McKenzie:Lehner won’t be qualified

dudacek

From Bob’s Twitter, some expected news

“BUF is not expected to give goaltender Robin Lehner his qualifying offer and he should be added to the list of UFA goalies available this summer as Sabres are likely to look elsewhere for a partner for Linus Ullmark”

Edited by dudacek

The only thing Lehner has proven is that he cant stop a puck in a shootout if the fate of the world hung in the balance.  In the current NHL, that means he CANNOT be a starting goaltender.  He's not worth 4M as a backup.  Hence, no qualifying offer.

He had two SO losses last year ( 2 lost points). Chad Johnson went 12 games without a win, and Ullmark is unproven. 

Is this really about two points?

2.58 GAA with a .910 save % in the A this year.  and he's 24 at the start of the year. Meh.

I don't get LA as the choice though, he's not passing Quick on the depth chart any time soon.

How many over his career in Buffalo?

Point being if you are a borderline playoff team you are going to play a lot of close games and ultimately get to a lot of shootuts.  If you give away all of those points you have no shot.  None. 

He was 1-8 in his tenure with the Sabres. Let's assume he's a decent SO goalie and that record is 5-4. He's lost a total of 4 points in three years. 

You and I disagree. Those four points aren't worth putting all your eggs in the Ullmark basket with no quality backup in sight. Borderline playoff team? If Ullmark doesn't pan out this won't be a borderline playoff team. If Ullmark gets hurt, this won't be a borderline playoff team. 

I just think you don't go making a move like this unless you have proven talent to replace them him with. That goes for starter and backup, and preferably your 3rd stringer. If you go to ESPN, Chad Johnson is 2nd last in save percentage last year. Is that supposed to be our backup? 

Very risky move. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

He was 1-8 in his tenure with the Sabres. Let's assume he's a decent SO goalie and that record is 5-4. He's lost a total of 4 points in three years.

You and I disagree. Those four points aren't worth putting all your eggs in the Ullmark basket with no quality backup in sight. Borderline playoff team? If Ullmark doesn't pan out this won't be a borderline playoff team. If Ullmark gets hurt, this won't be a borderline playoff team.

I just think you don't go making a move like this unless you have proven talent to replace them him with. That goes for starter and backup, and preferably your 3rd stringer.

Very risky move.

They aren't putting all their eggs in the Ullmark basket. He'll compete with a good tender for the starting job.

Leaner is bad. There’s really no other conclusion one may come to having actually watched him play every game on his Sabres tenure.

Looking at his stats from two years ago as opposed to last year is a nonsense. Under Disco’s “Let’s give the puck away constantly but make up for it by enticing the opponent to take low-percentage shots” regime, his numbers were highly inflated. His shootout incompetence and penchant for coming up small in big moments over and over and over... not a coincidence. So when Housley and his “I know you guys suck but let’s play hockey anyway” exposed him further, the results were predictable.

Good luck in the KHL this coming season, Robin.

Lehner was a major contributor to the room’s dysfunction, that’s addition by subtraction.

I would want Lehner gone on the merits of his play alone, but this is just as important. We need strong and positive leadership in that room right now. His schtick could maybe go over if he was good and in a strong room, but it doesn't help anything now. 

Who are they going to sign, Cam Ward?

Certainly a better option than Ullmark or Johnson at this point. 

A UFA option could be Bernier, who put up better numbers than Lehner did. There are trade options as well. Lehner's numbers tanked despite team shots, chances, high danger chances all going down from the previous year, some by a significant amount (we were top 6 in the league in shot attempts against this season and in the top half in scoring chances allowed). Lehner talks about conspiracy theories instead of understanding that he needs to be better. Lehner consistently loses focus and allows inopportune goals at the most critical moments. He's dreadful and the team is right to move on. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.