Risto said it's time for him to go?

matter2003

20 hours ago, Taro T said:

Really hoping we get to see Ristolainen in a role we've never seen him in before - that of 2RD.  We know he runs out of gas as the 1RD, but he's never been a 2 for any appreciable spell.  And now that Montour is here, he can slide down 1 rung.  Not saying Montour's an ideal 1, but he's better than Risto & the D shouldbe better than last year by virtue of him, Dahlin being a year older, & presumably having a better scheme.  

We've suffered through Risto's being overly depended upon.  Let's seeif that yields something.  If not, he can still be traded or left exposed to Seattle.  Butif he can be a true 3, this D could be real solid coming out of the lockout.

Maybe the Sabre should draft Byram. 

Dahlin - Mountour

Byram - Ristolainen

Pilut - Borgen

Make the defense so good in two seasons that forward upgrades matter less? Use our other first on a forward. Sign Hayes (if $ is reasonable), Mittelstadt's 2C future doubled-down on in the process, I'd aruge, re-sign Skinner, swing an under the radar deal for a legitimate 2RW, and hope Eichel can elevate Olofsson. 

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Hayes/Mittelstadt - Trade

Sheary - Mittelstadt/Hayes - Rodrigues 

*Is there a chance Byram is ready step right in?

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

*Is there a chance Byram is ready step right in?

Very unlikely.  I think it would be a bad idea.  However, any player can be pushed into the NHL before they are ready.  We’ve seen that once or twice.

• 2 weeks later...

Risto takes the most solo zone exits (so he doesn't use his team to exit as much as anyone else) and it results in this

That is not an error where Ristolainen is located – when faced with pressure on exits, Risto exited with possession two percent of the time. This is the off-the-glass-and-out play whenever an opponent came near him. https://theathletic.com/974041/2019/05/13/stimson-a-few-key-stats-the-next-sabres-coaching-staff-should-use-when-considering-rasmus-ristolainens-usage/

The short version is Risto needs a coach and he needs to listen to that coach, if he won't TRADE HIM. He tries to carry the puck out of the zone the most and is the worst at it. He should be using his teammates more. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Risto takes the most solo zone exits (so he doesn't use his team to exit as much as anyone else) and it results in this

The short version is Risto needs a coach and he needs to listen to that coach, if he won't TRADE HIM. He tries to carry the puck out of the zone the most and is the worst at it. He should be using his teammates more. 

This matches what the eye sees 

Botterill mentioned that the defenseman injuries will not preclude them from making moves to improve the team in the long term. He mentioned that Borgen, Fitzgerald and Bryson could be fill ins for the beginning of the season He did state they probably would not be able to handle a full 82 games though

On 5/14/2019 at 8:56 AM, LGR4GM said:

I ready this article and it screamed trade him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2019 at 8:11 PM, Taro T said:

Really hoping we get to see Ristolainen in a role we've never seen him in before - that of 2RD.  We know he runs out of gas as the 1RD, but he's never been a 2 for any appreciable spell.  And now that Montour is here, he can slide down 1 rung.  Not saying Montour's an ideal 1, but he's better than Risto & the D shouldbe better than last year by virtue of him, Dahlin being a year older, & presumably having a better scheme.  

We've suffered through Risto's being overly depended upon.  Let's seeif that yields something.  If not, he can still be traded or left exposed to Seattle.  Butif he can be a true 3, this D could be real solid coming out of the lockout.

Agree with this . Place him in a realistic role he capable of . He is not a great defenseman reduce the expectations of greatness a role where he plays to his strengths not expectations very well may yield great results for many years. Expecting more than what players are does kill them. Many have gone elsewhere to success because the expectations they be part of the team that changes things not the single person making the change. Ryan OReilly having succes now a example of this . 

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

ROR is not an example. ROR was good while he was here and good after he left. Risto has been bad, mediocre, and meh. 

My point was yes O’Reiily  was good but expected to be Jack and many disappointed he wasn’t.  Role he has now he part of the team not The team. Jack a elite player . Ryan a good player . Good players can produce great results . Give Risto a more suitable role without the unreal expectations  and just maybe a good player will reap similar great results 

Edited by millbank
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

Curious to see what Krueger thinks of Risto

Enough of this "well... let's see what this new coach can get out of him..."

He's been given every opportunity to succeed under multiple regimes and he's failed.   

He's simply not a good defenseman, time to cut bait.

Just now, pi2000 said:

Enough of this "well... let's see what this new coach can get out of him..."

He's been given every opportunity to succeed under multiple regimes and he's failed.   

He's simply not a good defenseman, time to cut bait.

