Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PASabreFan

If fans could fire an owner, would you fire Terry?

Would you fire Terry?  

89 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you fire Terry?

    • Yes
      26
    • No
      63


Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Is this anything more than message board speculation? It’s fine, if not. I can’t recall having heard this theory.

That theory was talked about here and in print at the time.  Then again, so was the theory that LaLa was prone to angry outbursts.

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Weave said:

That theory was talked about here and in print at the time.  Then again, so was the theory that LaLa was prone to angry outbursts.

The more time passes without hearing “boo” from Lafontaine, the more his hiring *and* firing seem strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The more time passes without hearing “boo” from Lafontaine, the more his hiring *and* firing seem strange.

He signed a full non disclosure clause. Legally he cannot say anything about what happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He signed a full non disclosure clause. Legally he cannot say anything about what happened. 

Right.

I was imprecise. I more meant: I haven’t seen or heard from him at all.

Pegula hired him as president of hockey operations. Has he not surfaced somewhere else in the league in some prominent position? Why not?

That’s more on the hiring angle, I guess.

The demise of the club as a competitive enterprise seems to make his departure more and more ominous. That actually is not really tied to his post-termination silence (which was likely purchased). It’s more just a sense — maybe he objected strenuously to anti-competitive choices, maybe he was right to do so. 

And/or, given that he’s not been doing much since then, maybe he’s a guy who struggles with anger arising from some sort of post-concussion syndrome.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Right.

I was imprecise. I more meant: I haven’t seen or heard from him at all.

Pegula hired him as president of hockey operations. Has he not surfaced somewhere else in the league in some prominent position? Why not?

That’s more on the hiring angle, I guess.

The demise of the club as a competitive enterprise seems to make his departure more and more ominous. That actually is not really tied to his post-termination silence (which was likely purchased). It’s more just a sense — maybe he objected strenuously to anti-competitive choices, maybe he was right to do so. 

And/or, given that he’s not been doing much since then, maybe he’s a guy who struggles with anger arising from some sort of post-concussion syndrome.

I thiught the league hired him in some capacity after he was let go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Weave said:

I thiught the league hired him in some capacity after he was let go.

I remember hearing that as well - that he basically returned whence he came. But one Googling came up fairly empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PASabreFan: I could not find any of the old threads where we discussed the nature of an owner's ownership of a pro sports club -- maybe they're gone forever? These were the threads where you talked about the Sabres as a community asset not unlike the BPO, etc. I was fairly contrary to that position. Anyway, this was the best match I could find, so I am plunking it here.

The inimitable Arlo White and the good fans of Bury FC in England are of a mind with you. Thank God for subtitles.

 

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dudacek said:

@PASabreFan did you see this feature about Terry’s growing up in PA, his love of baseball and his purchase of the Bills.

https://theathletic.com/1189973/2019/09/11/talking-baseball-with-terry-pegula-whose-childhood-fandom-inspired-his-purchase-of-buffalos-teams/

No. Not a subscriber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dudacek said:

@PASabreFan did you see this feature about Terry’s growing up in PA, his love of baseball and his purchase of the Bills.

https://theathletic.com/1189973/2019/09/11/talking-baseball-with-terry-pegula-whose-childhood-fandom-inspired-his-purchase-of-buffalos-teams/

Yep.  His 1 true sporting love: the Detroit Tigers.  (Particularly the '68 vintage.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 5:57 PM, Eleven said:

Is Jim Irsay qualified to own an NFL franchise?

Aww, PA is on his "I'm not rich enough to own a team so I should criticize everyone who is" thing again.

Notice, never answered the question above.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Out of curiosity, what's the "childhood fandom" angle? What teams did he follow?

IT WAS IN THE LINK AND IN TARO'S POST.  If you weren't so concerned with soapboxing...it was the Detroit Tigers.

Edited by Eleven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

 

IT WAS IN THE LINK AND IN WEAVE'S POST.  If you weren't so concerned with soapboxing...it was the Detroit Tigers.

Say what now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's Eleven O'Clock. Spooky time on SabreSpace.

Please.  When you can read, let me know.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Say what now?

My apologies.  I got my eastern provinces mixed up.  Taro, not you. Edited.

Edited by Eleven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's Eleven O'Clock. Spooky time on SabreSpace.

Definitely spooky time. Still trying to find a link that Taro posted and still don't subscribe to The Athletic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SwampD said:

Definitely spooky time. Still trying to find a link that Taro posted and still don't subscribe to The Athletic.

Morning's a bitch, eh?

I'm still waiting to hear if Terry being a Tigers fan as a yout inspired him to buy the Sabres and Bills, and if so, how did it inspire him?

Why didn't he buy a baseball team? (OH, WHY DIDN'T HE BUY A BASEBALL TEAM!?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Morning's a bitch, eh?

I'm still waiting to hear if Terry being a Tigers fan as a yout inspired him to buy the Sabres and Bills, and if so, how did it inspire him?

Why didn't he buy a baseball team? (OH, WHY DIDN'T HE BUY A BASEBALL TEAM!?)

Since it appears you are actually asking a question and have temporarily unsnarked:

The son of Hank Greenberg is the man who brokered the deal between Pegula and the Wilson Estate.  The article implies that the personal connection Pegula felt with Greenberg, because Greenberg's father was Pegula's hero, was the "seal the deal" element that led Pegula to hire Greenberg (who had previously turned down both John Bongiovi and Donald Trump, per the article) in connection with Pegula's purchase of the Bills.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eleven said:

The son of Hank Greenberg is the man who brokered the deal between Pegula and the Wilson Estate.  The article implies that the personal connection Pegula felt with Greenberg, because Greenberg's father was Pegula's hero, was the "seal the deal" element that led Pegula to hire Greenberg (who had previously turned down both John Bongiovi and Donald Trump, per the article) in connection with Pegula's purchase of the Bills.

yo - TIL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it. That's Terry's MO. He bumps into someone reaching for the same rack of ribs at Golden Corral, recognizes him and before the check comes he's the new president of the Buffalo Sabres (while pudding and apple pie are fetched for dessert, the GM offer is refused). "I know you!" "I know your dad!" "Aren't you from Pittsburgh? I have a dog named after Sid!"

The only deviation here is that apparently Greenberg knew how to do his job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I believe it. That's Terry's MO. He bumps into someone reaching for the same rack of ribs at Golden Corral, recognizes him and before the check comes he's the new president of the Buffalo Sabres (while pudding and apple pie are fetched for dessert, the GM offer is refused). "I know you!" "I know your dad!" "Aren't you from Pittsburgh? I have a dog named after Sid!"

The only deviation here is that apparently Greenberg knew how to do his job.

Do you think this is how McD and BB were hired for the Bills?  Or JB was hired for the Sabres?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...