Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

If ROR is indeed traded, I do not expect it to be a dumb trade, but I expect a heavy majority of the posts here indicate unhappiness with the return.

It’s going to be a trade for futures and prospects. Botterill has his timeline, and it’s not favourable to the “complete for the playoffs next season” line of thinking.

The trade of ROR around the time we draft Dahlin will almost perfectly mirror the trade FOR O’Reilly around the time we picked Eichel. Perfectly contrasting the difference between GMTM and GMJB. Murray attempted to win then, Botterill is going to attempt to play the long game.

I just hope the currency paid, Prime Years of Jack Eichel, will have been worth it all.

Edited by Thorny

Why does ROR have to be moved for the team to be Jack’s?

I’m sure the team Jack wants handed to him comes complete with a capable 2C.

Two months ago everybody was talking about a divided room and fixing the chemistry.

Botterill said “what we have is not working.” And pledged to make changes.

People on here put it on Botterill to figure out what was wrong with this team and fix it.

Maybe that is exactly what he is doing.

If ROR is indeed traded, I do not expect it to be a dumb trade, but I expect a heavy majority of the posts here indicate unhappiness with the return.

Word. Edited by dudacek

Two months ago everybody was talking about a divided room and fixing the chemistry.

Botterill said “what we have is not working.” And pledged to make changes.

People on here put it on a Botterill to figure out what was wrong with this team and fix it.

Maybe that is exactly what he is doing.

Word.

Could be, and in that case it would be hard to take issue with the trade.

Two months ago I broke down how ROR, Jack, Sam, and even Kyle and Kane had their best ever seasons as Sabres players at ES and/or in general, while the Sabres simultaneously got dozens of goals worse from their depth at the time.

Pretending locker room clean out quotes are as important as building a team around 3 good forwards like any other team that becomes good does is a great way to not get better now or in the foreseeable future.

This is all built on the stipulation that we don't get two proven pieces back, which appears as if it would be the case.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Two months ago I broke down how ROR, Jack, Sam, and even Kyle and Kane had their best ever seasons as Sabres players at ES and/or in general, while the Sabres simultaneously got dozens of goals worse from their depth at the time.

Pretending locker room clean out quotes are as important as building a team around 3 good forwards like any other team that becomes good does is a great way to not get better now or in the foreseeable future.This is all built on the stipulation that we don't get two proven pieces back, which appears as if it would be the case.

It’s scary then - in the sense that, if ROR gets traded, is your faith in Botterill shaken?

There still could be other causes. O’Reilly could have quietly requested a trade, for one.

One may have a rooting interest in keeping that kind of attitude away from Jack, perhaps. Should that factor in? Does winning cure that too?

Edited by Thorny

It’s scary then - in the sense that, if ROR gets traded, is your faith in Botterill shaken?

There still could be other causes. O’Reilly could have quietly requested a trade, for one.

One may have a routing interest in keeping that kind of attitude away from Jack, perhaps. Should that factor in? Does winning cure that too?

My faith in Botterill has been shaken since October to be honest

Maybe rightfully so.  Some, including I, believe the return has to be bonkers to be worth moving ROR out.  What can Botterill seriously get in return that makes this team better and not worse, and doesn't continue to leverage the now for the future.  Any deal for a package makes this team worse.  Any deal for a good prospect makes this team worse.  Is Botterill going to piss away ROR just to fill Kane's spot?  Just to break even, it'd have to be one of the 30 best defensemen in the league or a top pair D and a starting goalie, and even if he does that, there's no guarantee we can score enough to win next year, because between ROR and Kane we've just removed 44 goals from an NHL-low 198 goals for.

It's an easy recipe for dissatisfaction.

Am I the only one that doesn't want Pacioretty? 

On the last year of his deal and he's already 29, why would we want to get older and also pay him a premium as he turns 30?

I don’t remember anyone but me posting in favour of Pacioretty. Most people feel exactly the same way you do.

And to be clear, I am not interested in him as a return for O’Reilly.

I think he’s worth a late first. Id trade that value for him to help us this year, then flip him for similar value at the deadline unless he’s amenable to a discount contract.

We are desperate for left wingers and goal scorers. He is one of the league’s best-scoring left-wingers and would produce a ton with Jack playing for UFA contract.

Apparently Harrington doesn't think that ROR is getting traded, he thinks that all the trade rumors were fabricated by Canadian media. Not sure if he'd actually know but I hope he's right.

Wait a minute. Harrington is accusing professional journalists of fabricating? But they have degrees!

Ask yourself: who is more plugged in: Harrington, or McKenzie, Friedman and Lebrun?

*raises hand*

I'll gladly take Pacioretty for a rental year if the price is right. I understand he had a really bad season, but he also just had 4 straight years of scoring 30+ goals, and did so in 5 of the 6 before this season. So that's two times in 7 years he *didn't* score 30, and one of those seasons was the lockout year where he had 15 in 44 games, which easily could have been another 30 goal campaign.

I don’t remember anyone but me posting in favour of Pacioretty. Most people feel exactly the same way you do.

I think he’s worth a late first. Id trade that value for him to help us this year, then flip him for similar value at the deadline unless he’s amenable to a discount contract.

We are desperate for left wingers and goal scorers. He is one of the league’s best-scoring left-wingers and would produce a ton with Jack playing for UFA contract.

Wait a minute. Harrington is accusing professional journalists of fabricating? But they have degrees!

Ask yourself: who is more plugged in: Harrington, or McKenzie, Friedman and Lebrun?

Yup. I’d take him, just not for ROR.

I think you guys are right that he’d have a nice season paired up with Jack.

All the bad parts of our team got worse so he wants to fix it by trading the second best part

The bad parts of the team were not meant to get better last year.  You don't sign Josefson, Nolan, Pouliott, etc. if you are trying to get better.  You sign them to put a team on the ice so your younger talent can develop more in the AHL.

The defense was bad, but it did show signs of improvement once some of the younger players had to come up.  

The goaltending was always going to be questionable but the question was answered.  Lehner was not the answer.  The question now is, who will be the answer.

If you believe last season was about anything more than keeping younger players in Rochester while positioning the team to be more successful this year then I understand why you'd have no faith in the GM. 

I am judging Botterill on what he does between now and the start of the season.  If ROR gets traded I'm not going to be too concerned until I can see all the moves combined to see what his intention was for the team.

Im not sure, because I don't know if you remember, but I tore into those guys a couple months ago because they spent 3 months completely fabricating Kane trade stories before admitting that the Sabres got one serious call and it was the day of the trade deadline. They're garbage

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.