GDT: Sabres at Vancouver 12/07/19 4 pm EST

bob_sauve28

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

the UPL - 2023 1st rounder core, headed by veteran defenseman Rasmus Dahlin 

Well, we were told a full, long scale rebuild (“down to the studs”) is what Botterill wanted if he could win that lottery. We should have listened. 

It bought him the timeline he wanted.

I’m already prepared for “Did the ends justify the means?” to replace The Tank as the main point of contention around here when we achieve a playoff berth in 3 or 4 years. Just how detrimental the length of the path we are taking ends up being, what Botterill was willing to sacrifice in the name of the extreme patience his route requires. 

It’ll be fascinating.

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There could even be people out there who allow it if it's clear we were stocking up in a huge way for the near future - they wouldn't include me, but they'd exist. 

But our second best forward prospect not on the team today is what, Tage Thompson? like holy ***** there's nothing on the farm except Cozens 

Botterill approach is build the farm first.  

Our best forward prospects are: Cozens, Tage, Asplund.  Asplund is up and contributing.  

I think a bunch of his picks are in Sweden and not in Rochester.  

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What has Botterill done to address the goaltending in 3 years? Hutton has been a bust. He drafted UPL, maybe that’s the timeline we are on 

Botteril has done a terrible job with the goaltending. Hutton sucks. He needs to be fired. We can’t wait for UPL to possibly be god in 3 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Ray consistently mentions McCabe, Bogosian and Hutton as veteran presence for the young guys in the locker room. How long before the young guys realize, if they haven’t already, that these three are costing them wins? 

Ron's opinion is not worth even talking about. Typical ex player's cliche bs.

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Ray consistently mentions McCabe, Bogosian and Hutton as veteran presence for the young guys in the locker room. How long before the young guys realize, if they haven’t already, that these three are costing them wins? 

Yup. Hey  I brought in veterans that won. Goyette, Smith, Duff, Marshall, Shack, Hillman and Horton ... all knew what it took to win.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Our best forward prospects are: Cozens, Tage, Asplund.  Asplund is up and contributing.  

If true, this is abject failure. There were three offseasons and Asplund isn't even his

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

If true, this is abject failure. There were three offseasons and Asplund isn't even his

I think it’s true.  He said the farm must be built to develop a pipeline of players. I agree with him on that. 

Look at where his players are.  

Asplund is not his. Neither is Olofsson.  

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We had no chance to build the farm. Everyone worth an ilk is playing on the Sabres, sans Cozens. Once we have the Sabres stocked, then the farm can be stocked. Otherwise, there’s not much in Rochester. 

This game and others like it are why I don't think this team has a hockey character issue, ie, trouble dealing with hockey-related adversity. 

When ROR and Kane were still here and part of the core, the number of third period comebacks was pretty high, successful and unsuccessful. Think in Nashville in 16-17, in Boston earlier that season, down 4-1 vs. San Jose later on, a few times versus Detroit and NYI, Ottawa and Rangers comebacks, @ Carolina, NYR in 2015-16, in Vegas in 17-18, in Boston later that season, same thing @ New jersey, again at Nashville later on in the season. Then last year, the late tying/winning heroics three times against Montreal, the WPG/MIN comebacks, the Pittsburgh comeback (twice), the Carolina OTL down 2 goals late, home against Vancouver, road against Calgary, home against LA, @ columbus the second time. 

This year with the San Jose games, and recently in Toronto. These were all multi goal and/or third period deficits erased, most of them wins, with this core. They can deal with hockey adversity, and like we saw with ROR and Kane, in a better situation, will continue to do so when the stakes ramp up. There's zero reason to believe they won't. 

The issue is that when the depth finally starts kicking in goals, the goaltending goes. Then it recovers, but special teams kick out in a big way. By the time that's right again, we're already on a 10 game stretch again with 2 depth goals. It's a vicious cycle and too many things are wrong to allow the good parts of this team to have consistent success. The things that go wrong simply can't be excused by "we're building for the future" because they're traced to active moves for the present that were dubious at the time they were made, and weren't made with an eye to the future. There are plenty of fun games that better-constructed teams win in these bad stretches, with shining moments from promising players, but the team cannot watch them happen and button down the fort, one of the countless weaknesses inevitably kicks out and makes it not matter anyway

I remember reading a Wild fan discussion a few years ago when they were still a consistent playoff team. It went like, "Man I like our guys,and they win enough games, but when they get down in the third, it's like they know in their brains the game is over. They don't have that it factor." We come back a lot more than that team did. But Minnesota, when something good happens, would only have to say to themselves "Okay - we're in a good spot, as long as our 3rd pairing can survive their last three sheltered shifts in the third period, the game is locked down."

