2018 - 2019 Sabres Prospects

GASabresIUFAN

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

So with regards to Murray, I guess that means the Sabres have 30 days to sign him or they lose his rights?

I'm too lazy to look up his info.  Basically, with college guys, they retain the rights for 3 or 4 years depending on age and when they entered school.  So they still have at least one more year left with him.

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m sorry, Kris Baker said he is a grad transfer at BU not BC.  My bad.  This makes more sense since he is a Sabres prospect.

That mix up always drives us mad.  We don't like being called a school that sucks (let's see if someone takes the bait).

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm too lazy to look up his info.  Basically, with college guys, they retain the rights for 3 or 4 years depending on age and when they entered school.  So they still have at least one more year left with him.

That mix up always drives us mad.  We don't like being called a school that sucks (let's see if someone takes the bait).

Why does Murray's status even matter.  He will never play for the Sabres or any other NHL team.  

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why does Murray's status even matter.  He will never play for the Sabres or any other NHL team.  

He asked.  The morale of the story is that the days of Mike Van Ryn speeding up his free agency rights by jumping to major junior are gone.  Yeah, not an issue here, but it's still useful information.

Doesn't the official rule state that with regards to NCAA players, teams have 30 days to sign them after they decide to leave school?

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-the-nhl-draft-works-2779285

"NCAA players are an exception: NHL teams retain the rights to a college player until 30 days after the player has left college."

...that is what I keep reading. But maybe a player has to be in college for a minimum amount of time before that 30 day rule goes into effect.

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Doesn't the official rule state that with regards to NCAA players, teams have 30 days to sign them after they decide to leave school?

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-the-nhl-draft-works-2779285

"NCAA players are an exception: NHL teams retain the rights to a college player until 30 days after the player has left college."

...that is what I keep reading. But maybe a player has to be in college for a minimum amount of time before that 30 day rule goes into effect.

8.6c says we retain his rights if he leaves before graduation until the 4th June 1 following his draft or 30 days after leaving school, whichever is later.  If I’m reading this correctly, he is our property until 6/1/2020.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Pronman puts the Montreal Canadiens as the 6th best Farm System in the NHL... I liked there 2018 draft but 6th best, maybe after the 2019 draft when they draft in the top 3 again but they wouldn't be in my top 10. There is too much ??? in that pool compared to others. Listing Kotkoniemi as an elite prospect is odd considering I think Kotkoniemi has some skating things to work out first. My favorite comment from the comments section is someone saying Noah Juulsen can be a #2 defender, nope. 

https://theathletic.com/480910/2018/08/24/nhl-farm-system-rankings-no-6-montreal-canadiens/

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Pronman puts the Montreal Canadiens as the 6th best Farm System in the NHL... I liked there 2018 draft but 6th best, maybe after the 2019 draft when they draft in the top 3 again but they wouldn't be in my top 10. There is too much ??? in that pool compared to others. Listing Kotkoniemi as an elite prospect is odd considering I think Kotkoniemi has some skating things to work out first. My favorite comment from the comments section is someone saying Noah Juulsen can be a #2 defender, nope. 

https://theathletic.com/480910/2018/08/24/nhl-farm-system-rankings-no-6-montreal-canadiens/

It’s one man’s (informed) opinion, but it sure has been an interesting series. Ive been counting down the days to when we are unveiled as number one and @Weave won’t be able to contain his excitement ?

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s one man’s (informed) opinion, but it sure has been an interesting series. Ive been counting down the days to when we are unveiled as number one and @Weave won’t be able to contain his excitement ?

Good thing you said me and not Randall.  He’s not ready to admit he’s me yet.

Last Friday, NHL Network released its list of the Top 50 NHL Prospects. Best 25-and-under players with fewer than 25 NHL games played is the criteria. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-tonight-lists-best-prospects-on-way-to-nhl/c-299890068

Dahlin claims the top spot, the Sabres have 2 players in the top 5, and Alex Nylander finds a spot on this list as well. 

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Barrie Colts make Pekar’s Signing Official 

So how does this affect his rights held by the Sabres? He was headed to College originally, but with Pekar now going to the OHL, is it now for 2 years post-draft that his rights are maintained? Or is it 4 years from being drafted since he came out of the USHL? Can never remember..

Speaking of Sabres prospects:

With Murray headed back to College after playing the upcoming season in the USHL, he'll be Sabres property for the foreseeable future. Certainly very much a long-shot. 

Edited by Thorny

How do we know Pekar’s move, like UPLs, wasn’t approved by Jbot?  Pekar made a great impression on Jbot in D Camp and is on our prospect challenge roster.  Sounds like Jbot wants to keep a close eye on him this season and if he continues to impress sign him this next off-season.

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So how does this affect his rights held by the Sabres? He was headed to College originally, but with Pekar now going to the OHL, is it now for 2 years post-draft that his rights are maintained? Or is it 4 years from being drafted since he came out of the USHL? Can never remember..

It is determined based on your status at the time you are drafted.  Going to major junior now does not change anything.

• Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, shrader said:

It is determined based on your status at the time you are drafted.  Going to major junior now does not change anything.

Makes sense.

Although in the case of a player like Brett Murray, who is going back the USHL this year, I suppose his rights are in effect basically extended by a year by doing so, assuming he follows the stated plan of him heading to the University of Miami for the remaining two years of his college eligibility, after his USHL year this upcoming season. 

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Makes sense.

Although in the case of a player like Brett Murray, who is going back the USHL this year, I suppose his rights are in effect basically extended by a year by doing so, assuming he follows the stated plan of him heading to the University of Miami for the remaining two years of his college eligibility, after his USHL year this upcoming season. 

The rights for college players are tied into whatever class/year they are in when they are drafted.  The only way it would give the Sabres more time with his rights is if he does stay in school that whole time.  There is a set cutoff for every one of these players where if they want to become a free agent, they can.  If Murray suddenly become a worthwhile prospect, he could leave school right at the three or four year mark (depending on his age when drafted, too lazy to look it up) and become a free agent by a specific date.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

The rights for college players are tied into whatever class/year they are in when they are drafted.  The only way it would give the Sabres more time with his rights is if he does stay in school that whole time.  There is a set cutoff for every one of these players where if they want to become a free agent, they can.  If Murray suddenly become a worthwhile prospect, he could leave school right at the three or four year mark (depending on his age when drafted, too lazy to look it up) and become a free agent by a specific date.

I believe the rule is that his rights are maintained until the later of the 4th June 1 post draft (so, in his case, June 1, 2020), or 30 days after leaving school. 

So even if he declared his intention to be done with college after his 3rd year post draft, he'd have to wait until June 1, 2020 to be a FA.

At least that's what I gather from the CBA lingo laid out in this article: https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013/6/7/4404684/nhl-cba-college-loophole-ncaa-change

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.