I'm not disagreeing, I'm simply wondering aloud if Krueger does as well

Just now, WildCard said:

I'm not disagreeing, I'm simply wondering aloud if Krueger does as well

RK doesn't know him... JBOT does, so he should be the one making the decision on his future with the club.

Risto sucks because he has low hockey IQ, and he's a terrible skater in tight areas.     RK can't fix that with motivational speeches.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Botterill mentioned that the defenseman injuries will not preclude them from making moves to improve the team in the long term. He mentioned that Borgen, Fitzgerald and Bryson could be fill ins for the beginning of the season He did state they probably would not be able to handle a full 82 games though

I'm not surprised really considering that there's only 2 LT D injuries right now, and only one guy was firmly penciled into the opening night line-up anyways. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, millbank said:

Assuming other GM’s are not drunk or on drugs and as so many say Risto sucks . What would he return in a trade ?

There are always GMs out there who think they can "fix" a player... somebody will bite, Risto is still relatively young and he's been on bad teams. 

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

There are always GMs out there who think they can "fix" a player... somebody will bite, Risto is still relatively young and he's been on bad teams. 

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Might it at least be wiser to see if this new Coach has some answers and worst case trade him when return would be better given at this point his status considered trash .  Just my opinion but Risto in a role with more realistic expectations can be a good player. He only 24 . It is said players at his position mature-the latest.  Wise to let coach have a shot at that then a nothing return 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, millbank said:

Wise to let coach have a shot at that then a nothing return 

Or at least participate in the decision to trade him or not.

I expect all the players on the roster will be evaluated, rated, and depth-chart stacked by Krueger and his staff (if they haven't been already), and Krueger will make recommendations on who needs to go and what kinds of players are needed.

6 minutes ago, millbank said:

Might it at least be wiser to see if this new Coach has some answers and worst case trade him when return would be better given at this point his status considered trash .  Just my opinion but Risto in a role with more realistic expectations can be a good player. He only 24 . It is said players at his position mature-the latest.  Wise to let coach have a shot at that then a nothing return 

If you wait to trade him, you run the risk that he doesn't improve and he is what he is (most likely scenario IMO)... which would lessen his trade value.... also he could get injured and then you're stuck with him for the season, with nothing to show for it.

Contrary to popular opinion, his shortcomings as a player aren't related to how he's used, or how many minutes he plays, etc.    

The idea is that some GM out there might think otherwise.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If you wait to trade him, you run the risk that he doesn't improve and he is what he is (most likely scenario IMO)... which would lessen his trade value.... also he could get injured and then you're stuck with him for the season, with nothing to show for it.

Contrary to popular opinion, his shortcomings as a player aren't related to how he's used, or how many minutes he plays, etc.    

The idea is that some GM out there might think otherwise.

There might be disagreement at how he is used and minutes played . Would prefer new Coach have fair shot and opinion . Coaching has not been a strength 

41 minutes ago, millbank said:

He's 24 is a bad reason to keep him. He has 6 full nhl seasons to his name and is still bad defensively. He's basically more useful bogosian. A new coach isn't fixing him and he is fully mature. How many seasons does need before he's mature? 7? 10? 14? 

You're an nhl veteran after 3-4 seasons. He's a veteran.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

He's 24 is a bad reason to keep him. He has 6 full nhl seasons to his name and is still bad defensively. He's basically more useful bogosian. A new coach isn't fixing him and he is fully mature. How many seasons does need before he's mature? 7? 10? 14? 

24 means he is young . We disagree . Not saying you wrong and I right necessarily . I feel it’s the role and expectations placed on him .  The last Coach was a major fail. It may be a thought to take a breath and let some things play out a bit. 

3 hours ago, millbank said:

24 means he is young . We disagree . Not saying you wrong and I right necessarily . I feel it’s the role and expectations placed on him .  The last Coach was a major fail. It may be a thought to take a breath and let some things play out a bit. 

He'll basically be 25 when the season starts. If he hasn't figured it out yet, not sure why suddenly in year 7 at age 25 he basically will. 

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He'll basically be 25 when the season starts. If he hasn't figured it out yet, not sure why suddenly in year 7 at age 25 he basically will. 

I'm w/ Millsie on this one.

He could definitely be (finally) relegated to 2nd pairing this year.  And IF (granted a BIF if) they want to slide Dahlin back to the right side after the lockout, then Dahlin is 1st pairing (where he'll belong), Montour can be 2nd pairing (where he'll excel), & Ristolainen can be 3rd pairing (where he should as well).  The left side could be McCabe & cheap, good, young guys (or 3 young cheap guys should McCabe get lost to Seattle).

That could be a really solid D.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.