Boston fans can say "Okay, this good thing happened, as long as Krug and the fourth line don't have any hand grenades, we're good."

For us it's "Okay, that good thing happened. As long as D pair 2 doesn't give up a third 2 on 1 tonight this shift, we can get to the next shift, where we hope D pair 1 doesn't have a failed clear ending in a flurry of chances. In addition, our center can't get caught in bad coverage like usual, and our fourth line hopefully doesn't take yet another penalty. if we're clear THERE, then all we need is for Hutton to not allow a softie, or make sure that he only allows 4 goals tonight." There are way too many links in there that can break for us compared to other teams.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

We had no chance to build the farm. Everyone worth an ilk is playing on the Sabres, sans Cozens. Once we have the Sabres stocked, then the farm can be stocked. Otherwise, there’s not much in Rochester. 

Agreed, not only is Rochester thin, but there is very little to be optimistic about from a center or forward standpoint.  Cozens yes, but Asplund and Tage are not legit top 6 forwards.  Pekar may be interesting, but not realistically top 6.  Botterill has stocked the D corps with picks (Johnson, samuelsson, Laaksonen), but somebody please tell me where we have any other forward prospects to get excited about....aside from Cozens?

The only way to get bonafide forward talent who can help immediately is via trade and our only commodity is D-prospects and future draft picks.  Nobody wants our trash.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There are plenty of fun games that better-constructed teams win in these bad stretches, with shining moments from promising players, but the team cannot watch them happen and button down the fort, one of the countless weaknesses inevitably kicks out and makes it not matter anyway

Right. Too many questionable variables in flux each game, over the course of several games, stretches, etc. Tails never fails, except when flipping 3/4 coins at the same time. 

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Agreed, not only is Rochester thin, but there is very little to be optimistic about from a center or forward standpoint.  Cozens yes, but Asplund and Tage are not legit top 6 forwards.  Pekar may be interesting, but not realistically top 6.  Botterill has stocked the D corps with picks (Johnson, samuelsson, Laaksonen), but somebody please tell me where we have any other forward prospects to get excited about....aside from Cozens?

The only way to get bonafide forward talent who can help immediately is via trade and our only commodity is D-prospects and future draft picks.  Nobody wants our trash.

Maybe Mittelstadt still has trade value greater than his actual. Get Pronman on the line. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Jack has 22 points in 12 games and we’ve won 4 of those games. Sad. 

It’s also a great argument for why the “Jack should be doing more, and LEAD his team to the playoffs” line of thinking was never fair, if pre-this season Edmonton-with-McDavid wasn’t already enough. 

Jack is doing as much as one can and it’s not enough without a lot more help. He’s expressing the type of talent that takes over games, yet due to our roster it’s requiring all of that just to keep us IN them. 

22 minutes ago, kas23 said:

ilk

/ilk/

noun

a type of people or things similar to those already referred to.

Haven’t read the thread but was at the game, waiting for the ferry home.

Horrible first period for us.

Looked Decent second and third.

Stunned by the OT. I thought things like that only happened when we were playing the New England Patriots. The arena thought it was over when Jack scored. Joki’s penalty came out of nowhere. The one replay I saw looked like incidental contact away from the play.

From my seat, bad plays by Marco and Jake in the neutral zone cost them two rush goals and a Jack ?turnover on what should have been a nice rush for us cost them a third.

The shortie was entirely on Casey. Awful weak effort by him on the dump in let the Canucks break out easily. Overall  he looked as bad as his critics say, just totally soft on pucks and overmatched on pace. Canucks were trying to match Pettersson on Casey all night and when they did it was ugly.

Larry looked great live, pretty much the opposite of Casey - a genuine 3rd line centre. His whole line was grinding so well. The Zemgus goal was right in front of us and was magnificent.

Surprising number of Sabre fans and we erupted when Mojo tied it. Six on five it just felt like we were going to score.

Hutton let in his usual goal every six shots, but Demko wasn’t any better.

Disappointing result but an exciting game and a good atmosphere.

It was 80s night in the arena and it was a very 80s game

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Handy that this happens on Vancouver's second straight icing.

***** off.

Forgot about this. Jack’s line had ground Horvats down to exhaustion, got off for a rest and jumped back on against the same exhausted group. I was salivating until I saw the ref with the headset on, effectively giving the Canucks a timeout.

What happened? They never explained it in the arena and it cost us a crucial chance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.