2 hours ago, Hoss said:

"....sniping winger Alex Nylander."  

stopped reading after that.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

"....sniping winger Alex Nylander."  

stopped reading after that.

Agree on that point. But....

Our pipeline is pretty deep finally, even excluding Mittelstadt and Dahlin

At forward you have the following guys with legit NHL potential; Asplund, Davidsson, Pu, Olofsson, Nylander, and Smith (plus Bailey and Baptiste) and guys who may develop  into NHLers in Pekar, Weissbach, Malone and Oglevie.

on Defense: Guhle, Hickey, Pilut, Borgen, and Samuelsson stand out as legit potential NHLers plus possibly players like Laaksonen, Bryson and Fitzgerald

in Goal UPL is on track and so might be Johannsson. 

That is a whole team of farm to table depth.  If just 50% of these guys work out, the Sabres are in good shape for the next decade.  

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Would the Sabres still have the best pool in the league if their only prospect was Rasmus Dahlin?

I'm tempted to say yes, or close to, as Dahlin is by all acounts the consensus #1 NHL prospect, far and away. 

2 hours ago, shrader said:

It drops off pretty quickly considering that the top two guys on the list won't qualify as prospects anymore after this season, using the criteria they outline.  I suppose #4 Guhle could fall of too if things go well for him this year.

That's true, but often these prospect lists in general include young NHLers, in which case the Sabres should find themselves at or near the top of these lists for a good while.

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Petersson is close to Dahlin and probably wins the Calder.

Don't you think Dahlin is the next Karlsson or better? Who's Petersson in that case, Forsberg?

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Same. I think over the long run Dahlin edges him, but Petersson is winning the Calder this year

I think it was True Hoss who mentioned that the last D-man to go 1st overall, Ekblad, won the Calder, which makes me not count out Dahlin.

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Don't you think Dahlin is the next Karlsson or better? Who's Petersson in that case, Forsberg?

I think it was True who mentioned that the last D-man to go 1st overall, Ekblad, won the Calder, which makes me not count out Dahlin.

It's not Dahlin, it's Petersson. The kid is an absolute mega star

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

It's not Dahlin, it's Petersson. The kid is an absolute mega star

Not saying you aren't correct, but most prospect lists I've seen out there have Dahlin in a tier by himself. Including the recent Scott Wheeler ranking for the Athletic. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Not saying you aren't correct, but most prospect lists I've seen out there have Dahlin in a tier by himself. Including the recent Scott Wheeler ranking for the Athletic. 

Yeah, he probably is. Pettersson is a year older though, and it's easier to adjust as a forward than a defender in the NHL

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Yeah, he probably is. Pettersson is a year older though, and it's easier to adjust as a forward than a defender in the NHL

Oh ya. For the Calder I'd say Pettersson is potentially or even likely the favourite. The Calder is whatever, though. The best players often don't win it. 

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Oh ya. For the Calder I'd say Pettersson is potentially or even likely the favourite. The Calder is whatever, though. The best players often don't win it. 

This seems like some attempt to discredit Elias but he's really good. 

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yea, Dahlin is head and shoulders above everyone. And Pettersson is head and shoulders above anyone after him. Then you could argue Mittelstadt is next on the list or very close to it.

27 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yea, Dahlin is head and shoulders above everyone. And Pettersson is head and shoulders above anyone after him. Then you could argue Mittelstadt is next on the list or very close to it.

IMO on a different team, Dahlin is Calder material.     I just don't see an 18 year old on a 31st place team putting up the numbers.    Mittlestadt... depends how much time he gets on PP1, and if he gets top 6 minutes.    He could be in the mix.     

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This seems like some attempt to discredit Elias but he's really good. 

Ya, no. 

It's an attempt to point out a fact about the Calder and why I don't worry about it.

Edited by Thorny

Sorry @Doohickie.  The gist is Samuelsson was highly reliable, Laaksonen played with great tempo and UPL was very focused. All look poised to make their teams this winter.

I’ll stop posting Athletic links if they bother people. I have no problem paying for thoughtful unique content and have found the Athletic worth the subscription.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sorry @Doohickie.  The gist is Samuelsson was highly reliable, Laaksonen played with great tempo and UPL was very focused. All look poised to make their teams this winter.

I’ll stop posting Athletic links if they bother people. I have no problem paying for thoughtful unique content and have found the Athletic worth the subscription.

I normally hate pay walls also but this one is worth the price @Doohickie, a lot of really good stuff and not just Sabre/Bills related. I signed up for the Buffalo Star also and that was a waste of money, they've been a real downer. If The Athletic was poor also, that would have been my last time paying for stuff but I find my self reading articles almost 4-5 days a week. Vogl, Yerdon, Baker and Stimson have put out some great stuff on the Sabres too.

Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No, no problem with posting links.  If I want to read that I should probably pony up.

(And I might do just that)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.