GDT Detroit at Buffalo 2/6/20 7pm NBCSN, WGR 550

Brawndo

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Brandon Montour may be the most overrated Sabre minus Risto (who most have figured out is a fraud) in a long time.  He doesn't look like an NHL defenseman,  At all.  

Been saying this since he got here. Kadri was right, Montour is sh*t.

As for this game as a whole, I simply have no words.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Here's the replay of the 2nd goal for anyone that missed it. https://www.nhl.com/video/larkins-second-goal-of-the-game/t-312106728/c-5218754

Im sure Sam was gassed at the end there & probably even thought time would expire. And i wouldnt say Sam was the reason that led to that goal. For me i think Risto shouldve stepped up at the blue line to prevent that play from ever happening in the 1st place... especially since time was running down in the period. It was as if he was a deer caught in headlights & wasn't sure of what to do, and that little bit of hesitation was all it took for Detroit to capitalize on it. But even still, it did look like Sam couldve tried to disrupt the play coming back into his zone. Even just tapping him with the stick couldve thrown off the shot.

Think the guys are just frustrated at this point. Probably best Sam didnt say anything... whats it even matter at this point.

28 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

This right here in the bolded. I don't know what fans are expecting this off season, but no serious help is in route without a new standard from the ownership/management/coaching team that includes complete accountability, from top to bottom whereby if you don't perform, your ass is gone, it's that simple.

Culture!

Ok.  But we don’t have that kind of coach or GM.  

We are waiting for all JBots stars to align.  After X years all the prospects will be stars and Rochester will be a great pipeline.  Just like Pittsburgh right?   

Meanwhile, other teams make moves to improve rapidly.  Colorado’s entire 2nd line is made up of free agents signed last summer.  We could not find even one top 6 forward last summer.  Johansson is not it.   Who knows what Olofsson is without Eichel.  Look at the fall of Skinner, a proven scorer and competitor.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

Here's the replay of the 2nd goal for anyone that missed it. https://www.nhl.com/video/larkins-second-goal-of-the-game/t-312106728/c-5218754

Im sure Sam was gassed at the end there & probably even thought time would expire. And i wouldnt say Sam was the reason that led to that goal. For me i think Risto shouldve stepped up at the blue line to prevent that play from ever happening in the 1st place... especially since time was running down in the period. It was as if he was a deer caught in headlights & wasn't sure of what to do, and that little bit of hesitation was all it took for Detroit to capitalize on it. But even still, it did look like Sam couldve tried to disrupt the play coming back into his zone. Even just tapping him with the stick couldve thrown off the shot.

Think the guys are just frustrated at this point. Probably best Sam didnt say anything... whats it even matter at this point.

Risto could have tried to disrupt the puck carrier (knowing that time was running out) BUT SAMMY QUIT ON THE PLAY, no question, again knowing that time was running out he needed to skate hard until the buzzer, a few extra seconds wouldn't have killed him. And you are right, if he keeps skating hard he may have disrupted Larkin 

As far as Sam not saying anything...what would his defense to the statement have been? I was tired? 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I ***** hate Paul Hamilton. He is complete trash.

And I used to like him.

LOL.  Paul Hamilton wasn't there.

Do you mean Mike Harrington?  The guy who asked the back check question?

Most seem to hate him as well.  Maybe that's you hated.

?

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Kruppstahl said:

LOL.  Paul Hamilton wasn't there.

Do you mean Mike Harrington?  The guy who asked the back check question?

Most seem to hate him as well.  Maybe that's you hated.

?

Was it Mike? If so, yes. A BS question. 

He even prefaces it by saying he was at the end of his shift. Just dumb.

16 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

Sam floated on the back check as he often does.  He quit skating and might have been able to do something, especially if a save had been made but a rebound coughed up.

He didn't know what would happen when he quit skating. It was a bad play and I'm glad Harrington drew attention to it.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Was it Mike? If so, yes. A BS question. 

He even prefaces it by saying he was at the end of his shift. Just dumb.

Reinhart quit skating a couple strides early and not because he was "gassed." 

It was more because he is a floater.  A really talented floater.

Not sure why folks in Sabreland hate Harrington.  He is the least Buffalo aspect to the Buffalo media and the only guy who holds players/organization to any kind of standard whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

No way he catches Larkin. It looks bad, but he was a full two strides behind with two strides left for Larkin to go. 

Not a question of catching Larkin.  A question of getting back as hard as he can until the play is over.

What if there's a fat rebound?  He could easily have contributed to the play but chose to quit skating 2 or 3 strides early.

That's the entire point.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

No way he catches Larkin. It looks bad, but he was a full two strides behind with two strides left for Larkin to go. 

Watch the whole play from the time he shoots the puck....He make a weak wide backward circle "admiring" his failed shot and by the time it matters getting back into the play he can't catch Larkin. For any matter, YOU DON"T QUIT because you think you can't catch the guy because you never know what might happen. The guy you are chasing could stumble. mishandle the puck etc. IT'S THE EFFORT THAT"S THE ISSUE not whether Sam could have actually caught him 

Edited by KC Scouts
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, MillerVaive said:

Yes Reinhart was gassed.  But he quit skating on the play.  He absolutely quit working. I’m not sure he could have done much anyway but he did nothing to try to disturb Larkin.    Sure Risto gave up the blue line and could have played it better but #23 just plain stopped working.  He does that lazy stuff much more than folks here like to admit.  He he also guilty of skating by while a teammate is getting worked over and he  just keeps on going.

