Johnny Rain Cloud: The Sabres Need More Scoring and Scorers!

GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Cage said:

People if you're interested in what's coming, follow the Amerks game unfolding now.  Victor Olofsson now has 4 pts (2G/2A) tonight and his the leading scorer in the AHL.  And his Swedish counterpart Pilut is also running a multi-point night again and is +7 leading the Amerks

Well maybe, but neither lit it up in preseason so don't get too excited just yet. I hope they can make the jump, but I'd leave them down there for a while to develop together. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well maybe, but neither lit it up in preseason so don't get too excited just yet. I hope they can make the jump, but I'd leave them down there for a while to develop together. 

Patience with Olofsson, just like with Ullmark.  Bringin him up too early could potentially have negative consequences, though, his scoring would be helpful.

• Like (+1) 1

Another tiny sample size alert: But this team is now out of the bottom ten in expected goals for, after being consistently, like, last for a while. 

Pretty sure it's because we have two guys that can create offense on different lines. A poster on hf phrased it as "somebody competing with Jack for offensive minutes" being a great thing for the team's offense. Ie, it's literally because of Skinner being here and replacing the top six role of a player that Phil preferred to use as Jay Beagle, needing to be heavily sheltered because of Jeff's lack of defense

xGF correlates better than shots and current goals with future goal predictions, so let's hope that bears out and the Sabres can crawl out of the goal scoring basement. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

I think Jack is similar to MacKinnon.  Mac did not start becoming dominant until his 5th year.  Jack is ahead of him in their first 3 comparative seasons with less games played.  I think a few of the kids coming will translate into scorers plus Dahlin will develop.  This is the first upward trend year we had in a while.  I expect a up and down year with eventual progress I hope.  It all depends on Housley.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I think Jack is similar to MacKinnon.  Mac did not start becoming dominant until his 5th year.  Jack is ahead of him in their first 3 comparative seasons with less games played.  I think a few of the kids coming will translate into scorers plus Dahlin will develop.  This is the first upward trend year we had in a while.  I expect a up and down year with eventual progress I hope.  It all depends on Housley.  

Wouldn't that be nice.

MacK really was looking quite bad in his 4th season. 

7 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Decent comparison. I kept thinking Mike Modanno (to go back in time) but McKinnon might be a better comparison. In any event I think he is a player who will be better as the team around him gets better, he is not really the kind of guy who still thrives when the team around him is crap (unlike say McDavid or Tavares on the island) 

27 minutes ago, Jsixspd said:

Sabres are now down to a dismal 1.8 goals per game;  that's Tank Season caliber stuff.     That is just horrible - the only team worse in the league  is the perennially horrible Coyotes at 1.1 goals for 

I know the season is still early, but this team is losing already.  I am not into the deep strategy stuff of hockey...I watch for pure entertainment...so there are really only 2 things I care about  1.)  Wins for the Sabres.  2.)  Goals for the Sabres.  (BTW, the same thing applies to the Bills..wins and Points)

I'll admit I am not a die-hard fan.  I'm slightly more than casual.  I WILL devote time to watching this team, but wow...how many years has it been since this team had a winning record and/or top 10 offense?  It is getting really hard to keep watching.  3.6 goals per game right now would give you the 10th best offense in the league. The Sabres are about half of that.  3.3 goals gives you an 'average' offense this year.  The Sabres would have to score 17 goals in the next 2 games just to get to 'average' this year.  It is way too early in the season for numbers like that.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I know the season is still early, but this team is losing already.  I am not into the deep strategy stuff of hockey...I watch for pure entertainment...so there are really only 2 things I care about  1.)  Wins for the Sabres.  2.)  Goals for the Sabres.  (BTW, the same thing applies to the Bills..wins and Points)

I'll admit I am not a die-hard fan.  I'm slightly more than casual.  I WILL devote time to watching this team, but wow...how many years has it been since this team had a winning record and/or top 10 offense?  It is getting really hard to keep watching.  3.6 goals per game right now would give you the 10th best offense in the league. The Sabres are about half of that.  3.3 goals gives you an 'average' offense this year.  The Sabres would have to score 17 goals in the next 2 games just to get to 'average' this year.  It is way too early in the season for numbers like that.

Actually, it was three days ago.?

I think Buffalo has gotten better in the scouting department but I guess only time will tell. Don’t feel so bad they had a rookie tourney here in Vegas and the participanting teams were Vegas, Colorado, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose and Arizona. I had tickets for all the games and guess which team had the worst players? You guessed it. Arizona. So you want to talk about bad scouting! To me that shouldn’t be happening with teams at the bottom. I can tell you Anaheim had a lot of good young talent. Just goes to show you how good their scouting department is. 

The problem is too many Thursday games.

Buffalo Sabres Stats @SabresStats 22m22 minutes ago

Want a little bit of good news for the #SabresBuffaloSabresNHL.png next game? It’s not on a Thursday! So far this season, BUF is 0-3 on Thursdays and have been outscored 15-2!! ? On every other day of the week they are 3-1 and have outscored their opponents 11-7.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

The problem is too many Thursday games.

Buffalo Sabres Stats @SabresStats 22m22 minutes ago

Want a little bit of good news for the #SabresBuffaloSabresNHL.png next game? It’s not on a Thursday! So far this season, BUF is 0-3 on Thursdays and have been outscored 15-2!! ? On every other day of the week they are 3-1 and have outscored their opponents 11-7.

3 straight weeks of Thursday games coming up. MTL, OTT, MTL. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.