Can the Sabres Pull An Avs Style Turnaround Next Season?

GASabresIUFAN

The Avs were an all time bad last year. 22 Wins, 48 pts, 160 goals -112 goal differential. Rookie coach. The talking heads said Sakic had no idea what he was doing, waited to long to trade Duchene, was going to field the worst D in the NHL this season etc.

This season 41 wins, 90 pts ytd, 241 goals for and fighting for a wild card spot. So what changed and can we replicate it?

First thing is Sakic stuck with his rookie coach. Second he dumped nearly every player over 30 on the roster. He added rookies from his farm system and NCAA graduate Kerfoot. He also got significant improvement from Ratanan, Zadorov and even Compher. The addition of Girard on D also helped.

So can we do the same? Their players remind me a great deal of ours, but I think we are still another year from such a turnaround. However if you go player to player it makes you feel this is possible.

For example Mackinnon vs Eichel. Nate the great is 2 years older and his numbers until this year are similar to Jacks. Jack’s might be slightly better. Jack is already a pt a game guy. If he stays healthy he easily could grow into the player Mackinnon is now.

Scandella vs Eric Johnson. Again similar players. Eric is slightly older and better offensively, but Marco isn’t far behind.

We don’t have a Varlomov unfortunately, but could Ullmark grow into that kind of player?

This season BUF paid $23 million to 5 players who totaled 135 games played (skaters), 11 goals, a -55, and a goaltender who is clearly not an NHL starter.

That's nearly 1/3 of the salary cap.

That said, it's Housley's fault haha. 

Anyway, to get better next year they need to not spend 1/3 of their cap space on garbage.

This season BUF paid $23 million to 5 players who totaled 135 games played (skaters), 11 goals, a -55, and a goaltender who is clearly not an NHL starter.

Anyway, to get better next year they need to not spend 1/3 of their cap space on garbage.

I need you to get into your time machine and have a chat with TM.

Okposo has 1 goal and 2 assists at even strength over his last 25 games

it's a problemo 

Also, even though he has some peeper points, the way he telegraphs his shot with the 10 second windup allowing the goalie to get over, while still taking it anyway, has led to him being the reason that the puck gets cleared 75% of the time on unit 1. 

It will be impossible to convince Phil or any NHL head coach to not give Kyle playing time next year, because coaches n vets n doing things the right way blah blah, even though he's clearly not an NHLer, but if I was a GM I'd make it my goal to upgrade this roster to the point where that is an incredibly painful decision

Edited by Randall Flagg

Okposo has 1 goal and 2 assists at even strength over his last 25 games

it's a problemo 

Also, even though he has some peeper points, the way he telegraphs his shot with the 10 second windup allowing the goalie to get over, while still taking it anyway, has led to him being the reason that the puck gets cleared 75% of the time on unit 1. 

It will be impossible to convince Phil or any NHL head coach to not give Kyle playing time next year, because coaches n vets n doing things the right way blah blah, even though he's clearly not an NHLer, but if I was a GM I'd make it my goal to upgrade this roster to the point where that is an incredibly painful decision

I don't think KO has reached Moulson levels of ineffectiveness, and I think he adds some value, but he is nowhere near the top-6 weapon we were hoping for.  Certainly if another team were willing to take him, I would trade him in a heartbeat.

I think we're stuck with him though.

Another great GMTM move.

KO deserves a little bit of a break and a full off-season of training before we completely write him off. Lets not forget that one year ago, exactly, he was fighting for his life in ICU.

It's terrible luck, and I want him to succeed more than anybody else on that team, but he very possibly could be very permanently broken.

KO deserves a little bit of a break and a full off-season of training before we completely write him off. Lets not forget that one year ago, exactly, he was fighting for his life in ICU.

I'm very aware that he was in ICU. That only makes me more convinced that this is who he is. 

His hands were never good, I've been laughing about them since the Winnipeg game a week into his first season here. They've degraded to flat out awful. He was never fast, and people his age don't suddenly get faster - now his speed is flat out awful. 

It's over, and I'm scared for him that he's one hit away from it being OVER. 

I'm very aware that he was in ICU. That only makes me more convinced that this is who he is. 

His hands were never good, I've been laughing about them since the Winnipeg game a week into his first season here. They've degraded to flat out awful. He was never fast, and people his age don't suddenly get faster - now his speed is flat out awful. 

It's over, and I'm scared for him that he's one hit away from it being OVER. 

I think KO was much better this season from about November until his concussion.  I agree that he looks much worse since returning.

His return to form pre-concussion this year, plus me not thinking that he looks as bad as you think he does, makes me think there's a reasonable possibility that he'll be a pretty decent player next year and thereafter.  So I'm not quite in despair about him yet.

But (i) he could suffer another concussion anytime and (ii) he certainly doesn't look like a good top-6 forward right now, which is what they need from him.

