2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round

Brawndo

2 hours ago, ct fab said:

Not sure how the 2nd goal by the blues counted. Sure looked to me that the left post was way off before the Puck crossed the line.

I think it's a stupid rule, it was an obvious goal. But by rule's standards, it was a bad call. It never should have counted. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I think it's a stupid rule, it was an obvious goal. But by rule's standards, it was a bad call. It never should have counted. 

No Jet knocked the post off, so that rule didn't apply. The puck crossed the line before the net was completely off. The net can be lifted up and a goal can be scored.

10 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

No Jet knocked the post off, so that rule didn't apply. The puck crossed the line before the net was completely off. The net can be lifted up and a goal can be scored.

The rule states that if the opposing team is responsible for the net coming off, the goal can be counted if, a) the shot has been taken or in the process of being taken at time net is dislodged, and b) the puck is judged to be going in the regular net placement, had it been there. 

Net doesn’t have to be on, was clearly the correct call. And a just rule, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The rule states that if the opposing team is responsible for the net coming off, the goal can be counted if, a) the shot has been taken or in the process of being taken at time net is dislodged, and b) the puck is judged to be going in the regular net placement, had it been there. 

Point taken. After taking into consideration what really happened, and the rules, you are correct with your assessment and I'm wrong. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Yep. That's a recent change, isn't it? Maybe within five years or so?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with my take, but the rule you're citing didn't come into play on that goal. It was simply a matter of the puck crossing the line before the net was dislodged (or displaced).

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

my top three anthem singers are the anthem shouldn’t be sung before sporting events, doug allen is overrated and the u.s. national anthem sucks.

You're too young to be this bitter!

4 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Off topic, perhaps not the right thread. But who are the best anthem singers?

My top three are Todd Angilly, Jim Cornelison and Lyndon Slewidge. 

Sorry, I put a lot into anthem singers, it helps to get pumped for a game. 

I love the anthem singer debate. If someone hasn't started a hockey anthem singer blog, you should do so. I will contribute.

37 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not sure if you're disagreeing with my take, but the rule you're citing didn't come into play on that goal. It was simply a matter of the puck crossing the line before the net was dislodged (or displaced).

You're too young to be this bitter!

This is incorrect. 

Friedman laid out the rule on tv and explained this is why it counted. 

Even when the official explained the call on the ice, he mentioned it was because the defending player caused the net to go off. 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Yep. That's a recent change, isn't it? Maybe within five years or so?

I believe you are correct. Was seen as a "common sense" type addition.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I love the anthem singer debate. If someone hasn't started a hockey anthem singer blog, you should do so. I will contribute.

Done. I hope some will contribute. 

Not looking for a massive thread. Just a good conversation. 

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

You're gonna be our next shooting star

Huh? I don’t know what you mean by that. Care to be more clear or rephrase?

Allow me to clarify what I meant by that other post ...

I can understand if some people don’t care for the national anthem being sung at sporting events. Fine. I can understand if some people although I think it’s the vast vast minority, don’t want military people honored at sporting events. Frankly I find that stance a little offensive,  because I think all military people should be thanked and honored  as much is possible.  But I can at least understand and not have an issue if that honoring and thanking went away at sporting events. 

What I take a great offense to, are individuals who think any nations anthems suck.  Because then the obvious extension, is the nation itself sucks.  And if somebody’s going to say that the national anthem sucks, then I’m going to verbalize now offended that makes me.  If this board is truly looking out for everyone’s interest, then there should be no topics that can get political in nature because it always ends in roughly 50% of the posters being offended or upset.  If the comment about the US national anthem sucking was instantly modded out (Because it could offend someone, and be taken as political speech) then no one would take offense to the pushback that could cause.

back to playoff talk in this playoff thread ... I hope Boston and Calgary win tonight 

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I can understand if some people don’t care for the national anthem being sung at sporting events. Fine. I can understand if some people although I think it’s the vast vast minority, don’t want military people honored at sporting events. Frankly I find that stance a little offensive,  because I think all military people should be thanked and honored  as much is possible.  But I can at least understand and not have an issue if that honoring and thanking went away at sporting events. 

What I take a great offense to, are individuals who think any nations anthems suck.  Because then the obvious extension, is the nation itself sucks.  And if somebody’s going to say that the national anthem sucks, then I’m going to verbalize now offended that makes me.  If this board is truly looking out for everyone’s interest, then there should be no topics that can get political in nature because it always ends in roughly 50% of the posters being offended or upset.  If the comment about the US national anthem sucking was instantly modded out (Because it could offend someone, and be taken as political speech) then no one would take offense to the pushback that could cause.

I can’t think of a single person that I served with that enjoyed being honored at events or thanked in public. They certainly wouldn’t have been the kind of soldiers I hung around with though. Also, I don’t think saying the national anthem sucks means a person thinks a nation sucks. I’ve never heard anyone complain about the quality of content with the anthem, but I still don’t think that’s the case. Im sure if you listened to all the anthems of the world some would be of far greater quality than others, I don’t think that’s a reflection on the country. 

The discussions of whether anthems should be sung is a valid topic if discussing anthems throughout the league, but like you said, this isn’t the thread (though one did just start). 

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

This is incorrect. 

Friedman laid out the rule on tv and explained this is why it counted. 

Even when the official explained the call on the ice, he mentioned it was because the defending player caused the net to go off. 

I stand corrected. Thanks. I didn't think fouling someone into the net, displacing it, would allow the rule to kick in, but I was wrong. I still wonder if the puck crossed the line before the net was displaced. It's a mute point. <----- Free one for @inkman.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

back to playoff talk in this playoff thread ... I hope Boston and Calgary win tonight 

in what world is a song representative of the entire country? i think the u.s. sucks for reasons not related to the anthem. i also think blind faith and support to any group is destructive. i would go to great lengths to support veterans who i know personally to be great people who served well even if i will never support any war.

EDIT: as to not derail the thread please pm if you have any further questions. thank you.

Edited by Hoss

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Huh? I don’t know what you mean by that. Care to be more clear or rephrase?

Allow me to clarify what I meant by that other post ...

We don't sing it before anything else other than sporting events. Not plays, operas, concerts, gallery openings, whatever. Why do we do it before sporting events?  Why does no other country besides Canada do this before domestic sporting events?  It's ***** stupid, jingoistic, and it's as dumb as the pledge before school starts.  Borders on fascism.

EDIT:  Forgot North Korea.  There's some great company.

EDIT 2:  And honoring military has turned into military worship.  This is dangerous.  The pendulum needs to be somewhere between where we are today and where we were in 1975.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

Jets set a record for blown leads in the 3rd this year... not to mention one shot on goal on a 4 minute PP.

Absolutely pathetic.

Buff played like crap and Chiarot is not an NHL D man.

Ehlers is still waiting for his first playoff goal...ever.

To top it off, this will be the 2nd year in a row that the Jets won't have their 1st round pick.

Edited by Ducky

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.