No surprise but Antipin is done for the year

Brawndo

Sabres D Victor Antipin has been diagnosed with a concussion following a hit from last night’s game against Nashville. Antipin also suffered facial lacerations, a broken nose and dental injuries. He will be out indefinitely. Antipin will travel with the team from Nashville today.

Per Sabres PR

All the facial damage was done because he was completely unconscious when he went down.  His face hit the ice.  This HAS to be suspension-worthy.  This is NOT the first time Hartnell has done this to a Sabre.  He did it when he was on the Blue Jackets in a game against Buffalo.  I can't remember when or who the Sabre was, but I do remember a similar hit.  

But yeah, no suspension

Is there official word from the NHL of no hearing?

All the facial damage was done because he was completely unconscious when he went down.  His face hit the ice.   

Very similar to Drury and LaFontaine. 

Completely missed the part last night about Faulk coming over to Hartnell at the Preds bench and the ref yelling (my best rip reading)

*get the f*** back, nows not the time...* and he's pointing directly at Faulk as he skates by. (17-24 seconds into clip)

Faulk wasn't going to talk about scoring goals to even that score. 

All the facial damage was done because he was completely unconscious when he went down.  His face hit the ice.  This HAS to be suspension-worthy.  This is NOT the first time Hartnell has done this to a Sabre.  He did it when he was on the Blue Jackets in a game against Buffalo.  I can't remember when or who the Sabre was, but I do remember a similar hit.  

But how much damage could have been done by the impact with the glass?

I just read some twitter speculation that because Nashville has already boarded a flight to get to their next game and there hasn't been a hearing announced that there is unlikely to be any hearing.  I guess typically these things are dealt with quickly before the next game is played so roster moves can be made?

That's disappointing.

But how much damage could have been done by the impact with the glass?

There was a helluva face bounce on the ice after the hit.  I'm guessing that is where the worst damage occurred.

Edited by We've

I just read some twitter speculation that because Nashville has already boarded a flight to get to their next game and there hasn't been a hearing announced that there is unlikely to be any hearing.  I guess typically these things are dealt with quickly before the next game is played so roster moves can be made?

That's disappointing.

There was a helluva face bounce on the ice after the hit.  I'm guessing that is where the worst damage occurred.

Disappointing but it should surprise no one.

Why guess as to when the damage was done? It's impossible to tell from the video. Let's call it 50% from the glass and 50% from the ice. Thankfully his visor must have protected him some, otherwise it might have been a Kevin Stevens of Pittsburgh situation.

Obviously it was not a legal hit, since the result was a major penalty.

It really looks that in slow motion the contact could have been avoided.  

Hartnell is the biggest head in the league.  When will the NHL take this seriously.  That jackass needs to be banned for life.

Why guess as to when the damage was done?

Why guess at anything we don't have all the facts for?  You get questioned about the same all the time for your posts re: Sabres/Bills management.  It's human nature, that's why.

The hit would have been just a ho-hum boarding penalty I think, if Hartnell's elbow had been lower, but to me it looks like the elbow hit the base of the neck which is why it whiplashed so violently. But I've only seen the replay twice so that may not be exactly right

Looked between the shoulder blades to me. 

What made it greasy was the puck was gone.  There was no need to finish that hit.  That's an aggressive play made for aggression's sake.  The league needs to get to a point where the players know they need to peel off from those plays.

The hit would have been just a ho-hum boarding penalty I think, if Hartnell's elbow had been lower, but to me it looks like the elbow hit the base of the neck which is why it whiplashed so violently. But I've only seen the replay twice so that may not be exactly right

That is exactly right.

The commentator on the video 11 linked upthread is a real jerk too ... (says something like) ... Hartnell plays the game hard, but he would never want to see someone get hurt.  No one in the building feels as bad as Scott right now.

I don't think that is accurate.  Hartnell always seems to intend to injure.  He looked like he did feel badly in the video and I would assume he hopes that Antpin is fine.

Edited by N S

That is exactly right.

The commentator on the video 11 linked upthread is a real jerk too ... (says something like) ... Hartnell plays the game hard, but he would never want to see someone get hurt.  No one in the building feels as bad as Scott right now.

I don't think that is accurate.  Hartnell always seems to intend to injure.  He looked like he did feel badly in the video and I would assume he hopes that Antpin is fine.

You can't play the game the way Hartnell plays and have empathy for your opponents well being.  He knows what he is doing out there.

You can't play the game the way Hartnell plays and have empathy for your opponents well being.  He knows what he is doing out there.

I agree, but I am hopeful that after the fact he is more human.  The goal needs to be for him to be more human on the ice and think about this stuff before he makes it happen.  Either that, or get him the F out of the league.

It seems that his coach has tried, but has failed.

Why guess at anything we don't have all the facts for?  You get questioned about the same all the time for your posts re: Sabres/Bills management.  It's human nature, that's why.

What made it greasy was the puck was gone.  There was no need to finish that hit.  That's an aggressive play made for aggression's sake.  The league needs to get to a point where the players know they need to peel off from those plays.

Yup he had enough time to just skate by, the puck was long gone and he should have known he couldn't get there in time.

And you could see that aggression building up throughout the game. He had tried to check, and bounced off of, at least three Sabres earlier on. So he went after the tiny one with his back turned so that he could feel like he was doing something to help the team.

That's disappointing.

If he hit his face on the ice because he was already unconscious, the glass/initial contact was a big part of it as it's where the concussion likely occurred.

Don't have all the facts or don't have any facts? What is the basis for guessing here? His face hit the glass then the ice. When did his teeth get damaged?

I agree, but I am hopeful that after the fact he is more human.  The goal needs to be for him to be more human on the ice and think about this stuff before he makes it happen.  Either that, or get him the F out of the league.

It seems that his coach has tried, but has failed.

Was that quote even real? I didn't really Randall's reference, and it might have been a joke.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.