GDT: Sabres at San Jose 10/18/18 10:30 PM MSG, WGR

thewookie1

I did not watch the game and I do not have time to read this thread.

The final score was 5 -1, which looks very bad, but it was 2 - 1 heading into the third, right?  So, did the Sabres look pretty good, or at least OK, until the wheels fell off in the third, or is that not the case?

40 minutes ago, inkman said:

So much this. I couldn't believe how few options any player had once the puck was on their stick. It's as if the players are so busy thinking about where they should be they actually never get there. They other players on the ice we're skating INTO the effing defense. I'm no hockey guru but I'm pretty sure you are supposed to try and get away from the other team. 

I think the talent is here. Either Housley is extraordinarily poor at teaching his system or we have a slew of knuckleheads in the blue and gold. I'm leaning toward the first. 

Lots of people, we're very leery of the Housely hire as he was playing poker with a straight flush with Nashville's D. Right how he's got a pair of 9s. You can't play it the same way. I don't think he can adjust. 

Risto is overrated but still top four on most teams. Housley definitely had talent in Nashville to make him look good. There is more than enough evidence to question his coaching now.

50 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Where did all the 6-10 foot passes go, hell even 3 foot passes? I only got to see the end of the second and the third of this game and there was virtually zero puck support. Way too often, when a Sabre had the puck in the O or neutral zone, there wasn't another Sabre within 15 feet of them.

And that D,… oof. they were tough to watch last night.

I think Risto is a blockhead. I still like him, though,… I think.

22 minutes ago, Weave said:

So, we drafted and traded to build an entire team of below NHL average intelligence?  I don't buy it.  Every team runs a system, and most team systems have very similar elements to them.  Phyllis isn't trying to install a genius level system here.  I seriously doubt it requires any more thought on the players parts than any other team system.

I could do without this.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nucci said:

This is where we are. I am so tired of losing

Then get on the U@Buffalo football bandwagon. They are 6-1 and have several players that will be drafted, including WR Anthony Johnson who is projected to go RD1.

Big game @Toledo Saturday 12noon on Ch.2 Buffalo.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Then get on the U@Buffalo football bandwagon. They are 6-1 and have several players that will be drafted, including WR Anthony Johnson who is projected to go RD1.

Big game @Toledo Saturday 12noon on Ch.2 Buffalo.

I watched last weeks game on directv . Forgot which channel. I'll try to find Saturday's game. Thanks

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Where did all the 6-10 foot passes go, hell even 3 foot passes? I only got to see the end of the second and the third of this game and there was virtually zero puck support. Way too often, when a Sabre had the puck in the O or neutral zone, there wasn't another Sabre within 15 feet of them.

And that D,… oof. they were tough to watch last night.

I think Risto is a blockhead. I still like him, though,… I think.

Risto will be so much better on a second pair at 20 minutes per night, playing against Derick Brassard instead of Sidney Crosby. The bad things are way easier to hide than when he's out there for half the game against the best, and he'll have the energy and confidence to do those things we remember him actually doing well.

2 hours ago, N S said:

I did not watch the game and I do not have time to read this thread.

The final score was 5 -1, which looks very bad, but it was 2 - 1 heading into the third, right?  So, did the Sabres look pretty good, or at least OK, until the wheels fell off in the third, or is that not the case?

The first two periods they looked the best I"ve seen them at ES this year, but they were crippled by a bonehead penalty 2 minutes in, a 4 minute double minor, that SJ scored twice on. They were snake-bit, hitting two posts, in a game that could have been 3-0 Buffalo going into the third. Then the third might have been their worst period of the season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sakman said:

You could do without the knuckle dragging old school view that to feminize something is equal to calling it weak? 

Yeah, I could do without that too. 

F'real.

The known universe is lousy with apt metaphors. Let's do away with those that are sexist or misogynistic.

Besides which: Those metaphors are so far off-base that they should do nothing but create confusion. I've seen my wife give birth several times. There are grizzly, unnerving details associated with those events. I'll never get over some of the sh1t she had to endure. Oh, and this is to say nothing of the fact that she trudged around with walking pneumonia for half a winter before giving any outward indication that she might need to treat with a doctor -- running the household and working a job outside the home like a boss all the while.

There is a term that was once commonly used to reference a domestic cat. That one's another case in point. This comic does a credible job with the theme, although I don't think this is the stand-up bit that I seem to recall on the subject:

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

So many negatives, this is really the only positive at all. That and maybe that Dahlin shows signs of brilliance to come. But ya, otherwise it's a shitshow. 

And Okposo is only a minus 1.  He's better.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.