Inverted D-Men

WildCard

Alright having a big debate with my buddy. Is it better/worse to invert your defensemen? I.e. if they are a right handed shot, play them as a LHD, and vice-versa. The idea is so they can come up in the offensive zone and cut in to shoot left.

Full disclosure, I think it's the dumbest idea. Yeah you can now cut in and shoot, and you can 1-time it. THAT'S IT. Playing catch in the d-zone with your partner? Way harder. Moving the puck up ice? Way harder. Pinching the puck? WAY HARDER. 

In general yeah, you probably don't want to have them play the opposite side. Lots of times you're forced to, because for a while there were very few available good RHD. 

A few players have found success on their "wrong side" and much prefer it. Hjalmarsson, I believe Daley, and some others I can't think of

The biggest impact is when having to work the puck along the boards.  After that it doesn't make much of a difference except when it comes to one-timers.  At least for cross-ice passes because it's next to impossible to one-time a puck that has to go across your body.

So, if you deal with picking up the puck on the boards in either zone, getting it on the back hand can cause a problem and make it harder to move.

The playing catch piece of it really isn't that big of a deal as players, especially in the NHL, should be able to catch a pass on the backhand easily.  In a lot of cases, if you are playing on the off hand then you put your body between a forechecker and the puck and still play it on your forehand as well.  

Bottom line is I think it boils down to the preference of the player, but since many players are slotted into the left or right by coaches they grow accustomed to playing one side.

I prefer defenders to play their off-hand side and the reason is for offensive zone pinches to maintain possession. If you're playing your off hand side you can use your body to take away the outlet pass on the boards and your stick to cover the outlet up the middle. If you're on your normal side your stick is against the boards and the middle opens up. 

This also works for the defensive zone. If you're transitioning from backwards to forwards skating as a player comes down the wing you use your body to keep the defender to the outside and use your stick to cover up any pass to middle or the point. The only shot you're giving him this way is a tough angle shot as he gets deeper into the zone below the circles. 

I don't think it matters one lick. More and more plays take place these days where guys are facing the "wrong" way that I think the advantages of one over the other have evened out.

Edited by SwampD

The biggest impact is when having to work the puck along the boards.  After that it doesn't make much of a difference except when it comes to one-timers.  At least for cross-ice passes because it's next to impossible to one-time a puck that has to go across your body.

So, if you deal with picking up the puck on the boards in either zone, getting it on the back hand can cause a problem and make it harder to move.

The playing catch piece of it really isn't that big of a deal as players, especially in the NHL, should be able to catch a pass on the backhand easily.  In a lot of cases, if you are playing on the off hand then you put your body between a forechecker and the puck and still play it on your forehand as well.  

Bottom line is I think it boils down to the preference of the player, but since many players are slotted into the left or right by coaches they grow accustomed to playing one side.

Well stated.

And if Dahlin is more comfortable on the RD rather than his strong side; really don't have a problem w/ him staying there. It would allow the Sabres to break up Scandella-Ristolainen towards the end of this season or sometime next year. Based on who the Sabres have, once Dahlin is acclimated to the NHL game and comes into his own (whenever that happens) would rather still have Scandella on the top pairing rather than Ristolainen.

Also, isn't DeHaan a lefty? (Really expect the Sabres to make a play for him.) Even w/out him, there is a bit more of a glut on the LD than the RD. (Pilut, Guhle, & McCabe are all lefties.)

Back in the day alot of D men played their off side.  D men were paired up based on role, side be damned. It has only been in the last 10 years or so that a concerted effort was made to pair players up on the on side.

I'm pretty sure that advanced stats fueled the change to consciously pairing D men on their on side.

IMO, it's a fantastic thing when you have puck possession, and can turn out quite horribly when you don't. The worst is in the ozone watching buddy try to pick up the puck that's wrapped around the boards on his backhand

Often results in a look out pass...

On offhand your back is turned toward a pinching D to receive puck on forehand and you have two choices... turn to the middle to stay on your forehand not a good thing too easy to take away or peek and switch puck to backhand. Either way you need too look out because it is too easy to get nailed. On forehand same side facing out you can let the puck get by you a bit and easier to keep an eye on the defender in front of you and pass to a teamate or just flip clear the puck. More a winger issue but D to D deal easpecially with pucks behind the redline.

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.