood because “we want someone who hits people.”

Ranked #22 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING 

Ranked #30 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM 

Ranked #28 by FCHOCKEY 

Ranked #26 by NEUTRAL ZONE 

Ranked #28 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY 

Ranked #30 by RECRUIT SCOUTING 

Ranked #19 by DOBBERPROSPECTS 

Ranked #21 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY 

Ranked #24 by SMAHT SCOUTING 

Ranked #11 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY 

Ranked #27 by TSN/McKenzie

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why should we trade out of a better player to get L'Heureux and what does this mean?

I now have a list of 50 names that might end up at 55 in case I missed someone (I usually miss someone, sorry) and that will get sorted and gone through after the U18 tourney and after the draft guides come out. I think I am getting 3 guides this year so that will help and we will go from there. The top 10 has already witnessed some movement. The bottom 40 is basically unranked and just the names tossed out, there's some rough rankings from 11-25 but 26-50 is just names of players I like. 

The point being this draft is not as good as 2019 or 2020. In those drafts (2019 for sure) you could go well into round 2 and find good talent. 2021 I think that really starts to fade around 20 players in versus 40 players in. 2022 is going to be better but we'll get there next year. I would expect Buffalo to be able to walk away with at least 2 good players from this draft and I hope for 3 players and a goalie when all is said and done. 

Simon Edvinsson the top 5 draft darling currently sits at 22 on my list and honestly, that feels a little high. He's not looked great in this tourney and sure the guy can skate backwards but he looses a lot of speed when he turns. 

Edited by LGR4GM

11 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

l heureux will be available in the 2nd round no need to trade down .

And he's the next Tom Wilson he's not  Comparable to marchand at all l heureux loves hitting people and starting fights marchand just runs 

Runs? Sure he does.

Tom Wilson? Fine. I disagree but if he's that I'm fine with it. Also disagree he will be there round 2. 

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

If you trade down ... you also have to give up things ... the first overall pick (or whatever pick you have).

No team in the history of this league has ever thought “we should trade away a top pick because there’s a guy we love in the teens.” If you love that guy in the teens ... take them at one.

Nah, it depends on the details. If you think you can land the player you want lower down and add extra there's nothing wrong with that. There's no Eichel/McDavidi/etc top pick this year. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

There are no immediate impact players. Where we are drafting the Sabres should be able to get a good prospect. The strategy should be to draft and development. That's the process that shouldn't be short-circuited.  Being smart is better than being impatient. 

Right, agreed. Which is why I would consider moving 1 top pick for several lower and grabbing a need type player (who I think could be the steal of the draft) and several development players to stock our prospect pool full. 

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Here are L’Heureux’s draft Rankings by the big sites.  Trading down from #1 for him would be an all timer. And what is his appeal? He gets suspended a lot for being stupid?  This would be like trading Eichel to NJ for Miles Wood because “we want someone who hits people.”

Ranked #22 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING 

Ranked #30 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM 

Ranked #28 by FCHOCKEY 

Ranked #26 by NEUTRAL ZONE 

Ranked #28 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY 

Ranked #30 by RECRUIT SCOUTING 

Ranked #19 by DOBBERPROSPECTS 

Ranked #21 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY 

Ranked #24 by SMAHT SCOUTING 

Ranked #11 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY 

Ranked #27 by TSN/McKenzie

Marchand was drafted 71st overall. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I see 5 players that I would project out to be very good NHL players. Top 3 forwards or top pairing defenders. 

Guenther, Beniers, Eklund, Lysell, Power, Hughes, Wallstadt and Clarke are the guys I view to have star potential but I’d also venture a guess that at least a couple outside of that group or outside of any group we come up with end up as stars, as well. But I guess this also depends on what you define as a star because I’d give prime Phil Kessel that moniker.

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Right, agreed. Which is why I would consider moving 1 top pick for several lower and grabbing a need type player (who I think could be the steal of the draft) and several development players to stock our prospect pool full. 

Why do you think L'heureux will be the steal of the draft? What about the player makes you think that?

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Marchand was drafted 71st overall. 

And Boston didn’t trade down from #1 to draft him because they didn’t know he would be the player he turned out to be.  I have no problem with you liking the player but trading down from 1 for him is asinine.  Move the 2nd and a player to move up and get him.

38 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

With the higher pick we are more likely to come away with a top tier prospect. Moving down for a player that you consider a steal lessens the chances for getting the better prospect. If the player that you consider is the steal of the draft then why isn't he ranked higher by scouts that follow the prospects\? I'm not against using our extra picks to trade up for a prospect that we are interested after the first pick. But I'm not going to get cute and try to out-smart everyone else only to end up out-smarting oneself. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With the higher pick we are more likely to come away with a top tier prospect. Moving down for a player that you consider a steal lessens the chances for getting the better prospect. If the player that you consider is the steal of the draft then why isn't he ranked higher by scouts that follow the prospects\? I'm not against using our extra picks to trade up for a prospect that we are interested after the first pick. But I'm not going to get cute and try to out-smart everyone else only to end up out-smarting oneself. 

I call this the Sensyhyn-Barzal paradox. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Runs? Sure he does.

Tom Wilson? Fine. I disagree but if he's that I'm fine with it. Also disagree he will be there round 2. 

l heureux is one of my favorite  sleepers but he has major problems he loves pissing people off and  loves  Going into a fight even if he knows hes gonna get the ***** kicked out of him

• Like (+1) 1

I like L'Heureux and if you see him slip in the first, trade back in to get him but this isn't the NFL draft. I think we always have to remind ppl of that. There is almost NO movement in the first round once it begins. For example in 2020 I don't think there was a single first round pick traded after the draft started and maybe not after the trade deadline. There isn't a lot of moving up and down and all around like the NFL draft. In the 2nd you can do it a little more as there is some logic in getting an extra 4th to move from 36 to 42. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.