Dahlin -> Major Rebuild?

WildCard

According to Friedman, the Sabres are looking at stripping this thing down to the foundation. Now if we get Dahlin that makes it a hell of a lot easier. So I guess the question is, what are the 'studs'/foundation on this team? Who's moving? Does Dahlin mean Risto is gone? Does Svechnikov mean some forward is gone? Personally I think we're going to be shocked at what Botterill does this offseason

Friedman was asked which three teams, in his opinion, need to win this lottery the most.

“Just for those of you who are unaware, Scott sent me that question earlier today so I’d have time to think about it,” began Friedman. “And my initial reaction was all of them. But I know that would be a very lame answer, and I can’t submit that, so here’s what I came up with: I think the three teams in alphabetical order that need it the most are Buffalo, Montreal and Vancouver.”

The Sabres have an 18.5 percent chance of winning the lottery, while the Canadiens are at 9.5 percent.  

“And the reason I picked that was because the Sabres, that’s a great hockey market,” continued Friedman. “It’s not a Canadian market, but it might as well be. And their fans have had a lot of losing lately. A lot of losing. And I think that that is a fantastic fan base that deserves something to cheer about. I think they’re looking at tearing that team down right to the studs. And you know what? If they get Dahlin that makes it easier for them to do."

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-looks-ahead-to-nhl-draft-lottery/

Edited by Jokertecken

That would suck. 

Assuming it doesn't mean TANKING, and just rebuilding (again), if they did it I wouldn't be MAD, because I can't be mad at a coherent plan when it has felt like we haven't had one since the tank ended. It would definitely be hard to watch them next season, but I can't point to any results we've gotten in the last decade to argue that the conclusion is incorrect.

If we did do that, we'd likely have two pieces to build around - Jack and Dahlin.

That would suck. 

Assuming it doesn't mean TANKING, and just rebuilding (again), if they did it I wouldn't be MAD, because I can't be mad at a coherent plan when it has felt like we haven't had one since the tank ended. It would definitely be hard to watch them next season, but I can't point to any results we've gotten in the last decade to argue that the conclusion is incorrect.

Well it could mean trading out talent for different talent. Like a Hamilton <-> RoR trade, instead of a RoR trade for picks

Edited by Jokertecken

Well it could mean trading out talent for different talent. Like a Hamilton <-> RoR trade, instead of a RoR trade for picks

I'm down with that, but "stripping down to studs" is a little ominous and doesn't immediately imply hockey trades to me. 

Full speed ahead with big hockey trades as far as I'm concerned. 

That would suck. 

I think we have to put some faith in J-Bots, which is hard to ask people to do, to find those "value" guys to fill a roster out. Tearing things down to the studs to me means jettisoning everyone except the most important guys in order to try to find a different mix that works. 

I think we have to put some faith in J-Bots, which is hard to ask people to do, to find those "value" guys to fill a roster out. Tearing things down to the studs to me means jettisoning everyone except the most important guys in order to try to find a different mix that works. 

I think this is about right.

Now the questions remain are

1) Which 6-8 guys are the right fit?

2) Who out there could we be targeting?

3) What is turnover rate we could reasonably expect?

4) Can Botterill move guys like Okposo? He's already done it with Moulson and Ennis

I hope the tearing down part is mostly complete. At this point the only guys that are taking up serious cap space that it would benefit us to move out would be Moulson, Pominville (both 1 year remaining), Bogosian (2 years), and Okposo (5 years) although I think we'll keep him until we bribe Seattle to take him in the expansion draft.

This team is currently built around Eichel, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Ristolainen, and Scandella. This season Mittelstadt (pbuh) should join the ranks, along with whomever we draft at 1-4.

If guys like Nylander, Guhle, and Ullmark prove their worth this season that should go a long way in rounding out the long term roster, then it's a matter of figuring out which JAGs fit best with the existing group and function well in their duties in the Housley system.

Hopeful GMJB will find some value aquistions to mix in with the system centered JAGs and they can start to look like a competitive team.

Botterill's challenge is finding guys who are up for the challenge of building something and doing so in Buffalo. If he could find 20 guys like that (some you would hope are already here, and one of them has to be Eichel), I'd be ecstatic. No names, who cares. A true youth movement would be very refreshing. As would Vegas East.

As for "great hockey market," is that a cliche these guys haul out to ballwash Buffalo? It doesn't seem to be totally based in reality.

Why does it seem that no matter what whoever is in charge does not have the skill set to build this team.

I am sick of hearing and seeing this tear down crap.

Is a version of this happening with the Bills too? The quarterback chase is a version of trying to win the lottery, which Terry has tried before. Keep the picks, build a team and find your quarterback later. Wrong thread, I know.

Is a version of this happening with the Bills too? The quarterback chase is a version of trying to win the lottery, which Terry has tried before. Keep the picks, build a team and find your quarterback later. Wrong thread, I know.

No. This isn't the same. The Bills haven't had a QB in almost 30 years worth anything. Find your QB later... the mantra of the Bills since 2001. 

I'd expect that what Friedman meant by Dahlin allows them to strip it down is it now is easier to move good supporting parts around as you now (in all probability) have a very good C & a very good D to build around.

Now Ristolainen could get traded to upgrade the F's, which allows O'Reilly &/or Reinhart to be moved to upgrade the D. And so on & so forth. But to do a trade of "strength" to bolster a weakness at present is very difficult, because the only "strength" they have - C is likely 1-2 years from being at a point where shipping out a piece doesn't make it anither weakness.

Botterill's challenge is finding guys who are up for the challenge of building something and doing so in Buffalo. If he could find 20 guys like that (some you would hope are already here, and one of them has to be Eichel), I'd be ecstatic. No names, who cares. A true youth movement would be very refreshing. As would Vegas East.

As for "great hockey market," is that a cliche these guys haul out to ballwash Buffalo? It doesn't seem to be totally based in reality.

By what metric is Buffalo NOT a great hockey market?

By what metric is Buffalo NOT a great hockey market?

It is. When I left I had to beg bars to put on playoff hockey. I knew bartenders, like we were friends, and the refused to put on playoff hockey for me in a bar. Here, I asked a bar to put on the sound for one game and they were like "hell yea we will!".  Buffalo is a great sports town in general. 

IMO he's 100% gone this summer in some sort of package 

That's what I am thinking. Risto goes for a forward. Nylander goes for a young D.  There's always prospects in every system that people feel are underachieving. 

No. This isn't the same. The Bills haven't had a QB in almost 30 years worth anything. Find your QB later... the mantra of the Bills since 2001. 

Also there is no position in hockey, probably not in all of sports, that is as uniquely important to their team as the QB is in football. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.