Scouting Department Returning to Video?

WildCard

All the people who like to claim they can draft better than this team has, what exactly are those people using?

Quite honestly, I think it's a model that can work in this day and age.  You don't clear out the department completely, but you can certainly get by with less bodies out there than you could 20 or so years ago.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

All the people who like to claim they can draft better than this team has, what exactly are those people using?

Quite honestly, I think it's a model that can work in this day and age.  You don't clear out the department completely, but you can certainly get by with less bodies out there than you could 20 or so years ago.

20/20 hindsight.

28 minutes ago, shrader said:

Forgive me for using Schopp as a reference, but how much different is a professional scouting ranking from a teams’ ranking? And if you averaged all of those in-house team professionals, how close would you get to the scouting ranking? 

I think it has been clear for years that too much is placed on the evaluator and not enough placed on the individual being chosen.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Forgive me for using Schopp as a reference, but how much different is a professional scouting ranking from a teams’ ranking? And if you averaged all of those in-house team professionals, how close would you get to the scouting ranking? 

I think it has been clear for years that too much is placed on the evaluator and not enough placed on the individual being chosen.

That and we also don't factor in the staff who winds up developing these players.  I've really started to lean much more in that direction in recent years.  Yes, player talent/ability obviously plays a role, but I think the developmental staff is a more important role.

This has been a swinging pendulum over the years.

Need more scouts to find more value in picks -> Don't actualize value from picks -> Reduce scouting staff/increase technology usage to increase time- and cost- efficiency of scouting -> Don't actualize value from picks

Repeat.

There are obviously other issues in addition to the scouting.

It was an interesting tidbit to come out of the conference.

And it's for sure an interesting irony that, in February 2011, Pegula was brash in talking about how he'd basically spend without limit, and nowadays is talking about being lean and efficient.

But it doesn't have anything to do with the energy markets tanking - be assured of that.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

And it's for sure an interesting irony that, in February 2011, Pegula was brash in talking about how he'd basically spend without limit, and nowadays is talking about being lean and efficient.

But it doesn't have anything to do with the energy markets tanking - be assured of that.

A lot has transpired in those nine years. I don’t hold anything said in 2011 against someone who‘s life is completely different today. 

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Of course, Muckler with an open checkbook was a disaster & Muckler with a tight budget brought in the foundation that led to a cup run in '99.  (Lucking into the best goalie of all time helped, but he was there in the big bucks era as well and Muckler flat out couldn't see what he had.)

Hoping it works, but not hopeful.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

A lot has transpired in those nine years. I don’t hold anything said in 2011 against someone who‘s life is completely different today. 

A lot, indeed. Brent crude trading for ~$100 per barrel in February 2011; now trading at $40 or less.

I'm not holding it against him. I'm just finding it ironic.

Just now, Taro T said:

Of course, Muckler with an open checkbook was a disaster & Muckler with a tight budget brought in the foundation that led to a cup run in '99.  (Lucking into the best goalie of all time helped, but he was there in the big bucks era as well and Muckler flat out couldn't see what he had.)

I'm intrigued by the idea that a team operating more on the cheap can be more efficient, smarter. Why the hell not? I mean - the Canes are a nice looking team. They aren't swimming in cash.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

A lot, indeed. Brent crude trading for ~$100 per barrel in February 2011; now trading at $40 or less.

I think owning the Bills and their development interests are the major players here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm intrigued by the idea that a team operating more on the cheap can be more efficient, smarter. Why the hell not? I mean - the Canes are a nice looking team. They aren't swimming in cash.

It can be.  And Waddell shows today (and Muckler back in the day showed) that even an idiot can be successful on a tight budget provided he has something that other people don't.  Waddell has good scouts & arguably the best analytics department in hockey.  Muckler had Hasek & a very good scouting staff.  The Sabres were consistently towards the top of the rankings for scouting departments in the late '80's/'90's.

Adams has Eichel & Dahlin.  What will that other piece(s) be that he needs to strike gold & can he be bright enough to bring it in & also to trust it?

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think owning the Bills and their development interests are the major players here.

And the absolute collapse of the industry where the Pegulas are still heavily invested (and whence they still derive (or at least used to derive) significant liquidity) is not?

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

And the absolute collapse of the industry where the Pegulas are still heavily invested (and whence they still derive (or at least used to derive) significant liquidity) is not?

I have yet to see proof that this is the case. My understanding is that they have a small concern left over, but many many many years ago they basically cashed out $5 billion in a sale of their holdings.

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Uh huh

Just now, SDS said:

I have yet to see proof that this is the case. My understanding is that they have a small concern left over, but many many many years ago they basically cashed out $5 billion in a sale of their holdings.

What are their revenue streams today? 

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

homer simpson GIF

Poke around a bit on JKLM Energy. Terry's still drilling and fracking. Bread and butter source of money - steady cash flows. Well, formerly.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t know what this means. I have read lots of people speculating about this, but I have yet to see some sort of research article that lays this all out.

From 2015-2018, JKLM racked up $500,000 in penalties for violating Pennsylvania environmental laws.

https://www.investigativepost.org/2018/05/08/pegula-back-fracking-and-violating-regulations/

$500,000 in penalties can be extrapolated to ... what in gross revenues? I have some idea of it. Again, that's a nice, steady stream of available cash.

31 minutes ago, SDS said:

JKLM Energy has at least 120,000 acres of land in the Marcellus Shale fields in PA and paid ~$1.8MM in unconventional well impact fees in 2018 on 47 producing wells.  Can't find an estimate of what percentage of revenues those fees (taxes) are.  But they would still seem to have a sizable chunk of their business in the energy sector.

My gut guess is that $1-2B of their net worth is in energy.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I suppose we can now agree that Liger is at least as well qualified as whatever scouting staff they have.  Youtube ain't hard to operate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.