Scott Wilson Signed Two Years 1.05 AAV

Brawndo

Moves like this are fine since they're on the cheap... role player for a low cost... but this signing looks much better if coupled with a "splashy" impact signing/trade or two. Hopefully that comes later.

Who is left? Neal is about it and he will be at least $7 million for 5 years

Toronto signs a 1C to go with their 1C.

Buffalo signs a 13 forward

I look forward to the playoffs

I can't argue with this logic. We've been awful for almost a decade. Other than lucking into Dahlin, we're making moves (thus far) that don't exactly fire up the fan base.

Since last season the Sabres added a top 4 D in Dahlin. A top 6 foward in Mittelstadt and improved their goaltending.

Tor added J.T., but what gave they done about their terrible D?

Toronto's D is not terrible. They have a nice collection of top-4 players, even if none of them are a cornerstone stud.

Toronto's D is not terrible. They have a nice collection of top-4 players, even if none of them are a cornerstone stud.

Good puck movers but terrible in their own end.

I also edited my earlier post because we added two top 6 forwards in Mittelstadt and Sheary.

Also serious question. They added J.T. but who are they going to lose to stay under the cap?

I also edited my earlier post because we added two top 6 forwards in Mittelstadt and Sheary.

Also serious question. They added J.T. but who are they going to lose to stay under the cap?

Nobody this season. JVR and Bozak off the books covered almost all of the Tavares contract. Cap Friendly continues to be down, but I think they had like $24 million in space heading into today.

Toronto is a playoff team and we've been dead last in the NHL 3 of the past 5 seasons. I can't badmouth their player personnel moves when our haven't gotten us anywhere. The best players we "added" were high draft picks that we acquired from sucking so badly. Any of us on this board could have made those draft picks. I'm looking for a bit more from my GM. Thus far I see Darcy Regier 2.0. Very harsh, but I'm of the opinion that Botterill still needs to prove himself.

*end of rant*

Toronto is a playoff team and we've been dead last in the NHL 3 of the past 5 seasons. I can't badmouth their player personnel moves when our haven't gotten us anywhere. The best players we "added" were high draft picks that we acquired from sucking so badly. Any of us on this board could have made those draft picks. I'm looking for a bit more from my GM. Thus far I see Darcy Regier 2.0. Very harsh, but I'm of the opinion that Botterill still needs to prove himself.

*end of rant*

Completely agree except I reserve my right to badmouth other teams regardless of how bad mine is :P

What are the numbers? Where do they rank in goals against, ES goals against, shot attempts allowed, expected goals against, high danger chances against? This would help me learn how good or bad Toronto is at D

Eyeball the player usage charts.  Thesee give a useful tool for statistically evaluating individual performance (not necessarily team performance).  Filter to Toronto defensemen.  Only Morgan Reilly is carrying his weight.  Gardiner is doing ok, sort of.  Hainsey and Zaitsev are being leaned on, and not doing well.  Dermott, Borgman, and Carrick are sheltered AF, so even though they're doing alright, they're not making an impact.

Compare to Buffalo D.  Scandella and Risto are taking almost all of the heavy work load and doing almost ok, but definitely not good.   Because of their usage, almost everyone else is playing against easier competition.  Some of them do ok with that assignment: Bogosian, Guhle, McCabe, Beaulieu, even Antipin, but they don't make as big of an impact as Scandella and Risto.  Falk, Gorges, Tennyson: these guys are bad.  We need a legit top 4 D, probably top 2 D, that can eat minutes against the hardest competition and flourish.  If Dahlin can do that eventually, wonderful.  Otherwise, Scandella and Risto are going to drown.

Also Leafs suck.

Eyeball the player usage charts. Thesee give a useful tool for statistically evaluating individual performance (not necessarily team performance). Filter to Toronto defensemen. Only Morgan Reilly is carrying his weight. Gardiner is doing ok, sort of. Hainsey and Zaitsev are being leaned on, and not doing well. Dermott, Borgman, and Carrick are sheltered AF, so even though they're doing alright, they're not making an impact.

Compare to Buffalo D. Scandella and Risto are taking almost all of the heavy work load and doing almost ok, but definitely not good. Because of their usage, almost everyone else is playing against easier competition. Some of them do ok with that assignment: Bogosian, Guhle, McCabe, Beaulieu, even Antipin, but they don't make as big of an impact as Scandella and Risto. Falk, Gorges, Tennyson: these guys are bad. We need a legit top 4 D, probably top 2 D, that can eat minutes against the hardest competition and flourish. If Dahlin can do that eventually, wonderful. Otherwise, Scandella and Risto are going to drown.

Also Leafs suck.

I have that site bookmarked , I just wish they had a better stat on the y-axis, I haven't read good things about QOC.

I have that site bookmarked , I just wish they had a better stat on the y-axis, I haven't read good things about QOC.

Then I'm preachin' to the choir.  Yeah, there could be better ways too look at things.  QOC is an accurate stat, I believe, but it's the loose interpretation of what's going on on the ice and how sensitive it is to coaching game-by-game tactical moves that makes it fudgy.

Toronto signs a 1C to go with their 1C.

Buffalo signs a 13 forward

I look forward to the playoffs

Who is left? Neal is about it and he will be at least $7 million for 5 years

I can't argue with this logic. We've been awful for almost a decade. Other than lucking into Dahlin, we're making moves (thus far) that don't exactly fire up the fan base.

Since last season the Sabres added a top 4 D in Dahlin. A top 6 foward in Mittelstadt, another top 6 forward invSheary and improved their goaltending.

Tor added J.T., but what gave they done about their terrible D?

Was their D terrible or was it just not top 3 like their offense? Serious question.

Nobody this season. JVR and Bozak off the books covered almost all of the Tavares contract. Cap Friendly continues to be down, but I think they had like $24 million in space heading into today.

14 of 23 comments are not on topic.  Come one people, let Wilson have his thread and start your anther if you want to bitch about the Leafs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.