Botterill End Of Year Presser: Wednesday, 2pm EDT

WildCard

"We have to have a stronger leadership group"

Mentioned that it can't be one voice (Eichel). Mentioned that there are vets on this team with playoff experience that don't lead (RoR, Okposo), and there are younger guys with 3-4 years experience that don't lead (Risto, Reinhart)

Mentioned core shake up again. With the comments on Sam, does anyone still believe one of ROR or Ristolainen won’t be traded?

RoR is my bet

Interesting presser. I know we say this a lot, but he sounded genuinely pissed off. For everyone claiming this was gonna be a vanilla presser, it didn't feel like it. Goes in line with reports of him pissed off in the press box

Both for Karlsson and Bobby Ryan (need to take on due to get value aligned) e5

If you think we have a locker room issue now, Bobby Ryan isn't going to help

If anything I feel Botterill gives less sugar coated answered with regards to his players than Murray did.

Yeah he was pretty blunt

- Eichel is Eichel, growing the way we thought

- Reinhart pleasant surprise. I'll keep him

- Massive hard on for Mittelstadt

- RoR and Risto need to get their ###### together

Edited by Jokertecken

Actually having a C would be a good start, innit?

My early thought is that we again won’t have a Captain heading into next season.

Botterill’s main argument was that no one single player can lead. He’s seen the support Sid had in Pittsburgh. He came into this season hoping to see multiple players step up as leaders. He didn’t name a captain day one because he was afraid if the Mantle was awarded, less players would attempt to seize it.

It didn’t happen this year. Jack stepped up, but I think Botterill knew he would. 80 million reasons why I believe JB felt that way. He wants others to step up, too.

Try again next year.

My early thought is that we again won’t have a Captain heading into next season.

Botterill’s main argument was that no one single player can lead. He’s seen the support Sid had in Pittsburgh. He came into this season hoping to see multiple players step up as leaders. He didn’t name a captain day one because he was afraid if the Mantle was awarded, less players would attempt to seize it.

It didn’t happen this year. Jack stepped up, but I think Botterill knew he would. 80 million reasons why I believe JB felt that way. He wants others to step up, too.

Try again next year.

I agree with the bold, but I really think, given how poorly that went this year, Eichel gets it

Seems like it will be Eich, if I am reading WC's summary correctly.

I believe so

Edited by Jokertecken

Best news out of this is MODO ain't goin' nowhere.

Ullmark is officially definitely in Buffalo next year. :thumbsup:

The rest of the goaltending mix is up in the air - as it should be.

By all accounts he’s pencilled in as the starter.

He was as polished and professional as I expected with just the right touch of “you-don’t-want-to-push-me-when-the-mikes-aren’t-here”.

Sounded like a capable leader.

After listening to that I expect:

A hard push to acquire a new goalie to complement Ullmark

The ejection of a couple longstanding Sabres, including serious exploration of a core player trade.

A faster forward group

Nothing dramatic on the UFA front.

At least one of Guhle and Nelson here to start the season, probably both.

Two or three roster spots left open up front for five or six prospects to fight over.

Very little patience for anyone who isn’t pulling in his direction.

A flexible plan with no rash moves.

No argument with any of it.

You can now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast of Chicken Little, already in progress.

Edited by dudacek

Try again next year.

Then give it to Jack.  No one is going to seize it from him because everyone knows he's the man.

Having said that, I'd love it if they didn't award the letters until opening night, give Jack the C, and would be impressed if the two As were players not on the NHL roster at the start of this past season (i.e.... Mittelstadt and...?)

Edited by Anordning

It will take another few years until the depth thing is solved I think.  Until then the team will just have to get by with what's available.  For as much as Falk and Fedun are maligned around here, I expect them to be in the organ-EYE-zation next year.

Edited by Anordning

It will take another few years until the depth thing is solved I think.  Until then the team will just have to get by with what's available.  For as much as Falk and Fedune are maligned around here, I expect them to be in the organ-EYE-zation next year.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Falk and Fedun (Fedun especially is a key piece in Rochester, I believe), I just hope we can improve the guys in front of them (and add a couple)

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Falk and Fedun (Fedun especially is a key piece in Rochester, I believe), I just hope we can improve the guys in front of them (and add a couple)

Honestly, I'm not even all that averse to Gorges, provided he's confined to #7D duties.  There are times when his experience comes in handy.

What’s Jbot definition of “core?” Bogo and Lehner were acquired to be part of the core. Larsson, Girgensons and McCabe are long tenured Sabres. Are they therefore core players?

My guess if Larsson, Girgensons and McCabe are much more likely to be traded then ROR, KO, and Risto. I also suspect that the pieces of the core he is changing are Lehner and Bogo. Lehner won’t be tendered and Bogo will be bought out. Another 2 TM players sent packing.

What’s Jbot definition of “core?” Bogo and Lehner were acquired to be part of the core. Larsson, Girgensons and McCabe are long tenured Sabres. Are they therefore core players?

My guess if Larsson, Girgensons and McCabe are much more likely to be traded then ROR, KO, and Risto. I also suspect that the pieces of the core he is changing are Lehner and Bogo. Lehner won’t be tendered and Bogo will be bought out. Another 2 TM players sent packing.

Not exactly going out on a limb there, are you :lol:

Not exactly going out on a limb there, are you :lol:

No, I’m not. My point is I think people are reading to much into Jbot’s decision to move out some of the core. Our D is already missing two top 4 D. Trade Risto and now you only have Scandella. I like Guhle but he isn’t putting up 40+ points next season. Same hold true for ROR, Casey isn’t ready for that role. He may not even be ready for the NHL next season. If Taylor Hall only brought back Adam Larssom, what does ROR garner?

It’s much more telling that he harped on the bad goaltending and said he needs help for Ullmark. If I’m Lehner I’m calling the real estate company and moving vans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.