Good luck with that one... Next season, the Sabres will be paying $24 million to the following 6 untradeable future NHL Hall of Famers: Kyle Okposo, Zach Bogosian, Matt Moulson, Jason Pominville, Johan Larsson, Nathan Bieuauauaaleuuouuuou.

Good luck with that one... Next season, the Sabres will be paying $24 million to the following 6 untradeable future NHL Hall of Famers: Kyle Okposo, Zach Bogosian, Matt Moulson, Jason Pominville, Johan Larsson, Nathan Bieuauauaaleuuouuuou.

I'm not sure the cap is an issue for next year.  With Casey we are at 15 players for next year for 57.258 (this includes Moulson in the cap, but not the Roster).  Add at least 4 for Reinhart and you have 9 forwards, 6D and 1g for 61.258.  That leaves about 18-20 mill to  fill 6-7 roster slots.  Add in cheap additions like Smith, Bailey and Baptiste, and we should have plenty of money to find 3-4 upgrades for next season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

F. $24mil?

That's 2 and half Ovechkins.

Edited by pi2000

Brutal.

I'm not sure the cap is an issue for next year.  With Casey we are at 15 players for next year for 57.258 (this includes Moulson in the cap, but not the Roster).  Add at least 4 for Reinhart and you have 9 forwards, 6D and 1g for 61.258.  That leaves about 18-20 mill to  fill 6-7 roster slots.  Add in cheap additions like Smith, Bailey and Baptiste, and we should have plenty of money to find 3-4 upgrades for next season.

Good data though.

I looked at how the Avs were built and you’ll be surprised how many Jags they acquired to get this done.

Mackinnon - draft 1-1 2013

Landeskog - draft 1-2 2011

Rantanen - draft 1-10 2015

Barrie - draft 3-64 2009

Lindholm - draft 5-144 2014

Jost - draft 1-10 2016

Kerfoot - FA NCAA 2017/18

Yakupov - FA NHL 2017/18

Bernier - FA NHL 2017/18

Comeau - FA NHL 2015/16

Zadorov - trade ROR

Compher - trade ROR

Johnson - trade 2/2011w Stl

Soderberg - trade & sign deal w Bos 6/2015

Varlomov - trade w Wash in 7/2011

Andrighetto - trade 3/2017 w Mon

Wilson - trade w Nsh 7/2017 for a 2019 4th

Girard - trade Duchene 11/2017

Nieto - waiver claim 1/2017

Barberio - waiver claim 2/2017

G Bourque - PTO 9/2016

Nemath - waiver claim 10/2017

Only new faces this season: Girard, Nemath, Yakupov, Wilson, Bernier, and Kerfoot.

So does our roster really look all that different?

Jack vs Mackinnon

Sam vs Rantanen - before going crazy on me, look at Miko’s 38 pts last season

ROR vs Landeskog

Casey vs Jost (Jost has 20 pts ytd)

Risto vs Barrie

Scandella vs Johnson

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

As GA says, Avs are built around 1 super -line of Mackinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog.

Wouldn't mind the Sabres trying to do the same next year with the Eichel line by putting the best 3 forwards on the same line.

I’ve called for that since we drafted the kid. Everyone wants balanced lines, but when you have 2-3 decent wingers tops, it doesn’t make sense IMO.

Top load and fill out the rest with bulldogs.

Edited by We've

I’ve called for that since we drafted the kid. Everyone wants balanced lines, but when you have 2-3 decent wingers tops, it doesn’t make sense IMO.

Top load and fill out the rest with bulldogs.

wow we agree on something.

Besides Lemmy being the Man that is!

I've wanted to see Jack and ROR get an extended stay together since Jack's first game. Sure, it's nice having a guy who can survive murderous usage, but it's not as if we've been overwhelmingly successful doing that, why not try to maximize our second best offensive player's OFFENSE instead?

I could see this happening too but probably not next season with Mittelstadt being a rookie.

It can happen but basically everything has to go right and the all the new pieces have to click. O'Reilly is a good two way center but if he's your top center your team is toast. If he's cetering your third line you're probably a contender.

Now we just have to get enough ancillary pieces to make that happen. Mittelstadt and a top 4 pick probably aren't enough to get that done next season, but it's a good start. We just need to move out some dead wood from the roster while hoping their replacements prove to be upgrades. If GMJB knows what he's doing the process starts next season and it comes to fruition shortly after. We'll see how it goes.

Edited by Alkoholist

Another reason to think this is possible is that the Sabres are 8-6-2 against the top 6 teams in the league (Tor, Bos, TB, Wpg, Nsh and LV).

I’m not against a super line, but Sam and Ryan don’t have the speed to play with Jack 5 on 5. Jbot’s primary goal is to find Jack the right two wingers. They could be Casey and a player from this draft. I’m wondering if to maximize Jack we really just needs one fast high skilled winger and a fore checker on the other side.

Girgensons Jack Casey

Or

ERod Jack Casey

The biggest concern is Casey not being ready for such an important role on the team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.