Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'd still prefer making a move with a Florida team versus sending Risto to the peg. 

Me too, since any deal with Winnipeg isn't solving our center problem. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if we were to get a better hockey player elsewhere than Ehlers (if that would be the deal). S

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Just based on the assets he’d likely return? 

Yeah I like the players available at several tiers of talent (stuff we'd have to add to Risto to get, down to stuff we'd need several of to send Risto) than I do on Winnipeg. I would be okay with an Ehlers trade but it's not my favorite idea, and there's like one other combo of Jets forwards that's realistic and that I'd be interested in 

• Like (+1) 1

I would be happy with Roslovic and Perrault as a Ristolainen return. Perrault has two years left and would hold down 3C. Roslovic is a potential 2C that can switch to 2/3RW if Mittelstadt beats him out. Allows the coach to rotate Mittelstadt out of center if he’s struggling and not miss a beat.  Allows Rodrigues to play wing and would have our forward depth be pretty darn solid, with the only weakness of 2C having Mittelstadt, Roslovic, and Cozens all ready for it. 

Added bonus if we can sign Gardiner as well, pushing McCabe to 7D when Pilut returns. 

59 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Would you take an equivalent to that package for Eichel? 

I didn’t think Scheifele was thought of as on the same level as Eichel in most circles. I always viewed him as a great player but a step below Eichel. ?‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I didn’t think Scheifele was thought of as on the same level as Eichel in most circles. I always viewed him as a great player but a step below Eichel. ?‍♂️

I expect 26 year old Eichel to be clearly better than 26 year old Scheifele, but I think it's a tough argument to say there's much separation between them right now. And Scheifele is making almost $4M less for the next 5 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Winnipeg rumor is interesting, Roslovic, although a RW'er, is really underwhelming as a return for Risto. Perreault at just over 4 mil a season for the next 2 years is definitely not what I believe the team needs.

Ehlers is very interesting as a player, but can he play RW? If so, Reinhart and Ehlers in the top 6 RW depth can be interesting.

I'd still like a 2C in return for a Risto trade, even if it means a package.

The Winnipeg rumor could totally be part of a three-way trade and that would be awesome to see.

I think, in fact, there's a bit of a lack of that kind of creative thinking in this thread.  Unless I missed it..?  If so, send me my lumps, I am willing to take them.  Let's go, smart, creative Sabres obsessives..what's a good three-way trade to daydream about?

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

If you get a quality asset, say Ehlers, you can flip him or other assets for a 2C.

I know the ideal move is Risto for a 2C but there could be a bunch of dominos needing to fall.

27 minutes ago, ... said:

The Winnipeg rumor could totally be part of a three-way trade and that would be awesome to see.

I think, in fact, there's a bit of a lack of that kind of creative thinking among NHL GMs.  Unless I missed it..?  If so, send me my lumps, I am willing to take them.  Let's go, smart, creative Sabres obsessives..what's a good three-way trade to daydream about?

FTFY.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ... said:

I think, in fact, there's a bit of a lack of that kind of creative thinking in this thread.  Unless I missed it..?  If so, send me my lumps, I am willing to take them.  Let's go, smart, creative Sabres obsessives..what's a good three-way trade to daydream about?

Risto to Jets

Ehlers to Vegas

Stastny to Sabres

May have to throw in a pick(to Vegas?)

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Risto to Jets

Ehlers to Vegas

Stastny to Sabres

May have to throw in a pick(to Vegas?)

Trading Risto for Stastny doesn’t seem like the best value for him. 

Stastny does fill in for the 2C Slot, but he is on the wrong side of 30 and only has two years remaining on his deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

FTFY.

No no, we don't know that yet.  We've see three-ways happen over the years.  I'm referring strictly to the trades imagined/suggested here in this thread.  Again, unless I'm wrong, I think we've been neglecting the possibility here.  And, again, if I'm wrong, happy to be corrected.  Be that as it may, if you add a third partner to these trade deals we've (well, some of us) have been throwing down here, we might actually wind up with a 2C, rather than another winger, for Risto.

Just now, Brawndo said:

Trading Risto for Stastny doesn’t seem like the best value for him. 

Stastny does fill in for the 2C Slot, but he is on the wrong side of 30 and only has two years remaining on his deal. 

You're probably right, I didn't realize he was that old, my how time flies. I tried, something similar would likely work, just have to find the right partners and players.

1 hour ago, ... said:

I posted this 11 days ago in the Risto trade post...

So WPG needs defense, EDM needs wingers, BUF needs a 2C.

Three team trade that benefits each team.

WPG trades Ehlers and Roslovic to EDM.

