Official Trade Tracker Summer 2018

Brawndo

I'll say it again: Botterill has made third overall (and likely Tkachuk) his Plan A.

He has had solid conversations (and perhaps offers) from Don Waddell, Doug Armstrong, Paul Fenton and Ron Hextall.

If Bergevin steps up to the podium at number 3, he ain't getting O'Reilly.

He has another 10 or so hours. If he blinks JBot wins.

If he doesn't JBot hasn't lost anything.

I really like the way our rookie GM appears to be handling this.

So....are we happy with basically a straight up trade of Brady Tkachuk for Ryan O'Reilly? 

I'm not sure.  Contractually it's a clear yes but it'll be another 2-3 years before Tkachuk has the impact of O'Reilly today.  On the flip side, O'Reilly ain't getting any younger and this Sabres team is likely still 3 years away from any meaningful run.

So....are we happy with basically a straight up trade of Brady Tkachuk for Ryan O'Reilly? 

This is why I can't understand all the angst over 3. Its not like we are talking John Tavares here.

That said, I bet Bergevin doesn't make the move and we move on to other — hopefully slightly older — targets.

I want nothing to do with Tkachuck no matter what happens

This is why I can't understand all the angst over 3. Its not like we are talking John Tavares here.

That said, I bet Bergevin doesn't make the move and we move on to other — hopefully slightly older — targets.

I just don't understand why he'd keep that pick. Price and Weber are running out of time, and he himself needs to win now or he's out of a job. Why keep that pick and let whoever is your successor enjoy the benefits? 

I want nothing to do with Tkachuck no matter what happens

I just don't understand why he'd keep that pick. Price and Weber are running out of time, and he himself needs to win now or he's out of a job. Why keep that pick and let whoever is your successor enjoy the benefits? 

Agree. If he has to keep Price and Weber and he wants to keep his job, he should make the trade.

They have space to fill holes with free agents.

WHY?  All this "ROR is the locker room problem" talk is pure speculation.  If you really believe the bolded is true, you don't have a clue.

Speaking of speculation... don't we have a thread for all of this?  This is the actual trade tracker right?  :)  BTW.. I'm not pointing at you.. just using your use of speculation to point this out.

Do they still do 'cash considerations' like they use to in the past.  Could a deal get done today with the agreement Buffalo would pay the bonus on July 1?

I was wondering that same thing. Seems like I've seen deals in the past for players plus cash.

Thanks. So does that mean the Sabres could trade ROR and retain salary of what he's got coming on July 1st.

I would think it would be a cap hit for the Sabres.  It may make more sense to wait until after that July 1 payment and find out exactly what Tavares does before moving him.  May open up some teams like San Jose or St. Louis at that point.

Darren Dreger is on the Instigators now. Says things slow and he's not talking like anything significant is at all imminent. I'm wondering if media needs something to perk interest and at the end of the day nothing big is done. That's okay with me as I'm cool on trading any of our top guys and fine with moving depth for other depth guys. Would like to get veteran goalie.

I would think it would be a cap hit for the Sabres.  It may make more sense to wait until after that July 1 payment and find out exactly what Tavares does before moving him.  May open up some teams like San Jose or St. Louis at that point.

This is probably just as important as the $7.5M bonus.  Teams in the running for Tavares won't be in the pool for ROR until Tavares signs with someone else.  Once they are no longer in the pool for Taveres, they may be suitors for ROR, thus increasing his value (increased demand due to decreased supply of top centers).

I'm not sure. Contractually it's a clear yes but it'll be another 2-3 years before Tkachuk has the impact of O'Reilly today. On the flip side, O'Reilly ain't getting any younger and this Sabres team is likely still 3 years away from any meaningful run.

I sure as hell hope not. That'd be an awful trade.

I'm not sure.  Contractually it's a clear yes but it'll be another 2-3 years before Tkachuk has the impact of O'Reilly today.  On the flip side, O'Reilly ain't getting any younger and this Sabres team is likely still 3 years away from any meaningful run.

I would love to see this.  Tkachuk may or may not have the speed to keep up with Jack, but you really need this kind of player in post season.  We have too many "soft" players which may get you into the playoffs during the regular season, but not enough to prevail in post season. 

I would love to see this.  Tkachuk may or may not have the speed to keep up with Jack, but you really need this kind of player in post season.  We have too many "soft" players which may get you into the playoffs during the regular season, but not enough to prevail in post season. 

If you believe that, that's fine. But Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves weren't drafted at 3rd overall; you can get the player you're describing for much, much less

If you believe that, that's fine. But Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves weren't drafted at 3rd overall; you can get the player you're describing for much, much less

Brady tkachuk is a helluvalot better hockey player than Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves.

You're looking at Wayne Simmonds, peak Scott hartnell, or, if you're real lucky, his daddy, Keith.

Edited by dudacek

Bruady tkachuk is a helluvalot better hockey player than Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves.

You're looking at Wayne Simmonds, peak Scott hartnell, or, if you're real lucky, his daddy, Keith.

Is he though? To me the possibility he becomes a 3rd liner is a lot higher than him becoming a Wayne Simmonds or peak Hartnell

Is he though? To me the possibility he becomes a 3rd liner is a lot higher than him becoming a Wayne Simmonds or peak Hartnell

Why do you think that?

The best guys like that get picked in the late teens.

McKenzie says in his scout survey, he was in every top five.

Guy's not just a brute. He's got great hockey sense and more skill than some are giving him credit for.

Just remember, Oliver Wahlstrom has drastically outscored Brady Tkachuk at the same age in the same league. Food for thought. 

Wahlstrom should be a better goal scorer than Tkachuk.

It's a case of who do like better: Simmonds or Skinner?

Why do you think that?

The best guys like that get picked in the late teens.

McKenzie says in his scout survey, he was in every top five.

Guy's not just a brute. He's got great hockey sense and more skill than some are giving him credit for.

Maybe I am wrong, but he seems like a guy that is fast and big and has used that to play very well against smaller kids. Even then he really hasn't exactly dominated; Wahlstrom blew him outta the water in the same league

USDP seasons for the two

Wahlstrom -> 48-46-94

Tkachuck -> 25-29-54

Maybe I am wrong, but he seems like a guy that is fast and big and has used that to play very well against smaller kids. Even then he really hasn't exactly dominated; Wahlstrom blew him outta the ###### water in the same league

USDP seasons for the two

Wahlstrom -> 48-46-94

Tkachuck -> 25-29-54

Oof. What are their games played? 

Jack Hughes factor?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.