I thought that most of the time  he was terrible on the 3v3 tonight too.   He does not play hard enough to earn all of the Eichel minutes.    He acts like he wants out.  

Risto is back to being bad Risto.  Ever since the break, good Risto went back to Finland and bad Risto is back.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

Reinhart was caught being LAZY, Like many others on this team, AND HE SHOULD be called out on it because he is going to want the big bucks next contract. Blaming him for the goal is not hockey ignorance, he was a slug on that play from the time he shot the puck

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

Watch the whole play from the time he shoots the puck....He make a weak wide backward circle "admiring" his failed shot and by the time it matters getting back into the play he can't catch Larkin. For any matter, YOU DON"T QUIT because you think you can't catch the guy because you never know what might happen. The guy you are chasing could stumble. mishandle the puck etc. IT'S THE EFFORT THART"S THE ISSUE not whether Sam could have actually caught him 

It’s not like anyone on here would’ve given him brownie points for trying harder when Larkin would’ve still scored. 

The people above him don’t care so why should he?

Sam was at the end of a 1:40 shift. Larkin is perhaps the fastest skater in the conference.

i was there! I thought Skinner was the best forward all game, if he plays like that offensively he'll be back on the goal scoring track. Phil often didn't use him in OT either, I think Skinner is -10000000 in OT since 3v3 began

Pilut's poise with the puck stood out in the first two periods when most of our other guys had the yips in their hands.

Eichel's legs were made of lead right from the opening draw, he had no burst all game. Looked like he just got done setting a squat PR before each shift. We have burned him and Risto out by February like usual, which is crazy because they're legitimately two of the most in-shape players in the league.

The atmosphere was ugly all game. Didn't think the first period boos were called for, the Sabres had the flow of the game and just weren't burying chances. If this was Hutton in goal we'd have put the game on him probably, with Linus it's a 4-2 win. Yeah yeah, the context obv plays a role, but that period in November would have elicited zero boos

Fans were misbehaving on the Jumbotron all night. Cute eight year old dancing, catches the camera? Just kidding, double bird for five full seconds. Floss dance from another child? Nah, grotesque sexual humping instead. The fans get an F for this performance. I guess I understand that frustration adds up, but a single game is never as good or bad as it feels, and this team has been playing in games like this for three months, and was set up for this kind of night and stretch right from "we like our team." These players were doomed from the start

Jason really thinks that tweaking "chemistry standpoints" will make this roster playoff competitive. He told us this on Tuesday.

Even with our roster imbalance, scandella brought us far more this year than Frolik has. The guy is f r i e d and beyond useless if the puck is anywhere near him. My jaw dropped to the floor when he lost a race for a loose puck that he had a 15 foot head start on in the first period.

There exist reasonable off-season moves that will couple with royal blue to leave this era in the dustbin starting this October. If Jason is still around I don't think we will see them. 

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, SDS said:

He was two strides behind, all the reason to keep skating and working, the puck hits a rut and he gains a stride and can lean into Larkin.  Instead he just quit and left the rookie to handle it   

Great leadership, I dont think I can do it so I won’t try.  Yup, try that in Boston, or St Louis, the coach will understand. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He was two strides behind, all the reason to keep skating and working, the puck hits a rut and he gains a stride and can lean into Larkin.  Instead he just quit and left the rookie to handle it   

Great leadership, I dont think I can do it so I won’t try.  Yup, try that in Boston, or St Louis, the coach will understand. 

I watched Marchand dog it in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, leading directly to the Blues second goal.

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I watched Marchand dog it in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, leading directly to the Blues second goal.

When Reinhart, or any Sabre,  gets to a game 7 of a Cup final let me know.   

I don’t  know what you saw in the SC game but I do recall Marchand was very upset about his Game 7, and he didn’t need a reporter to ask him if he should be.   

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Ok.  But we don’t have that kind of coach or GM.  

We are waiting for all JBots stars to align.  After X years all the prospects will be stars and Rochester will be a great pipeline.  Just like Pittsburgh right?   

Meanwhile, other teams make moves to improve rapidly.  Colorado’s entire 2nd line is made up of free agents signed last summer.  We could not find even one top 6 forward last summer.  Johansson is not it.   Who knows what Olofsson is without Eichel.  Look at the fall of Skinner, a proven scorer and competitor.  

Burokovsky and Kadri were trades.  Nichushkin was a UFA and a nice reclamation project.  He’s a good example of a player surrounded with great talent and asked to play a 4th or 3rd line role can play without pressure and get elevated to the second.   Whether it’s a trade or UFA the point remains that they made moves and have improved their standing. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KC Scouts said:

I hate to ignite the Reinhart "Should he stay or should he go" debate...but his effort just illustrates my belief that he is not worth it (7 million or more). He's not my kind of player.

Don't give me "he was tired" on the play.....if you are tired GET OFF THE ICE, If not  SKATE HARD

He didn't even skate, he pulled up at the top of the circles.   Just inexcusable.   

And why is Risto trying to stick check Fabbri when Larkin is about to go backhand shelf?

If you watch the replay you hear somebody yell "keep movin!!" right after the goal is scored.

Screenshot_20200206-213500_NHL.jpg

Edited by pi2000

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.