Hockey hot takes

drnkirishone

42 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Someone already mentioned this in another thread, but I think it belongs here too:  Mike Milbury is pretty annoying as a studio guy, but very good as a game color commentator.

I don’t want to consider this.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I want to hear from Team I Hate Robin Lehner.

Present and accounted for. 

To be clear:  I didn't hate him, in the sense that I don't hate anyone in his 20s whom I never met and who hasn't done anything horrible.  But he was a bad goalie here.  I'm glad he's got it together now.

To the OP -- yes, indeed:

Armia

Byron

McNabb

Lehner

Grant

Compher

Scandella

Sekera

Gerbe

Myers

Zadorov

Bogo

Fedun

(Intentionally omitted:  Nylander, ROR)

Get rid of the safety nets, catching errant pucks was such a fun part of hockey, now everyone is worried about lawsuits. 

Let the goalie play the Puck wherever he wants, the trapezoid is an abomination to the sport, some of the most exciting goals happened from goalies f+king up outside of the crease. 

I miss touch icing, fully understanding that the current wayis much safer. The race to touch the puck first was awesome. 

I have no need to see/hear a national anthem before a sporting event, unless it's the super bowl or equivalent, or one of those cool international games like in Sweden. 

I hate the shootout ending the game, I like 3 on 3 for what it is, but I'm not a huge fan of the current format. 

Bring back party in the plaza, even if we suck, get the fans all liquored up and the scoreboard won't matter. 

Find a way for cell phone/wifi service in the arena to magically not work, I'm sick of seeing the tween in front of me playing fortnite on his iPad at the hockey game. It all just adds to the general disinterest along with the lack of good hockey. 

For the love of God, no more floss can. 

Let me clear my throat, terrible, awful.... Bring back more organ, sabres dance and less terrible choices. 

Having a swat team standing out front of the arena for every game doesn't inspire safety, not one bit, it's creepy and weird. I think we're living in an Orwell book. 

I'm glad the 2 line pass is a thing of the past. 

Challenges must be clear and determined within 30 seconds or the call on the ice must stand. 

F Boston, F Toronto, F bettman 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Get rid of the safety nets, catching errant pucks was such a fun part of hockey, now everyone is worried about lawsuits. 

Let the goalie play the Puck wherever he wants, the trapezoid is an abomination to the sport, some of the most exciting goals happened from goalies f+king up outside of the crease. 

I miss touch icing, fully understanding that the current wayis much safer. The race to touch the puck first was awesome. 

I have no need to see/hear a national anthem before a sporting event, unless it's the super bowl or equivalent, or one of those cool international games like in Sweden. 

I hate the shootout ending the game, I like 3 on 3 for what it is, but I'm not a huge fan of the current format. 

Bring back party in the plaza, even if we suck, get the fans all liquored up and the scoreboard won't matter. 

Find a way for cell phone/wifi service in the arena to magically not work, I'm sick of seeing the tween in front of me playing fortnite on his iPad at the hockey game. It all just adds to the general disinterest along with the lack of good hockey. 

For the love of God, no more floss can. 

Let me clear my throat, terrible, awful.... Bring back more organ, sabres dance and less terrible choices. 

Having a swat team standing out front of the arena for every game doesn't inspire safety, not one bit, it's creepy and weird. I think we're living in an Orwell book. 

I'm glad the 2 line pass is a thing of the past. 

Challenges must be clear and determined within 30 seconds or the call on the ice must stand. 

F Boston, F Toronto, F bettman 

Awesome!  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

Apparently I am still missing something.  That's what happens when you haven't seen a live game in almost a decade.

Oh yeah, all damn game it's just kids flossing on the jumbotron, they even have a Floss cam, which I've seen every single game and sometimes, multiple times a game. 

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

I want to hear from Team I Hate Robin Lehner.

The Robin Lehner scenario in Buffalo was a sad and complicated human situation. The Sabre organization was very supportive and did the right thing in getting him help to address his mental health problems. Even after he was not associated with the team the former GM kept in touch. Not trying to be dramatic but it isn't an exaggeration to believe that the organization may have saved his life by helping him get the medical attention that he needed.  

From a hockey standpoint the Lehner saga demonstrates how much this organization is snake bitten. If we would have gotten the level of goaltending that Lehner played at with the Islanders, Blackhawks and Golden Knights this season the Sabres probably would be participating in the playoffs this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Robin Lehner scenario in Buffalo was a sad and complicated human situation. The Sabre organization was very supportive and did the right thing in getting him help to address his mental health problems. Even after he was not associated with the team the former GM kept in touch. Not trying to be dramatic but it isn't an exaggeration to believe that the organization may have saved his life by helping him get the medical attention that he needed.  

From a hockey standpoint the Lehner saga demonstrates how much this organization is snake bitten. If we would have gotten the level of goaltending that Lehner played at with the Islanders, Blackhawks and Golden Knights this season the Sabres probably would be participating in the playoffs this year. 

You weren’t around here for the start of Lehner’s Buffalo career when he regularly got pummelled after every 3-2 Sabre loss where they were outshot 37-24.

Robin struggled as his demons caught up to him in his last year in Buffalo but he otherwise played quite well for a bad team, and had the numbers to back it up.

People couldn’t get past how terrible he was in shootouts and how we traded a first-rounder to get him.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

You weren’t around here for the start of Lehner’s Buffalo career when he regularly got pummelled after every 3-2 Sabre loss where they were outshot 37-24.

Robin struggled as his demons caught up to him in his last year in Buffalo but he otherwise played quite well for a bad team, and had the numbers to back it up.

People couldn’t get past how terrible he was in shootouts and how we traded a first-rounder to get him.

Lehner used to get frustrated after losses. At first in post game interviews he would discretely criticize the play in front of him and then more explicitly. He was right! The players in front of him were not playing with discipline/intelligence or fulfilling their responsibilities. To be blunt Risto was a dumb player who would constantly be sucked into chasing the puck behind the net and leaving the front of the net uncovered. The reality is that the team wasn't talented enough and the blue line unit was inadequate. 

I was a persistent and harsh critic of Murray giving up a first round pick for him because I thought that it was a too high a cost for a player whose team wanted to move him because it had plenty of depth at that position. With hindsight I have a tad softened my position recognizing that his current level of play would have made a difference in making the playoffs this season. (My opinion.)

Unless there is an addition at the goaltending position (And I don't think there will be.) the player who will make the biggest difference between success and continued mediocrity will be Ullmark. (Again, my opinion.)

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Oh yeah, all damn game it's just kids flossing on the jumbotron, they even have a Floss cam, which I've seen every single game and sometimes, multiple times a game. 

I guess I am an old man.  I have no idea what flossing is.  If the gif you posted is representative of flossing, WTF did that name come from?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.