Reinhart vs RoR: Who do you value more?

WildCard

Battle of Reinos   

46 members have voted

1. 1. Reinhart vs RoR

• Reinhart
    • O'Reilly

Let us debate

Not even a little bit. ROR is closer to Bergeron than he is to Reinhart by a fair amount. Every ounce of underlying stats shows that his production stands to increase as the team gets more talented around him, and even WITH that fact he put up 61 points in the most bizarrely tough usage situation I've ever seen a forward go through. He had more defensive zone starts per game than any player since the stat has been tracked, won more faceoffs than any player in the history of the league, and is ferociously smart and tenacious defensively, while also being our second best offensive player by a large margin. Reinhart's chores on the ice were cake compared to ROR and he still barely crept up to 50 points on the last day of the season. 

People get on ROR's contract while forgetting the cap raising. Matthews is about to get 12 million. Kane just got essentially ROR's deal. Johansen is worse than ROR and signed a year ago for 8 mil a year. That contract is perfect now and is going to be a steal in a year. He's got 5 years left, and his game doesn't rely on speed and physicality, it relies on his brain, which means there's a great chance that he's the exact same player 5 years from now when it ends. If we get our head out of our ass and play him as any great coach would, like the 2nd best offensive piece on an offensively starved team, with a dash of Quenneville-creativity to also make use of his defensive abilities, or like Bergeron with a stacked top line, he could easily be a 70 point Selke winner. He is coaching tweaks from winning the Selke. Reinhart is a disaster at center, and a nice cerebral wing who is coming off of a 50 point career-high season. 

ROR has more value and it isn't really close. 5 years of guaranteed elite two way play and very good offense from the most important position on the ice has more value than potential, especially low-ceiling potential from a 22 year old in the case of Reinhart.

Fans have been sold hope based on the kids by bad teams for so long they are blinded by shiny new toys and what players could be.
NHL GMs care about two things: winning the cup and keeping their jobs.

For any contender, of course O’Reilly is better than Reinhart.

I laugh at the Blues fans who are dead-set against trading Robert Thomas for O’Reiily.
Really? Thomas’s ceiling is O’Reilly and there is a fairly decent chance he never hits that.

If he does, it will be four or five years from now, when the window of your Tarasenko/Schwartz/Pietrangelo core is closing.
If I was a Blues fan, I would be salivating at a chance to acquire the player the stature and age of O’Reilly to fill my biggest need without giving up a roster player from my pretty good team.

Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn are very good players and Mike Richards is out of hockey.
The LA Kings do not regret that trade for one second.

He's also a lot younger, faster, and could easily become RoR. He's already been more consistent than RoR was at this point in his career. Saying he can't play center and implying he therefore may never will is just a bananas take. Or maybe you weren't implying that, but he's not limited to what you call a cerebral winger

Is he better now for a contender? Sure. For a team like us? Reinhart has more value

Edited by WildCard

Right now?  ROR. 

For the future?  Reino.

Best value?  Reino.

I think they're both good players and I like to think JBot won't trade either of them just to "shake up the core."  If either of them go, I want to be impressed with the return.  Otherwise, hang onto both for the time being.

Right now?  ROR. 

For the future?  Reino.

Best value?  Reino.

I think they're both good players and I like to think JBot won't trade either of them just to "shake up the core."  If either of them go, I want to be impressed with the return.  Otherwise, hang onto both for the time being.

+1. You saved me some typing.

Well I do like Reinhart, ROR is the better player.

Right now sure. But you get to keep one for 5 years, how do you go with?

Who's better: RoR

Who would I be more keen on trading: RoR

Same. I value Reinhart more for our team specifically though

Depends on the return? I am not for throughing out the baby with the bath water... more about developing. If those two are considered good pieces which I think as a developing team they are. Both bring very different things to the table and probably need to think about what happens should one be subtracted. Sabres are not good enough on offense to be subtracting top six talent. Until others step up at their level, Im not for trading either or comparing.

Reinart more.

Younger, cheaper.

They are both slow though, both have little transition game, and both rely on the power play for more of their goals/points than a typical NHL player.  Neither are guys I think of as legit top line or great 2nd line guys. But, if I have to choose the one I prefer, it is Reinhart.

Then go to a different thread?

I'd rather advocate for keeping both players.

Depends on the return? I am not for throughing out the baby with the bath water... more about developing. If those two are considered good pieces which I think as a developing team they are. Both bring very different things to the table and probably need to think about what happens should one be subtracted. Sabres are not good enough on offense to be subtracting top six talent. Until others step up at their level, Im not for trading either or comparing.

This.

What if you think about the question this way:  Team X offers a really good package for either Reino or ROR, with the Sabres choosing whom to part with?  Which one do you keep?

I'd keep ROR, but it's not a slam dunk.

It would depend on what's in the package.  If there's a replacement center or right wing, that will tilt it.  If it's only defense.... don't know.

Guys I love this place but I feel like this concept really isn't that hard. Like Freeman said you get the same deal for Reinhart or RoR, who do you keep

Depends though. ROR is easily worth more than Reinhart. So if someone is offering me the same deal for Reinhart that I would accept for O'Reilly, then I'm obviously trading Reinhart because someone has decided to massively overpay for him.

Depends though. ROR is easily worth more than Reinhart. So if someone is offering me the same deal for Reinhart that I would accept for O'Reilly, then I'm obviously trading Reinhart because someone has decided to massively overpay for him.

I don't think RoR is necessarily going to fetch you a bigger package. A cap floor team looking for cost controlled youth, like the Hurricanes, would probably prefer Reinhart

I don't think RoR is necessarily going to fetch you a bigger package. A cap floor team looking for cost controlled youth, like the Hurricanes, would probably prefer Reinhart

There's no way anyone is paying for Reinhart what they would pay for O'Reilly. I like Reinhart, but if someone is offering me anywhere close to O'Reilly's return I'm taking that trade and laughing all the way home.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.