Sign in to follow this  
jsb

GDT 2/26/20 Sabres at Colorado 8pm ET, NBCSN and WGR550

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's true. Our PK is terrible. Has been all year. Two main reasons, we don't win face offs and we cannot clear or control the front of the net at any time, and even worse a man down. Part of this is a downside to the focus on puck moving D men. We have to get better at this for sure. 

Yup, win some more draws in our zone, and we’re not hemmed in from the start of the play.

Edited by Kristian
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

He's 1 goal away from a $212k bonus.  Once he finally gets #20 and stops gripping the stick too tight, he'll be well on his way to nearly 30.  Would be much more upset with him if he wasn't getting chances or if he was one of the guys that lost his man on the 3rd goal.  He is, and he wasn't.  He's fine.  Just needs that next goal.

Eichel hasn't taken a faceoff since his maintenance day.  We going to find out when the season ends that he's been playing with bruised / cracked ribs or a minor shoulder injury?

he was wincing several times.... I think a rib injury too

NINE ***** YEARS OF THIS *****. The skill level between that Colorado team and us is as deep as the one between the Kansas City Chiefs and the University of Kansas. I'm not in the mood to hand out Miz Participation Awards, I'm in the mood to see the guy who has left us with this trash roster and a virtually barren prospect pool pay the price for his malfeasance he deserves to pay. Seriously I was in Rochester tonight and all I could think is these are almost all quadruple A players who aren't going to amount to anything in terms of becoming NHL players.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

sad face GIF

Going to be rough we need a lot of wins against good teams.   Didn't expect a win here though.

They played very well, just didn't capitalize on the scoring opportunities. If they continue this they should have a chance.

But yea, tough schedule.

At least they turned their slide around this year, but man - November/December has been terrible for this franchise for as long as I can remember ☹️

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's true. Our PK is terrible. Has been all year. Two main reasons, we don't win face offs and we cannot clear or control the front of the net at any time, and even worse a man down. Part of this is a downside to the focus on puck moving D men. We have to get better at this for sure. 

First faceoffs have nothing to do with our pk being bad. 

Second, we have the worst PK in the league and part of the reason is because we put Risto and McCabe out there and they simply are not that good. The 2nd bolded is laughable to me because that isn't what you see. You do not see guys parking in front and magical tips and screens. You see the defense (risto) breaking down and Hutton tossing out huge rebounds. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

First faceoffs have nothing to do with our pk being bad. 

Second, we have the worst PK in the league and part of the reason is because we put Risto and McCabe out there and they simply are not that good. The 2nd bolded is laughable to me because that isn't what you see. You do not see guys parking in front and magical tips and screens. You see the defense (risto) breaking down and Hutton tossing out huge rebounds. 

I’m convinced that you have no idea what it means to be a defender in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m convinced that you have no idea what it means to be a defender in the NHL.

Apparently all it means is cross checking people in front of the net and hitting things. Risto is a bad defender. There is 6 years worth of games to back this up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Apparently all it means is cross checking people in front of the net and hitting things. Risto is a bad defender. There is 6 years worth of games to back this up. 

Would you rather have Pilut in there instead of Risto?

Edited by SwampD

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Would you rather have Pilut in there instead of Risto?

I would rather have just about anyone than Risto. A guy who notoriously loses his coverage and makes poor reads. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I remember a time when everyone thought Bogosian was good for the same reasons. Then we, literally, couldn't give him away

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I would rather have just about anyone than Risto. A guy who notoriously loses his coverage and makes poor reads. 

If that is a yes to my question, then I don’t think you know what it means to be a defender in the NHL.

The problem with the Sabres is not, nor has it ever been, our defense. The problem with the Sabres is they just don’t score. Period.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

If that is a yes to my question, then I don’t think you know what it means to be a defender in the NHL.

The problem with the Sabres is not, nor has it ever been, our defense. The problem with the Sabres is they just don’t score. Period.

It was our defense for years when we got Risto. We were drafting/trading for d-men left and right. It 100% was our problem

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It was our defense for years when we got Risto. We were drafting/trading for d-men left and right. It 100% was our problem

This is how I remember it.

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Our world class physical defenders. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

This is how I remember it.

I’ll add the stipulation “post tank”.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

K

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’ll add the stipulation “post tank”.

Even post tank. Montour, Miller, Pilut, Antipin, Ryan Johnson, Guhle...we've been trying to get a good defensive core together since Campbell was here. I think we finally have one, but I don't particularly think Risto is the key to that. Put him on the 2nd pair I don't really care and McCabe on the 3rd

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

LOL. That goal wasn't a breakdown, it was a power play with Nathan MacKinnon doing Nathan MacKinnon things.

Our defenders shut out one of the league's best attacks 5-on-5 last night.

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

LOL. That goal wasn't a breakdown, it was a power play with Nathan MacKinnon doing Nathan MacKinnon things.

Our defenders shut out one of the league's best attacks 5-on-5 last night.

So you think Risto is good at defense? 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

So you think Risto is good at defense? 

I think you're frustrated because the Sabres aren't good enough, venting on one of your favourite whipping boys and you chose a bad example.

• Like (+1) 2