WPG trades Lowry to BUF.

EDM trades RNH to BUF.

EDM trades Puljujarvi to WPG.

BUF trades Risto and Larsson to WPG.

BUF trades Sheary to EDM.

How it looks for each team.

WPG trades Ehlers, Roslovic, and Lowry for Risto, Larsson, and Puljujarvi.  Gains 4.5 million in cap space. Moves out Roslovic for Puljujarvi. Puljujarvi reuninted with Laine. Change of scenery would help both.

EDM trades RNH and Puljujarvi for Ehlers, Sheary, and Roslovic. Gets three wingers to help bolster top nine and help for McDavid and Draisaitl.

BUF trades Risto, Larsson, and Sheary for RNH and Lowry.  Gets true 2c and 4c.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I know most are gung ho about trading Ristolainen but I think if Kreuger really is the coach who plays to the players skill set than he can get Ristolainen headed in the right direction. The guy has been on some really bad defensive teams and it looks like he's picked up some bad habits along the way all of which I think can be corrected with solid coaching, I like this defense much better with Ristolainen in the lineup. Do we really need a drastic move for a 2nd line C? I've stated this before and it seems to be rumored a bunch of times but what about a lesser trade for a guy like Cody Eakin of the Vegas Golden Knights, he put up 40+ points as the 3rd line C of an expansion team last season. If the hope is to have Middlestadt develop for another year then this trade is perfect since Eakins contract expires at the end of the season and if he pans out and Middlestadt is ready we can resign Eakin as our 3rd line C and have Middlestadt take the necessary leap. Of course I'd love RNH on the Sabres team but I don't think it's very feasible at this point imo.

54 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I know most are gung ho about trading Ristolainen but I think if Kreuger really is the coach who plays to the players skill set than he can get Ristolainen headed in the right direction. The guy has been on some really bad defensive teams and it looks like he's picked up some bad habits along the way all of which I think can be corrected with solid coaching, I like this defense much better with Ristolainen in the lineup. Do we really need a drastic move for a 2nd line C? I've stated this before and it seems to be rumored a bunch of times but what about a lesser trade for a guy like Cody Eakin of the Vegas Golden Knights, he put up 40+ points as the 3rd line C of an expansion team last season. If the hope is to have Middlestadt develop for another year then this trade is perfect since Eakins contract expires at the end of the season and if he pans out and Middlestadt is ready we can resign Eakin as our 3rd line C and have Middlestadt take the necessary leap. Of course I'd love RNH on the Sabres team but I don't think it's very feasible at this point imo.

I am more with you on this... I want to see what Kreuger can do with these guys including Risto.  I am ok if he is still here if Botts cannot get enough value for him.  I to am luke warm about trading him unless for a kings ransom.  We will see since this is all speculation.  Add a guy like Eakin and if the center position doesn't work out go searching around the trade deadline and draft another one next year...  I am betting teams will need D next year mid season and the Sabres have some pieces.  It will also give Kreuger a better idea in what he has in Pilut and Bogo as well as some of the young guys.  Still 2C is such a question mark, I understand why folks feel the way they do because Risto is the only guy with enough value to get a 2C coming back.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I am more with you on this... I want to see what Kreuger can do with these guys including Risto.  I am ok if he is still here if Botts cannot get enough value for him.  I to am luke warm about trading him unless for a kings ransom.  We will see since this is all speculation.  Add a guy like Eakin and if the center position doesn't work out go searching around the trade deadline and draft another one next year...  I am betting teams will need D next year mid season and the Sabres have some pieces.  It will also give Kreuger a better idea in what he has in Pilut and Bogo as well as some of the young guys.  Still 2C is such a question mark, I understand why folks feel the way they do because Risto is the only guy with enough value to get a 2C coming back.

The problem you have this is Botterill has already made the moves on the RHD position to replace Risto.

When you combine that with the post July 1st reports of Buffalo pursuing Gardiner and it becomes a bit obvious that Botterill and staff have A.) Identified the defense as a major issue, and B.) commenced a rebuild on said defense in an effort to correct the situation.

This is more than just "roster surgery", imo. This is an all out major organ transplant surgery.

19 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

The problem you have this is Botterill has already made the moves on the RHD position to replace Risto.

When you combine that with the post July 1st reports of Buffalo pursuing Gardiner and it becomes a bit obvious that Botterill and staff have A.) Identified the defense as a major issue, and B.) commenced a rebuild on said defense in an effort to correct the situation.

This is more than just "roster surgery", imo. This is an all out major organ transplant surgery.

Which is still ... surgery ?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.